main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Russia: its impact on the world, its invasion of Ukraine, and its future

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    Is it that hard for Amnesty International to offer some details about what makes these other locations viable, about what makes the difference between acceptable risk to civilians and what does not? “Believe us, we’re Amnesty International” is not going to cut it for me. I am not taking the Ukrainian Armed Forces word on it either, they’ve been issuing out white propaganda since February 24th. I wish someone would back up their claims with thought process, sources, and evidence and a view of the whole picture.

Back to Gettysburg, can any amount of civilian death in war be acceptable? How do we decide what is acceptable? How does Amnesty International? Both Jennie Wade and the 50-year old man in the AI report shared similar deaths. Both gave food to the soldiers staying nearby, both were killed by close military strikes, Jennie by a Minie ball that ripped through her chest.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Russia I think it was them also suggested that North Korean “workers” could be used to help rebuild the Donbas. You know your the good guys when you use slave labor from another country. But this is just PR no way Kim let’s even one regular trooper out of Korea. The amount they can learn about the world is to much even if they don’t defect.

3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Amnesty International does not have the capacity to offer such military expertise. They are a human rights group that offers recommendations on how to improve the human rights of the Ukrainian public, and protect civilian lives. It is now up to the UAF to absorb these recommendations and determine if they are doable within the context of their military strategy.

It's important to note that Amnesty's reporting on Russia has made it clear that they are committing mass atrocities, and that any deficiencies on the UAF side pale in comparison to the brutality of what Russia is doing.

The outrage over this report, IMO, has more to do with a misunderstanding of the role of human rights NGOs than anything else. They're just doing their job. And we should welcome that.

mnjedi and Point Given like this.
  4. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
  5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Meaningless political garbage. We should designate ourselves a state sponsor of terrorism.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Russia continues to prove they are by far the worst government in Europe and one of the worst in the world.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Russia isn't in Europe.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That's how bad they are at being a European government!

9. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I don't see why Europe wouldn't welcome it with open arms. It's got gas!

10. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Russia is in Eurasia, not Europe, nor Asia. :p

Bor Mullet likes this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Not all of it. Correct. But it and Turkey are both in two continents. Your not going to convince me it’s not.

although to be fair I think the fine line of where Europe ends and Asia begins is pretty stupid.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  12. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Russia was born in Europe. It conquered parts of Asia later on, but it is very much a European country, mostly inhabited by Europeans, almost always ruled by Europeans, its central culture entirely European, and it is arguably the country that still carries the most of old Europe's legacies.

So yes, Russia is in Europe.

13. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Heh. Russia is in Europe. You know, LordBan, you said that there were a ton of echoes on the threads once. But I think it’s all about disparate voices like Vaderize, Anakinfan, Watto, Bacon, and the Yodas talking about the common sense solutions to these damn messes.

As for this war, I want it to end. Crazy as it sounds, wish the multipolar powers would force Putin to stop it. But that’s not going to happen soon. I’m honestly wondering how long the concept of Russia can remain. The different cultures within the country have been manipulated against each other by tsarism, communism, and now Putinism. The only solution I can see is them putting a stop to their own leaders. As it is, though, it comes off like a far-right dystopia and one of the weirder ones at that. Happens in small countries all the time. This is just a big example of it.

on a more humorous note, this website thinks me typing “trying” is me typing hexing. Lol. Oh, my. Technology is funny.

14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    A lot of it (including its most populous bits) is also geographically on the European subcontinent…

Russia is therefore physically in Europe, and is culturally European.

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I know Putin himself likes to say they are neither, but they are both. Geographically of course. No one would say Moscow or Kaliningrad or Saint Petersburg isn’t in Europe. And as Lordban said the only reason they have any Asian territory at all is because they colonized and invaded it. From Europe.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Anyway. Ukraine blew up some airbase in Crimea.

but Russia is saying it was an accident. Does Russia understand how that’s worse. It’s worse to say we are so incompetent our air bases and ammo depots blow up on their own.

I mean they said the same thing with their flagship. So I shouldn’t be surprised

Sarge likes this.
  17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    So Russia confirms they want to trade the arms dealer for Griner and an American spy. This isn’t worth it. Sorry to both of them. But no not worth it at all

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  19. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
  20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I find it hard to believe that Russia would do anything to contribute to any sort of incident at a nuclear power plant in Ukraine.

21. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    So do I. I'm just tired of the perpetual war.

22. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Russia currently controls the nuclear plant, they want it in tact and its output re-routed to supply electricity to occupied territory and Russia proper. Any claims that they're going to shell it or use it as some kind of weapon of mass destruction are dubious.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    Glitterstimm and Sarge like this.
  23. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Yeah, that makes more sense. But I don't know how Ukraine could retrieve it. How much of their own territory do they control now? Oh, nm. BBC has an up-to-date map. What a deal.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Russia would be stupid to purposefully destroy a nuclear power plant. The one that’s been in the news lately will be hard to destroy from the outside. So I am not afraid of Ukraine shelling it into a melt down either. Honestly it’s just the news pumping up a story. It’s still something to look out for since Russia is very stupid if they truly are using it to store ammunition, but again unless they are beyond incompetent it won’t melt down. As far as I am aware it’s the same Ukrainian engineers as before the invasion. So hopefully they can handle any emergency.

Ukraine is stupid for continuing to attack the plant. Russia is dumb for attacking it in the first place and using it as a base.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The concerns are not about a deliberate attack. It’s about accidents. And as we already saw from previously in the war, Russian soldiers fired on a nuclear plant accidentally. War is unpredictable, and so having a war near nuclear power plants is not good.