main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT RYL: Under Quarantine (Please read mod announcement on pg. 946)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Mar 17, 2020.

?

Ketel One Botanical. Real botanicals, fresh taste

This poll will close on May 6, 2030 at 1:41 PM.
  1. Decades - not years

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Available at retailers nationwide

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. Easy as that

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  4. Get fast free shipping

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  5. Plus our best price guarantee

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  6. No

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Within the known domains of life, there are two primary forms of like: eukaryotic and prokaryotic life forms. Prokaryotic cells are defined perhaps best by what they are not. Unlike cells as you might be familiar with, they lack a nucleus, which in eukaryotic cells, serves as the "brain" of each individual cell, issuing commands to each organelle. In addition, prokaryotic cells lack membrane-bound organelles as a whole. As such, one might naturally wonder how prokaryotes undergo mitosis. Well, they in fact do not!

First, let us establish exactly what we're comparing here. Eukaryotic cells comprise (or are) life forms such as plants, fungi, animals, or other miscellaneous life forms, sometimes called protists or protozoa, depending on which circles one follows. That means if you're reading this - congratulations on your cells containing nuclei! You'll soon have a greater understanding of the implications of this form of being. On the other hand, other forms of life known as bacteria (or eubacteria) and archaeabacteria, or more simply, archaea, are prokaryotes. Let's take a dive in and learn some more about this microscopic life forms.

Unlike our cells, prokaryotic cells undergo a process known as binary fission. The plasmid, a circular chromosome contained within the cell's cytoplasm, self-replicates, followed by both chromosomes essentially "pulling apart" until the cell is split into two brand new cells. In principle, mitosis is similar, but it is instead defined by the interphase growth of the cell taking in nutrients and duplicating its chromosomes. Following this, the nucleus (remember, the most important organelle of any eukaryotic cell) divides in a process known as cytokinesis, again creating two identical cells.

It is important to bear in mind, however, that cellular division is far from the only thing setting them apart. In some ways, prokaryotes are more primitive beings than eukaryotes. For example, while eukaryotic cells have multiple linear chromosomes, a prokaryote has a single circular one. Eukaryotes are diploid, meaning they contain two copies of each gene, while a prokaryote, being haploid, contains only one. Lastly, eukaroytic cells tend to contain more in general, including redundant or noncoding DNA, while all prokaryotic DNA is for the sole purpose of living and dividing. Additionally, most prokaryotes thrive in extreme environments, including very high or low temperature and/or pressure, while eukaryotic cells, despite (or rather, because of) containing more, are more fragile, buckling under what prokaryotes would easily live in.

Now, one key thing might be sticking out to those of you who recall my listings of various forms of life. Plants, animals, and fungi may be easy enough to distinguish - protists are simply eukaryotic life forms, including unicellular organisms such as amoebas, that don't fit into any of those three categories. But what is the difference between bacteria and archaea, you wonder? I'm happy you ask!

For one, bacteria and archaea are genetically distinct enough to be their own classifications of life, obviously. On a somewhat trivial note, archaea are closer to eukaryotes, though only on a rudimentary level in the form of metabolic paths and chemical reactions, as they are still clearly prokaryotes - in fact, for many years, archaea and bacteria were thought to be one and the same!

Getting back on topic, there are some somewhat relatively less notable differences: archaea contain three RNA polymerases (much like eukaryotes!) while bacteria have only one. Archaea cell membranes contain ether linkages, while bacteria contain ester linkages. This is a biology lesson, not a chemistry lesson, but in short, this is to do with the hydrocarbon bonds of the oxygen and carbon atoms comprising various molecules which themselves comprise the cells.

The most fundamental difference, however, is the presence (in bacteria) or lack of (in archaea) peptidoglycan in the cell walls. Peptidoglycan is a protective polymer coating the cell walls of bacteria which the more extremophiliac archaea do not require. Many of the aforementioned traits present in archaea but lacking in bacteria can be found in our eukaryotic cells, and as such, they can be seen as a middle ground of sorts.

That said, do not underestimate the significance of bacteria in our lives! Many bacteria may be harmful to us, and many are indeed the cause of several diseases which can be treated with antibiotics (which, notably, archaea are considerably more resistant to). But bacteria can also be helpful - or in fact, necessary, for the proper functioning of our much larger and more complex tissues and organs. You would not want a life without the bacteria lining your intestines. On the other hand, archaea are not known to form any sort of relationship with other living beings in this way, parasitic, commensalistic, or otherwise.

I believe the bell is about to ring, so class, please prepare for Friday's test. Content in today's lesson WILL be on the exam, so make sure to study up! Thank you for attending, and please enjoy the rest of your day.

[​IMG]

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    WELCOME, everyone, to the newest iteration of RYL, the PT social thread! Where we discuss things. And ****. Yeah

As per usual, let's begin things with posting the thread rules! I'll have to read them SOMEDAY, but please do follow them, people!

~ Attention: Newcomers are always welcome here! ~

All we ask is that they be interested in bucking the dominant trend of the internet by

1) enjoying the PT (or at least refraining from making snarky remarks about it or in any way putting out veiled insults about the tastes of those who do it enjoy it here;) )

2) being generally polite, friendly, and considerate of others' feelings;):)
    2a) This means no political arguments, because really, nothing good will come of it.
    2B No mini-modding, even if you're the popular kids. @cubman987, @Guidman and I, Seagoat, are the board mods - if you have an issue, contact us.
    2c) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or any language that would lead us to believe that you are a rotten human being. Because you aren't, right?
    2d) Obey the TOS with regard to cursing (and everything else, but for the purpose of this rule, cursing). Even in your bizarre gifs. Like the one of Qui-Gon pointing and saying "Sit the **** down." Don't post that one.

Alrighty! So with that out of the way, let's begin another thread! I guess I'd better get the next one ready when it has to go up in a few days, but I'll pull it out of my ass like usual. I'll put effort into it somedayl but
    DISCUSS DISCUSSIONS!

[​IMG]

3. Blue_Aether

Blue_Aether Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2019
    Ah another one :p

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  5. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
  6. Blue_Aether

Oct 1, 2019
  7. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    EJC's vsco girl impression is steadily increasing in accuracy

8. SeaGeek083

SeaGeek083 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 17, 2020
  9. s_heffley

s_heffley Chosen One star 7

Jun 7, 2015
  10. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    1- I still don’t understand the vsco girl phenomenon
    2- I’ve done this recurrent joke with the got since time immemorial

11. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Greetings and salutations.

MTFBWY, always.

12. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    It's better that way

13. IHeartKenobi89

IHeartKenobi89 Force Ghost star 5

Nov 17, 2019
  14. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    New thread, who dis?

15. SeaGeek083

SeaGeek083 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 17, 2020
    Does anyone ever truly understand the way of the VSCO?

16. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Why is there a new thread already?

17. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Who is in charge here?!

18. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Good arvo mate. :D

19. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    [​IMG]

I swear we just did this.

[​IMG]

20. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    These damn PT mods I tell you.

21. Blue_Aether

Oct 1, 2019
    Sksksksksks

You mortals must continue to suffer through that ignorance. :p

22. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    I forgot how tasty a nice tuna fish sandwich can be.

Kinda nice to eat at home more, tbh.

23. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    [​IMG]

24. s_heffley

s_heffley Chosen One star 7

Jun 7, 2015
    The RYL chess tournament has now crossed across multiple months as well as threads

25. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    New thread!

Re: Post #1
    TL;DR.

This is what my students often do to the announcements I send out. :( (Now I have the opportunity to do it for once. :D)
    (Except they don't tell me and I figure it out when they send me e-mails about the exact matters that I addressed in the announcement. [face_sigh] )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.