main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Russia: its impact on the world, its invasion of Ukraine, and its future

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Sep 24, 2011.

1. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Bor Mullet and blackmyron like this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    That’s what happened with that missile that hit Moldova a few weeks back. It was intercepted by Ukraine and happened to crash in Moldova. I actually thought the same thing happened with Poland when I first heard the news.

3. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    That technology has been in use since at least the early 90s. It’s still so impossible to me. Such an incredible feat of human ingenuity.

4. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    The next evolution is laser defense. Reagan's administration wanted it, but they were too early. The technology is here now, although it has a ways to go before we can put them on satellites to create a global network against ICBMs. But they can be highly effective at dazzling and defeating cruise missiles and the kind of drones Russia is using to bomb Ukrainian cities. Lasers can interfere with the optical devices used by cruise missiles and drones to identify where they are and where they need to go, and if they're powerful enough, they just burn a hole right in the hardware and destroy it.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
  5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Assuming it "works," and that is not a safe assumption, ICBM defense systems are not a good idea. All it would do is encourage an arms race and, in the event of any launch, a large barrage to overwhelm its capabilities.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Well that’s never stopped anyone before. See humanity.

7. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    That's going to happen anyway. There's no restraint in nuclear war. And arms races have their benefits. Technology makes leaps and bounds with nation states locked in competition. It's not all guns and bombs. It's also robotics, AI, power sources, communications, transportation, medicine, yada yada. We never really exited the Cold Wars arms race by the way. Stealth Jets, UAVs, hypersonic missiles, China assembling the world's largest Navy... ring a bell?

Spoken like a true military-industrial shill, amiright? Doesn't make it any less true though. Its just the current state of things.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Humanity has never not leaped on the opportunity for an arms race. Or stopping technology before it could get way worse.

9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm not sure how this counters my point that an ICBM defense system is a waste of time and resources.

DarthPhilosopher, Lord Vivec and tom like this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh it doesn’t. It totally is. Because we’ll just either make more or better ICBMs. Doesn’t mean we won’t do it.

11. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    and I never proposed such a thing. So it's all moot.

12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I think we can all agree that anything called "Star Wars" is a risible waste 9f time

13. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Phew! That is indeed very close!

[​IMG]

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Wha...? The Nike Missile Program is easily on my Top 10 US Milestones list. The thought of ancient computer triggered missiles still sitting under 7-11 in Bayonne and a daycare in Louisville because the program ended with disabling and abandoning countless outdated ICBM launchers and selling the land off to developers is peak Murica.

15. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Hey, look, it's the colonel who was in charge of the failed mobilization effort was "shot dead" at a military school - an obvious suicide.with a gunshot to the temple... or five shots to the chest, depending upon who you ask, apparently.

Edit: And now, one of the top Russian state TV personalities has threatened seven different countries with airstrikes.

16. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    I'd much prefer it to be a waste of time and resources rather than an increase in chances someone will use a nuke again.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I know I'm not the best source for this but it's really a bad look that he was all gung ho "it's article 5 time" right after the missile hit. Western countries were right to say let's hold on a minute before jumping in.

Lordban, CT-867-5309 and mnjedi like this.
  18. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I think Vivec saying that is the seventh seal breaking

19. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The most significant problem with a missile defense system is that if it is perfected in one nation, said nation will be incentivized to rain nuclear hell on an adversary without fear of retaliation. Which then in turn would incentivize said adversary to barrage the nation hosting a missile defense system with so many missiles in order to overwhelm it.

MAD is a massively important deterrent, and missile defense undercuts it big time.

This all leads to the most obvious conclusion that nuclear weapons should be eliminated from the face of the earth.
    [​IMG]

blackmyron likes this.
  20. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    He also called for a no-fly zone a lot near the beginning of the conflict. Wants to destroy the world over his country getting invaded.

21. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I have my doubts that he sincerely wants a no-fly zone. He’s asking for a maximalist position to try and get the support he can from the West.

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Just providing Ukraine with better Anti air defense than the S-300 would be a good start. However with that said Ukraine has gotten good with shooting down missiles. I know they shot down a majority from that attack. Was it Yesterday or Monday.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It was whenever they accidentally hit Poland.

24. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Ah, so I did die yesterday evening :p

blackmyron likes this.
  25. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I think it’s more likely that many continental European states haven’t the faintest idea how multiculturalism is actually practiced rather than multiculturalism being a thing which is not workable. The Anglo-sphere does a lot of things wrong, but we actually know how to mostly do multiculturalism right.

The problem with European multiculturalism as practiced, especially in Eastern, Central and Southern Europe, is that two centuries of nationalism has meant you never really accepted that multiculturalism means means that other cultures have just as much right to live along side you in your state as your culture, and that the original culture must be removed from preferential treatment by the state and give way to a form of civic nationalism.

You want the traditional culture to have primary in the state. That’s fine. It’s what most Europeans probably want. But don’t say you tried multiculturalism.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.