main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Russia: its impact on the world, its invasion of Ukraine, and its future

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Normally I wouldn’t think anyone would be dumb enough to hit a nuclear plant with artillery, but apparently that’s what they’re going to do:

Russia has occupied the location for months, so why is Kiev shelling it now? Enerhodar is 35mi from nearest front lines, which are west, across the Dnipro, too far for RuAF batteries to be there. Are they trying to create an international incident to force another level of Western intervention? After the much promised southern offensive seems to have evaporated, we have to consider that Zelensky may be going “bunker mode”. The Thomas Friedman column from last week that said the White House was not happy with Zel, not a good sign for him . . .

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    (Russia shelling Ukraine forces at a nuclear power station) "How monstrous it is to hide troops at a nuclear plant, that's blackmail and highly irresponsible".
    The UN has been trying to get Russia to allow independent forces to come to the plant but Russia keeps being evasive. I wonder why that is?
    Also, Freidman, lol.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Maybe Russia shouldn’t have fired on it in the first place. Both sides are stupid I agree. But Russia is the one who decided to turn it into a military base and store ammunition there. That’s beyond stupid.

4. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    Why would Russia shell a nuclear plant they have controlled since March? Zelensky has already admitted that his forces attacked it.

How do you know Russia is storing ammo there? I've seen some accusations floating around from the Ukraine side, but haven't seen confirmation myself, and it doesn't make sense for a forward staging base, the location is not good for that. They do have a legitimate reason to station troops there, for security. Ukrainian right-wing extremists have called for saboteur/terrorist attacks on the plant.

Lol fair enough, but goofy as he is, he does have contacts throughout US foreign policy apparatus, and is known for disseminating messaging on their behalf. Hate him as much as you like (I'm no fan myself) but if Zel can't keep Freidman onboard than the ship is not steady-as-she-goes.

5. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    They wouldn't benefit in the slightest, apart from cutting off power to Ukraine and giving ammo for pro-Russian social media to rush to blame Ukraine as well.
    Maybe you missed the whole point about neutral United Nations experts being denied access to the location by the Russians, so I'll repeat it again. Here's Russia denying a request to create a DMZ at the plant.
    There's no reason for soldiers to be there, period. And Russia doesn't really have a good reputation when it comes to nuke plants in Ukraine, do they?

6. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    They control the plant, they don't need to bomb it to redirect power, they can do that safely like with any other power plant.

It sounds like you're saying, the reason it looks like a botched Ukraine false-flag, must be that Russia did their own false-flag designed to look like a Ukraine false-flag. I don't think Russia is conducting risky military ops just to generate "ammo for pro-Russian social media," seems kind of like a sidewinder explanation to avoid the obvious.

Not sure I follow, are you referencing Chernobyl meltdown? I think this situation is very different, not really comparable.

In any case, Reuters now reporting that Russia will allow IAEA inspectors on site, so if that was Kiev's objective in all this, it seems that they've got their "win".

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Soldiers shouldn’t be ****ing stationed there. It should have no military personal near it. It’s really that simple.

MagnarTheGreat likes this.
  8. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    That's simply not practical. A nuclear power plant is a major asset to control when hold over territory is fluid. Stationing troops nearby is a strategic necessity. Having the troops in the control buildings and holding nuclear engineers hostage is a different matter though.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    Glitterstimm, Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    They did the same thing in Chernobyl. At least it wasn’t an active nuclear plant. But then again Russia was pretty ****ing dumb in that area as well.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  10. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Honestly, I'm starting to look at this like it's the first climate change war. The issue is that Putin is doing all this to steal Ukraine's resources, and he's a petro polluter. Wars over climate change may become more common, but I'm more concerned about what the U.S., Russia, and China would do. The U.S. and Russia own land in Global North. But China is in a bad place, and they start to go nuts sooner. I imagine they will eventually forget Taiwan and start looking northward.

But as for this Russia nonsense, Russia is, as you say, pretty ****ing dumb. I have a bad feeling that the tactics and the strategies are going to start making far less sense than even this soon (2024 or so). So, Russia may well turn to the Baltic states and attack them anyway despite them being in NATO, and then everyone's gonna get upset. Putin was never a rational actor in a way, but he's probably not going to get healthy any time soon. The fact is that he's not very smart. He doesn't know about climate change being this powerful, and he's a far-right nut job. I knew he was totalitarian as early as 2014 or so. But I didn't think he was this scrambled egg foolish until this war.

Eventually, one way or another, Russia is going to turn its eyes toward Scandinavia and the Baltic countries. So, maybe those countries need their own nuclear iron dome or something. I hate to say it, but I would strongly advise it.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  11. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The biggest tactical/strategic lessons of this war will probably end up being about fighting wars in territories where nuclear power plants are present. Decades of military contingency planning now with large appendices full of real world experience.

Human error, natural disasters and war vs civilian nuclear power - Many of us have now lived long enough to see catastrophic accidents and near misses on all three fronts.

And yet we cannot hope to achieve climate change emission goals while still providing modern energy to much of the world without nuclear.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    So some more stuff blew up in Crimea. The Russians really should stop smoking.

13. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    But the effects of nuclear on the environment should something go wrong could be just as bad or worse than the effects of carbon emissions.

In theory Nuclear power is the answer. In practice about once every ten years we see why it’s too dangerous. A worse case accident could leave large areas of the planet uninhabitable for multiple life times. I don’t think humans are capable of managing it.

New technology is needed. Either major advancements in existing clean energy or something not being used now.

Id say historically the former Soviet Union has looked like the weakest link with nuclear power. But as we saw in Japan, natural disasters mean every power planet regardless of upkeep and safety standards is a potential disaster.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  14. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    With currently available technology and with foreseeably available technology in the medium term, a rapid and immense expansion of nuclear power is the only way to meet emissions goals. It's the size of the human population and our insatiable energy needs that make every option an existential dilemma. But luckily we may be too busy fighting water wars to be able to really build as many nuclear power plants as we'll need.

Cynda and mnjedi like this.
  15. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
  16. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    In Rome, Italy, during the release of Piranha II: The Spawning (1982), director James Cameron fell ill and had a dream about a metallic torso holding kitchen knives dragging itself from an explosion. This eventually inspired I'm to write and film the first Terminator movie. So, he was inspired by a nightmare. I can understand that because I had a nightmare recently about Vladimir Putin being turned into a violent animal. For whatever reason, his generals have done some gene splicing on him, and Putin had been transformed into a hairy beast that walked on all fours, clawed the walls, and he bit himself and any animal that fell into his room through a hole in the roof. The generals would observe him through bulletproof glass windows.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  17. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Lol, Russia says a lot of things, some of which is actually true.

Let's not count IAEA inspectors before they are actually at the site, 'kay?

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if it was either a disgruntled Ukrainian living in Russia, a false flag, or any of it. Really. Him switching cars if it’s true makes me think it was a false flag. Honestly he seems to be a person who would gladly let his children die to save his own skin.

19. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    Always interesting to see what inspires Magnar's passion for Twitter "news-flashing" :-B

20. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    He already is this.

21. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    It was a strange dream. I guess it wasn't really a nightmare so much as it was a vivid odd dream. Most of my dreams are more pleasant than that, though. But I do know he is unstable in real life. This almost looked like he was being turned into a monster from a science fiction movie, though...albeit with more of the style of Underworld.

22. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    I used to have nightmares of Russian submarines invading the coastal areas in California. Disneyland was morphed together with Santa Barbara.

23. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    What's wrong with Santa Barbara? I liked visiting that city in June 2018. But, man, those are some scary dreams about the Russian submarines.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    So I have been thinking about the car bombing. It’s also very possible this was someone else entirely. Not related to Ukraine. I definitely don’t think it was the Ukrainian government. If Ukraine wanted to Kill someone in Russia you would think they would go after a real government official. Sure he has influence but it wouldn’t hurt the government for him to die. People like him have a lot of enemies both internally and abroad. It could have nothing to do with Ukraine or a false flag.

However again if we get confirmation that he knew not to go into his car then I think it was a false flag.

if it wasn’t a false flag I think his time on this earth is limited. If they got a bomb on his car they can probably get another somewhere else.

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Y'all ever seen The Russians Are Coming? The Russians Are Coming the Russians Are Coming (1966) - IMDb