main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ON --Saberists unite!--

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Han_YoungJediNiagara, Sep 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Han_YoungJediNiagara

Han_YoungJediNiagara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2001
  2. BobaFett_YJN

BobaFett_YJN Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    uhhh, yeah Chris.....no pain.....

*gets new icepack for thigh*

Lets stick with the dOWel :_|

3. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Hey did you leave anything for me at Home Depot?

I popped in there tonight during a break in work. I picked up some dowels as well.

The main problem I see with the dowels is a safety issue. The reason why the plastic pipe is used as a core is that a wooden dowel, even wrapped in insulation can break and splinter. I'd suggest wrapping the dowel in duct tape so that if does break it shouldn't splinter.

What I'm going to try is using a thinner dowel inside the plastic pipe to make it less whippy, and it should be well protected that way from breakage.

I also have a thicker dowel I will experiment with.

One suggestion. Use some extra pipe insulation, place about an inch or so inside the tip (you'd probably have to shorten the dowel inside). It will provide a bit extra protection from accidental thrusts.

Of course the whole point of the boffer sabre is that any fighting with them is choreographed. The padding and tape is there to protect misdirected and missed blows. Hopefully we can get together soon and practice.

4. Han_YoungJediNiagara

Apr 28, 2001
    choreographed? HA! Don't back out of a challenge, vile fiend! This fight will be far from choreographed MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

5. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    What are you guys using to mount the dowel in your handle?

I'm thinking of using a wooden disc with a hole in the centre to accept the dowel.

Use several inside the handle to create a firm attach point.

6. Han_YoungJediNiagara

Apr 28, 2001
    yeah... um.. what you're doing....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.