main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saber Length

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Janz_Walker, Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    For lightsaber props, what is the length of the saber blades from the emitter to the tip of the blade? Very urgent. I need to know soon. :) Thanks.

Chris

2. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Typically about 30 cm (about 3 ft) but it also depends on the height of the person wielding the blade. If they are short, you will want a somewhat shorter blade.

3. Janz_Walker

Sep 9, 2000
    Thanks! You're a live saver! :D

4. Jim-Dan-Xsee

Jim-Dan-Xsee Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2002
    What did someone have you at gunpoint?

Stormie: "Halt rebel scum. You will tell me the correct length for a Jedi Knight's lightsaber blade, or you'll be 'interrogated'"

Just playin'.

What were you planning on making your blade out of?

Jim-Dan Xsee

5. BrAd-Is-BaD

BrAd-Is-BaD Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2002
    PVC, that works the best.

6. Janz_Walker

Sep 9, 2000
    really? PVC works the best? My blades are 3/4 inch dowels. They'll work, but I'll need to have some replacement blades handy. heh heh. :) Do they make PVC that small in diameter?

Chris

7. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    I HAVE AN ACCRYLIC BLADE , BUT IM AFRAID TO SPARR WITH IT . IM GOING TO TRY METAL CONDUIT . IS PVC FLEXABLE ENOUGH NOT TO SHATTER ?

8. Jedi-Finney

Jedi-Finney Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    mine is 32 inches and its a wooden dowl. they only came in 40 inches though, so i had to cut it.

9. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    IS IT BRITTLE ?

10. Argarathoo

Argarathoo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2002
    I use pvc and it works great. It stands up to a broomstick and wont shatter. The smallest diameter that I found is 1/2" but with pvc they are going by the INSIDE diameter. The people at Lowes said to go to a store that specializes in air compressors, they should have that smaller pipes you are looking for.

11. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    I found the problem with PVC pipe is if you want to paint it to color. They work great but the Paint chips off very easy when banging them together.

12. BrAd-Is-BaD

BrAd-Is-BaD Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2002
    I find colored tape and tape it on. Thats the easiest.

13. Argarathoo

Argarathoo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2002
    For painting I used spray on engine enamel from the automotive department at Wal-Mart. A large can of it caost me about 4 bucks. I holds up really well and if you need to paint the PVC a different color you can just peel the paint right off.

14. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Coloured duct tape is also good. I have found it in red, green and blue shades.

Added bonus, if the blade does get damaged, coating it in duct tape will keep it from splintering as badly.

15. Janz_Walker

Sep 9, 2000
    Would wrapping a strip of white tape and black tape at the emitter, end, and middle of the saber blade during filming help rotoscopers out, do you think?

16. robo_obi

robo_obi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    I used meter long metal curtain rods, inserted them about 15cm into the hilt and away we go!! They are great for dueling, although they can get bent, but all you have to do then is bend it back.....hope that helps

17. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    You know that is such a simple and easy Idea I am embarrassed I never thought of that. Tape it.. :eek: Cool I am going to do that. Thanks guys!

18. Janz_Walker

Sep 9, 2000
    I think bright yellow tape also will help. That way you can pick out the blade against grey-ish backgrounds.

19. HocFutue

HocFutue Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2001
    I used 3/4 inch dowel, and had it run through the center of the grip (aka "full-tang") and let that decide how long the blade would be.

Then, I wrapped the blade at spaced intervals with bands of black and red electrical tapes. Makes it MUCH easier to track for rotoscoping.

Hoc

20. Evet_Frost

Evet_Frost Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2002
    Here is a secret little known to most...
    Fiberglass fishing pole rod blanks for salt water fishing.
    They are the correct diameter, taper nicely, and are super light. When it comes to sparing they will take plenty of abuse and won't tire your arm out with heavy dowels, PVC, or conduit.
    You can get "Scotchlite" from vinyl sign shops to cover the blade to give it the "classic" look like they did in ANH.
    length and width is variable according to some novels.

Evet

21. SpyBoy

SpyBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2002
    pvc would probably be ok and not too bad to replace but on my saber designs there can be no substitute for "polycarbonite"

22. jarik33

jarik33 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    Are the fishing rod blanks expensive? Of course probably anything is expensive compared to 3 bucks of pvc :D

23. Evet_Frost

Evet_Frost Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2002
    They can be expensive, yes.
    I've seen some go for $60 to $180 dollars. The hardest ones to find are the clear fiberglass rod blanks. Most all blanks nowadays are graphite black. Mainly cos kevlar is the prefered material. Find your local fishing supply store and they can hook you up with a deal, most of the time for $10 to $40. With the "clear" fiberglass rods you can spray paint them with the translucent "Testors" auto series paints. It looks pretty good. and if you are handy enough you can rig up a light that will shine up the rod. They are hollow by the way... Mine in the daylight almost glows, something about how the fiberglass strands refract the light.

I discovered the idea from shopping for a fishing pole. There were these poles called "Star Poles" that were a neon blue, red, and green. I though WOW! that looks like a lightsabre blade!! I bought one for $16 tore it apart and started to experiment with how durable it was.

Fishing poles are exteemly flexable and durable. Especially the kevlar rod blanks. For realing in a 70 to 100lbs Marlin. All the better to use as a sparing weapon.

24. Xerk

Xerk Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    I use PVC, but if you hit hard enough (which we do) it breaks... Durring the real film, after coreographing for month or so, we hit as had and as fast as our bodies allow us... Sometimes they break...

25. Obi-Sean_Kenobi

Obi-Sean_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2002
    im not to fond of pvc it always broke and splinterd all over the place and if it hit you it could cut you broom or mop handles work i prefer the metal hanldes. but thats just me. hope that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.