main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Russo Brothers Interested in Making Star Wars Films

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by black_saber, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    "From AMC and the minds who brought you The Walking Turd, be sure to watch the new series dropping this Fall: The Pieces of Walking Turd."

Bor Mullet and PymParticles like this.
  2. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    If I came across that topic 3-4 years ago, I would be "ugh no, please no", since I find The Winter Soldier one of the worst MCU movies. However, I find Civil War the only Captain America movie I really enjoy (mostly because it has many more heroes I guess, he is still as dull as they come to me) and Infinity War blew me away. I never expected that from them, because instead of focusing on dumb action, that movie was so emotional in so many ways (and deeper than your average MCU movie).

So now, I would actually be very excited if that happened. I think they would do a terrific job. In fact, I think they would do a better job than anyone who has directed a Star Wars movie in the Disney era.

3. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    very good point you make there!

4. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Thanks for the compliment. ;)

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'd love to see them take on a Rogue One-like film. I think they'd excel at something a little more grounded like their two Cap films.

Leoluca Randisi and Bor Mullet like this.
  6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Speaking of that, I wonder if Edwards will be given one of the Cassian show episodes to direct..

TCF-1138 , IlhamKamaruddin and EHT like this.
  7. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I hope so. He hasn't done anything since Rogue One. I hate to say it but it kind of feels like that may have unfortunately hurt his career a bit.

TCF-1138 and Bor Mullet like this.
  8. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Meh. I'm sure it'll be fine and stuff

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    black_saber likes this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Which is just more evidence that we live in bizzaro world. Dude delivers what many consider to be one of the best Star Wars films, and cooperates with the people who hired him to make some tweaks to it, and it hurts his career...

10. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    He abandoned the Godzilla sequel project amicably, to focus on Rogue One and smaller projects. A minor setback in his career if you ask me, which was his decision anyway. Besides, it already had taken him 4 years between his first and second movie. I am sure his career is fine. We really have nothing to base this on. He has received praise for his work on Rogue One by most sources.

IlhamKamaruddin and Bor Mullet like this.
  11. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    At the time I was surprised he took up Rogue One. He had expressed how overwhelmed he had been by Godzilla. It was all too big for him.

I am quite curious what he is doing now, even if it's building a log cabin in the mountains or something.

If he's burnt out by the Blockbuster experience, I hope he makes little things some day. Little monster movies for Netflix.

Siphonophore likes this.
  12. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Edwards should make a little monster movie with Phil Tippett. An old-style Harryhausen type of adventure.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    GregMcP likes this.
  13. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Sometimes I wonder how many movies are there going to be by David benioff and DB wiess. Hopefully we will find out at the Star Wars celebrations in Chicago.

And hopefully it’s going to be the old republic.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Personally, I'd love the Russo's to take a crack at Superman. They did a fantastic job with Cap and then Avengers, I'd love them to repeat that with Superman and Justice League for WB. Probably a bit too "been there, done that" for them, but WB need someone who can give them a great Superman movie.

I could definitely see them doing one of B&W's Star Wars movies. If B&W are essentially the show runners (like Feige at Marvel), the Russos have shown they can deliver fantastic movies in that type of set up.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    They’re good at churning out decent franchise products, but that’s about it. Kennedy has higher standards than Feige.

16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
  17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    [​IMG]

Pro Scoundrel and Bor Mullet like this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Thou doth protestest too much. It seems like a pathetic desperate agenda rather than any salient discussion point.

20. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    The Russo Brothers making a Star Wars movie(s) is like Christopher Nolan & James Bond. It makes so much sense, it will never happen. :)

godisawesome and DarthFixxxer like this.
  21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    A Russo Star Wars would be great.....but what about a Clouseau Star Wars?

22. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I. Am. In!

Darth Smurf and godisawesome like this.
  23. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    I will make a (not very bold) prediction, and say that after May, the majority of Star Wars fans would be ecstatic with the prospect of the Russo brothers making a Star Wars film (or a trilogy even). There is a significant quantity of very positive signs about The Avengers: Endgame so far, and their resume so far (including directing some of the best Community episodes) shows that it's very possible they have exactly what it takes for such an endeavor.

With the sole exception of the Winter Soldier, everything else they have created I have really liked. I don't know what constitutes a higher standard than Feige. Can't get much better than that as a franchise runner.

24. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Please stop hurting me like this.

25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    In this case, the protest was just a joke at my own expense. :)

That said, I do generally like the movies the Russos have made for Marvel. Especially Infinity War. I just think that they're not up to the Star Wars standard, and so I'm wary of them helming a Star Wars film (I was wary of Howard, too, but was proven wrong, so who knows?). And I do believe Kennedy has a higher cinematic standard than Feige, which is fine. Marvel is a different, more artistically populist and almost anti-film beast. I find that to be a lot of fun to watch, especially on airplanes, but not the kind of thing I look for in Star Wars. I like Kennedy's approach so far, and don't think the Feige approach (and that of a lot of the directors he chooses) is best for Star Wars. Crazy, I know, coming from a Star Wars fan. But as with Howard, I'm open to being proven wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.