main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Russia: its impact on the world, its invasion of Ukraine, and its future

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I did not say he staged it. I said I would not be surprised.

I mentioned that one earlier on I think.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  2. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Yeah I'm not really seeing a difference. Given the amount of evidence that he actually was poisoned by the FSB (Germany's confirmation and Bellingcat's investigation) saying "I wouldn't be surprised if he did it to himself" is as bad as flat out stating it.

3. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    What you personally see is up to you but you lose any credibility when you use Bellingcat as a reliable source.

4. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    So Iran didn't shoot down the Ukrainian airliner, Russia didn't shoot down the Malaysian airliner, Skripal wasn't poisioned by the GRU, and the U.S. didn't bomb the Al-Jinah mosque? Good to know!

But apparently you wouldn't be surprised that Navalny poisoned himself. Gotcha.

5. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    I don't know what you are talking about but you certainly should calm down a bit, do some Yoga, read again what I wrote and spread your hate against me when your accusations fit to what I said.
    Iran shot down what? 8-} Did they shoot down anything recently ? Maybe I missed it

6. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Iran shot down a Ukrainian flight leaving Tehran last January after they mistook it for a cruise missile. This happened just days after the assassination of General Soleimani, which was why the Iran defense forces were so jumpy. Bellingcat did an indepth analysis on the missile strike and where it came from. This was pretty big news pre pandemic.

As for the rest of your post about telling me to calm down and do Yoga or whatever, quite frankly you're just embarassing yourself. Bellingcat did indepth investigations of all those things I posted about it, which were later confirmed. So the accusation that they are not reliable is a silly one.

7. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    Yes, but what has Navalny to do with Iran? What are you even talking about? I am embarassing myself because you spread off topic hate against me? The topic was Navalny's personality and not Putin is bad or Iran airplanes or PG does not like Smurfs. Calm down mate.

Btw the US shot down an Iranian plane and no one cared (except the relatives of the passengers)

8. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    I honestly can't tell whether you've forgotten what you posted about Bellingcat or you're deliberately being difficult. I'll slow-walk you through the conversation we just had

You posted the following. Bolded for emphasis

I quoted that statement and posted this

Because those were all things that Bellingcat had confirmed. The reason I posted those examples was to counter your implication that Bellingcat was not reliable.

I was under the impression that it was obvious that turn in conversation was about Bellingcat. Had I been aware that you were under the impression that this was in relation to Navalny in particular, I would've been clearer in spelling it out.

But yeah the comments about me needing to do Yoga or calm down or think I have a grudge against you are superfluous. We apparently were on different wavelengths.

9. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Funny to imagine this discussion taking place between the characters in your avatars.
    Calvin and Smurf Emperor.

10. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Lol,

I though the same thing when you and I had a US politics discussion and it was a Space Marine from Warhammer 40k and a Lego Toydarian.

11. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    You know the Lego Toydarian always wins.

12. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm just going to come in here to point out one thing:
    This post is a prime example of how westerners will shove anything under the rug and excuse away any behavior in order to defend an "opposition leader" in a country we don't like.

Stop blindly supporting anyone who gets labelled an "opposition leader."

13. anakincol

Jul 28, 2009
    Than how was Lego Anakin Freed?

gezvader28 likes this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Navalny was poisoned by the FSB. Nobody who’s being serious disputes that. The only people I see online who dispute that are hardcore Putin apologists, including his far-right European allies.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  15. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    @Darth Smurf
    Smurf, what you’ve done here is not good form. You shouldn’t quote people out of context, and you should NEVER edit their quotes in a serious conversation.

There are times in Community where we will jokingly edit one another’s posts, and say “fixed this for you”. But those are JCC threads. This is the Senate, it’s held to a higher standard - I’m sure you understand why.

People, for those interested - here’s a link to the original quote:

Russia: its impact on the world, and its future

PLAY NICE - I’M WATCHING

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  16. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Huh? I do that all the time with Republicans in the US Politics thread.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  17. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    And you are blue like me.

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    This is a pretty bluesy place, I’ve noticed.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s good to hear and see. Navalny might be sketchy. But he is better than Putin. Even if let’s say Navalny was the exact same as Putin except he was pro gay marriage. I would still prefer him over Putin.

21. anakincol

Jul 28, 2009
    Baba Dee baba die

22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    We now have two straight weekends of massive protests spanning Russia, and the Putin regime responding with its most brutal crackdown in decades. This isn’t just about Navalny, @Darth Smurf, an admittedly flawed opposition leader. It’s simply about people being fed up with any criticism of the Putin regime being met with poisoning, and Putin trying to retain his dictatorial hold on power for life (even after he nominally steps down).

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    After listening to a podcast yesterday about Navalny and his opposition to Putin, I came away with the idea that Navalny would also be a ****ty leader because he’s a nationalist bigot and would at best be comparable to a right-wing libertarian along the lines of Rand Paul—but he would still be better than Putin in that he believes in democracy.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    There is absolutely no doubt that Russia has some sort of authoritarian government but Navalny certainly is not the solution.
    Didn't Trump call the US being reigned by a corrupt deep state too? Still didn't make him a good choice.
    Many people can be fed up with something but still do not support a weirdo just because he is fed up with the same thing too.
    What would you say if you could ask every Russian what he thinks of Putin and the majority would tell you that they still support him while they are fed up with corrupt elements in the system - maybe because they still remember the Sovjet Union and the Jelzin chaos?
    There are more people in Russia than Navalny opposing the current system and I am pretty sure that people in Russia are able to sort things out by themselves.
    Btw. some ten thousands spread over more than 20 cities I would not call massive protests.

A guy calling a certain ethnicity rodents to be erased. Really?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  25. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    No

Belief in democracy isn't the red line. Somehow racism and xenophobia is acceptable as long as the system supported is own where people vote?