main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Running - (A L/M Vignette) Thank you for the award! 8/12

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by MirandaFair, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Title: Running
    Author: MirandaFair
    Characters: Luke and Mara Jade Skywalker
    Genre: Romance/fluff
    Timeline: L/M's honeymoon after "Union."
    Summary: Letting go of the past is hard to do. Moving on to face the future, that can be even more difficult for a person. Mara Jade Skywalker receives some unexpected advice while away on her and Luke's honeymoon.
    Author's Note: Thanks for reading!
    Salius is an original planet. Thank you to RedGold for reading this over and with the help in picking out a title. There is also a PM chapter. If anyone would like to read it, and if you're 18 or over, please let me know.

Written in honor of ginchy's birthday.
    Happy Birthday, Twin!!! I hope you enjoy!

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Sunset was almost complete. Its showcase of grand ochre hues submitted to the violet-black skies of night. In the distance, waves splashed and tickled the gray sands that made up the unique shoreline of the planet Salius. Music came from a stringed quartet whose sounds carried over lightly on the air, filling in the highs and lows of conversation.

Sitting across from each other, dining in one of Salius' top restaurants were newlyweds Levin and Cora Bennett. They blended in well with fellow patrons, most of whom were couples. A table for two was always the most requested party number in reservations and rooms at the seaside resort.

The groom placed his hand onto his new wife's and smiled. He never thought she could be more beautiful than on their wedding day. How wrong he was.

In the center of their table burned a single candle, the glow making her skin even more radiant, her green eyes glittering with change. A gentle breeze came in and shifted a lock of his beloved's red hair. Reaching across the divide that separated their physical closeness, he tucked the wandering lock back behind her ear.

She blinked at his unexpected gesture. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," he said, resting his chin in the palm of his hand, he continued to gaze adoringly at her.

The bride suddenly felt uneasy. Why was he staring at her so strangely? Did she have something on her face? Quickly, quietly to herself she regretted not ordering the calpase salad. The journey to their destination left her so hungry for anything but dehydrated food and ration bars. She ended up choosing the plumeria roast with berry-nut sauce instead. Bringing a napkin up to her lips, she brushed it lightly across and dabbed at the corners of her mouth. When she looked down to see if it had collected whatever her husband was staring at, it annoyed her to see that the cloth was unmarked.

"What?" she asked, with a shrug of her shoulders.

"What?" he repeated, obviously confused.

"Why are you looking at me that way?"

"What way?" He laughed and shook his head. "Can't a man admire the woman of his dreams?"

Luke Skywalker knew he still had a lot to learn about women, his woman the Jedi Master corrected himself, but he also knew his wife had just as much to learn about him.

"Oh, please," she dropped her voice to a low growl. Moving up an inch to the front of her seat, she spoke in low tones. "Come on, Luke. What are you looking at? I know I'm not fashioning my food, here."

"Cora," he corrected her. "There's nothing wrong. You just look lovely, that's all."

Mara Jade Skywalker's eyes narrowed.

"That's all?" she echoed suspiciously. Old doubts began to subside, but a new emotion made itself known by the tinge of pink that burned at her cheeks. "Well, aren't I the paranoid fool?"

"Yes," said Luke soothingly. "But you're my paranoid fool."

"Watch it there, flyboy," warned Mara, placing the napkin back on the table. "There's a settee in our suite that has your name on it if you continue down this dark path."

Luke's smile faded and he frowned. "You wouldn't."

"I would, too," she replied more strongly than she had intended, however, her heart melted at the sight

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Beautiful! [face_love]

"My whole life I've been alone. Believe me when I say, alone. I never thought I'd settle down. I guess I had predetermined long ago that I didn't need a man in my life. That was just a fate that didn't fit me. Especially since the one man who I trusted the most, who had the biggest part in my life was what made it wrong in the first place."

While Mara couldn't believe she was spilling her feelings out to this woman, it surprised her that she felt better in doing so.

"The past," the old lady (who Mara had now nicknamed 'Faded Red') talked with sincerity, "is hard to escape. We mustn't let it dictate to us the course of the rest of our lives. We can only learn from it, the mistakes it brought. Then and only then, young one, is when we can move on."

Mara's heart rate finally slowed and she stared over at the woman.

"I love him," she said. "More than I ever thought I could love anyone. However, with how things have been, everything going on outside of our relationship... I don't know if I can face the risk of failure and overcome it."

Faded Red looked out to the ocean, then closing her eyes, she took a deep breath. "Life's journey is a gamble we all take from the day we are born." She turned back to Mara, "but with your red hair, I'd say you are the risk taking type."

Mara laughed. "As I'm sure you were."

"Are," the woman corrected, a glint sparked in likened eyes. "It takes one to know one."

[face_love] =D=

3. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    *ginchy rubs palms together*

My birthday riches!! My birthday riches!!

Oh... um... ;) :D [:D]

Twin, you KNOW I love this!!!! I love every word of it! You captured Mara's early uncertainty beautifully and the fact that Faded Red was an Older Mara... and she and Luke are still very much in love and happy...!!! [face_love]

We SO need older L/M's side of this! What a laugh they'd have at the expense of their younger selves!!

Favorite bits:

"Shh," he walked over and kneeled in front of her. With one arm around the small of her back, he started to kiss her neck.

"Aren't you going to show me what's inside the box?" she asked, somewhat distracted by Luke's passing contact but her curiosity peaked with the gift of petals.

SO romantic!! [face_love]

Mara shared one last kiss with Luke before rolling over to her side. He followed her and they held each other in an embrace. Rose petals circled and danced to the floor's surface as Luke shifted the covers to enclose their entangled bodies.

[face_mischief] [face_love] =P~

She turned back to Mara, "but with your red hair, I'd say you are the risk taking type."

Mara laughed. "As I'm sure you were."

"Are," the woman corrected, a glint sparked in likened eyes. "It takes one to know one."

hahahahaha, yes! Redheads (and twinnies) RULE!!

I love it, lady!!! Thank you so much! [:D] :D

4. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I read this over at SWFF this morning and totally guessed the author wrong. 8-} (But it makes sense now. I'd forgotten who your master is. [face_mischief] ;) )

LOVE it, gal!! =D=

Beautiful imagery and is Hot Husband!Luke not to DIE for?? =P~ Rose petals, champagne, chocolates..... [face_love] I wanna be Mara in my next life. [face_batting] (Yah, I know, take a number, right? LOL!)

I really like the segment at the end, on the beach. Perfect moment of realization for Mara and, like I said over there, I wouldn't mind finding out who won that race.... ;)

Wonderful, lovely vig!!

[:D] [:D][:D]

5. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    FAN-TABULOUS!!!! [face_love] You captured them both. Loved the banter and the romance and the insights!!

LOL Moment: "Yes," said Luke soothingly. "But you're my paranoid fool."

Just wonderful! Bravo! =D=

6. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Mara shifted her sights and an older man with piercing blue eyes made his way to Faded Red's side. He helped her up and gave her a loving kiss.

"All set?" the voice Mara knew so well asked the elderly lady.

"Yes, Luke," she smiled at her younger self. "I think I'll be all right to go now."

They turned away from Mara, walking up the wooden boards towards the rising sun.

Aawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...! :D

Beautiful viggie!

7. WyoJedi

WyoJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 2005
    Ok, a quick question... is it ok for a manly man to squee for joy over a fic?

Squee! I hope I did that right :p

Anyway, on to the fic. This was so amazingly sweet and romantic and warmhearted and purely enjoyment. You have done such a fantastic job of capturing Luke and Mara's personalities and weaving it into a magnificent setting and situation. One can truly understand Mara's fears and how torn she is.

I also loved the vision of Mara and Luke in their later years and that they would still be so in love and romantic with each other. So touching. Thank you for such a great story!

Cheers,
    Wyo

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Lands, but that rocked big mega time!!!!!!!!
    Chocolate and rose petals!!!!!!
    Loved Faded Red's wisdom! Loved the L/M-ness!!
    Had the adjustment fun of Breaking In and the growing into even deeper love of Odd Kind of Honeymoon. [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

Miranda, you're the bomb!! [:D] [:D]
    Yes, Wyo, it's OK to SQUEEEEEE! [face_laugh]

9. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Oh, so beautiful! And who knew L/M went to Aruba?

How completely romantic.[face_batting]

The opening scene is gorgeous.

10. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Beautifully written and oh so poignant. The way you presented the vision of the future was great - I loved the ambiguity - and it introduced a nice theme of timeless love. Very cool. :)

11. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    That was just beautiful [face_love] Gorgeous description, wonderful mush, and some great insight into character.

Before he could turn away to get dressed, Mara cut in delicately. "Thanks, Luke. I just need some time."

He froze where he stood. "Time?" repeated Luke, his brow furrowed.

"Yes," Mara nodded. "Time."

"Away from me?" Luke questioned, tring to cover up the hurt with mixed confusion.

Mara sighed. Wounding him was exactly what she didn't want to do. "Don't you ever feel you need a moment to yourself?"

He studied Mara's face, trying to figure out what thoughts were brewing within her. "Perhaps."

I can empathise with Mara on this - it must be so hard to her to suddenly be a wife - surrounded by someone 24/7, even if it is the man she loves. Good things she was able to get some advice from an unlikely source.

*rushes to SWFF*

12. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    [:D] [face_love]

Wonderful to see you branching out, Miranda! And what a lovely gift for a ginchy!! Happy Birthday to you!

This is such a sweet story--and very Mara-like. I'm sure she would have struggled with giving up her independence. I love the way you brought wise advice to her!

Great job!

oldj

13. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Beautiful, beautiful story! [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

Ginchy should have a birthday every day. ;)

14. Blue_Milkshake

Blue_Milkshake Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 18, 2005
    Ah, a lovely story. And I like the idea of Mara and Luke growing old together very much. @};-

15. MirandaFair

Jun 13, 2005
    Thank you to everyone for reading!!! @};-

VaderLVR64: Thank you so much for stopping by and reading, Mama! That was one of my favorite and most honest parts to write for Mara. It's wonderful to see that you like this.

ginchy: I couldn't be happier that you loved your birthday present! [:D] I'm glad your day was super special. Thank you for all your feedback! Your words mean so much and I had lot's of fun writing this. I knew you'd get a kick out of the "redhead" comment. I promise that someday I'll write a companion piece from an older L/M POV. *Imperial Scouts Honor!* [face_peace] ;)

Jedi_Trace: Hi, Traci!!! Thank you for both comments here and at SWFF. [:D] I get all giddy knowing that my "voice" in this wasn't a stand out as I'm trying to vary and grow as a writer. That's a huge compliment! And yes, I tried to incorporate a lot of girly romantic points in this...ginchy is a Queen of Mush...so I had to do things right. Maybe someday we'll find out who won the race. ;) Thank you again!

Jade_Pilot: Hi, JP! Many thanks for reading/responding. I know what a big Mara fan you are...so reading that this was insightful and it "worked" with the romance and banter makes me smile a big toothy grin from ear to ear. :D

Golden_Jedi: Thank you, Goldie! I never thought my writing could produce an "Awww." Usually it's a character blurting out in pain. Haha! Never the mush factor. So pleased that this struck a chord in your heart! [face_love]

WyoJedi: Ok, a quick question... is it ok for a manly man to squee for joy over a fic?

Squee, away!:cool: It's an honor to see a "manly man" enjoy this. YAY! I was going for sweet, mush that warms up that heart, and an insight into what a change going from one to two might have been on Mara. My favorite part might have been when older Luke comes up to older Mara and they walk together towards the sun. Just the image is timeless and that love never ages. Thank YOU for reading! :)

Jade_eyes: Had the adjustment fun of Breaking In and the growing into even deeper love of Odd Kind of Honeymoon.

Wow.:eek: [face_blush] I'm speechless you put "Running" along with those two great fics. That means so much and is a huge compliment. Deepest thanks for your words and enthusiasm! [:D]

divapilot: And who knew L/M went to Aruba?

[face_laugh]

Hi, Diva! I based Salius somewhat on my area - minus the palm trees/tropical feel (as I said over at SWFF). ;) Today, it's so cold here. I wish I was basking in the sun in Aruba. The opening I wanted to leave a question as to who this couple was...but we L/M fans knowing hopefully it was them incognito. ;)

Tahi: I loved the ambiguity - and it introduced a nice theme of timeless love.

Hello, Tahi! Timeless love was precisely the theme I was trying to convey. I think I'm worried what might happen in "Sacrifice" so I'm sure that that had a part in how I presented L/M's bond. Thank you so much. :D

JadeLotus: Hey, girl! I agree, it must have been such a drastic change from going to being an individual to being a half of a whole. It's crazy for a regular person but I'm sure it was something of an adjustment for Mara especially. Thank you, thank you! :D

oldjedinurse: Hello, my friend. :) Thank you always for your honest words and encouragement. I guess beyond my action buff exterior there's a big, icy ball of mush on the inside waiting to melt. Hee! I always wondered how an older, wiser Mara would perceive her younger, wilder, harder self. If there's anyone she'd listen to it might be someone who knows her best. Herself. ;) Again, my thanks!

Jedi-2B: Aww...thank you very much! @};-

Blue_Milkshake: Hello and thank you! L/M are such a loving and interesting couple of characters. They've got a bunch of t

16. Countess_Claria

Countess_Claria Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2007
    Such a lovely story!

17. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    =D= I kind of had the feeling that the woman was an older Mara, seen through the Force. Loved their talk, and everything else too!

18. furrylittlebantha

furrylittlebantha Jedi Master star 3

Dec 2, 2005
    Okay, I lurked through the first reading, but the second time around was so dang good that I have to tell you about it. Wow, that opening! I know a fic is going to be good when I can visualize things from the very first paragraph. People are right, the L/M is utterly gush-worthy and totally sqeee-worthy--and I've never used the word squee before in my life! My favorite part, though, was the conversation between Faded Red and Mrs. Bennet. Truly poignant and touching. My favorite part of that scene was the two Lukes calling their wives--so nice to know hotness is timeless! I'll come when ya call, baby. [face_love] He's mine, ladies. Although I'll share him with Miranda, since she made me so happy by writing this fic.

19. MirandaFair

Jun 13, 2005
    Countess_Claria: I'm so pleased you enjoyed this! Thank you for reading. [:D]

Jedi_Tigris: Hello and thank you! I couldn't be happier to read you loved their talk. If there was anyone Mara would take advice from, it might just be an older and wiser version of herself. ;)

furrylittlebantha: furry, thank you for delurking! I'm even more honored you read this a second time around. "Running" was my first attempt at writing mush and I'm thrilled to have gotten a "Sqeee" (was it? [face_laugh]) out of you. As far as sharing Luke goes. Hey, I'd share the farmboy. No problemo there. Again, thank you for your kind and enthusiastic review. [:D]

My thanks to everyone! Your words still have me smiling so hard my cheeks are beginning to hurt. :D Ouch. ;)

Much love,
    Mir
    @};-

20. MirandaFair

Jun 13, 2005
    Just noticed a reader was sweet enough to remember this story and nommed Mara for Best Canon Interpretation, Female. Thank you so much! Good luck to everyone whose work has been nominated so far.

[:D] @};-

21. Klimt_Of_Tornesdal

Klimt_Of_Tornesdal Jedi Master star 3

Dec 8, 1999
    Hey Miranda, just wanted to pitch in and say how much I enjoyed this.

I especially loved the touch with the gift box (Chocolate. Figures :p ) and who Red turned out to be. I must admit, that blindsided me a little - I was expecting it to be they go their seperate ways, Red passes on, and Mara finds out after the fact that it was her mother. Perhaps too angsty, but the way you wrote it was really well done. Congrats on the nomination - it's well deserved.

22. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Aww, how beautiful! [face_love]
    This viggie was wonderful!

I really liked Mara's vison/older self helping her. =D=

Very well done! =D=

23. desertgirl

desertgirl Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2006
    I read this a bit ago and I thought I had responded. Oops. This is one of my favorite tellings of Luke and Mara's time after their wedding. Everything from their cover names (that's so like them) to the freshness of their romance, it's perfect. I saw that you were intending this to be more of a short story. I do hope you continue writing this as it has wonderful room for growth both story wise are character wise. Your Luke and Mara are as always true in every way. Miranda, I am definitely a fan of your work, even though I may not post much. ;)

24. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Did I forget to post on this????? NNOOOOOOO!!!!!

You knew I loved it from the moment I got the sneak peak. ;)

Congrats on your noms!!

25. thusspakezarathustra

thusspakezarathustra Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2006
    very nice. Soooo good to read a fic like this now after . . . . :( [shakes fist at LFL]

The descriptions were very nice indeed and the dialogue was just the way I like it. :)

"Yes," said Luke soothingly. "But you're my paranoid fool."
    LOL LOVE that line. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.