main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Sabine

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by newdawn12, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Sure, they highlighted the graffiti thing, but the label on the introduction video actually *said* "weapons expert," not "graffiti artist." So don't worry about that so much.

2. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    When did Luke or Han almost join the Empire?.. And when was there a case of someone in the OT favoring it?..

We don't know how the general public sees the Empire in Rebels, but since the series takes place only a few years before the OT, where people seemed against it, that's probably more likely.. My point is the graffiti gimmick could get old fast, and it doesn't exactly seem like a useful talent for the crew.

Revanfan1: Actually I checked again: it says "explosive artist". So we're both right/wrong..

3. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Double post..

4. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I believe "The Academy" Luke is waiting to go to in the beginning of Ep. IV is the Imperial Academy. Also pretty sure Han has been ex-Imperial since the earliest EU. So in that sense both were close to joining the Empire.

5. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I get the impression that the Empire's popularity and control decreased as distance from Coruscant increased. There's nothing in the films to really indicate this, but EU Galaxy maps put a lot of Rebel planets in the Outer Rim, and a lot of the worlds that were contested in The Clone Wars are also in the Outer Rim. As are planets like Rodia, which considered joining the CIS due to feelings of neglect by the Republic, and we know that the Republic "didn't exist" on Tatooine. But even a world like Naboo, while firmly a Republic world, didn't seem like a huge priority for the Republic Senate.

Resistance from the CIS seemed prevalent in the Outer Rim, and it seems the same with the Rebellion.

I'd imagine that in the core worlds, Palpatine would have stronger support. The anti-Palpatine rioting on Coruscant in the ROTJ SE kind of goes against this a bit, but that was also after Palpatine blew up Alderaan.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Dark Lord Tarkus: Isn't it just referred to as "the Academy"? It doesn't make sense that Luke would want to join an Imperial Academy, since he himself said he hates the Empire.

Not really taking EU stuff about this either.. No offense.

7. SabineFett

SabineFett Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 17, 2014
    Yeah, thanks Tarkas, I was in the middle of writing up a post about that and my window accidentally shut out. And with Han part, the validness of the story isn't for sure anymore, since it's EU. But it's the only Han origin we got so.

And also, with the people of the empire, yeah lots were celebrating at the end of the OT, but don't forget, all those stormtroopers had to be crazy loyal to fight like that, even up to the end. And then still for years later planets and people and armies were loyal to the now defunct Empire. All this is EU, so who knows how valid it is anymore, but y'know.

8. Master Aizakku Rorensu

Master Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    Oh, I wasn't trying to start anything, just stating a fact. That's why I said...
    ...and so if anyone was trying to use a source other than the Clone Wars to support their view of who or what a Mandalorian was as a critique against the way Sabine is being depicted is in error because the Clone Wars Mandalorian is now the only official source.

In other words, we Sabine fans are right, and the naysayers (on this particular issue) are wrong. And of course one of the most fun things to do on the internet is to prove that you're right and the other person is wrong. :cool:

9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Fair enough.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Well I want to get her story because as of know she interests me the most story wise right next to Kanan.

Contessa likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Cute female design, she's a Mandelorian, and she blows stuff up. I'm okay with that. Do get slightly distinct "Poochie" feel from the graffiti aspect but let's see how it plays out.

12. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    Graffiti has been attached as a sort of counter culture in many countries.

13. Embomania

Embomania Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013

This would be a nice way to include the civil war that broke out in TCW and give that story that we never saw completed some sort of resolution.

14. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    She seems like an interesting character and being a graffiti-painting mandalorian teen makes her kinda unique; It'll also be interesting to see where they will take the character. I also noticed that they paint her up as some sort of perfect character that you almost would want to be (or be with) so I hope they manage to stay out of the Mary Sue trap and give her some flaws to make her more imperfect which also would make her a better character since a perfect character is boring and might very well turn out annoying/unlikeable.

Togruta and Swashbucklingjedi like this.
  15. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Nexumaster I agree wholeheartedly, vid makes her to sound like Mary Sue. Hopefully she is somehow imperfect, like extremely rash and Kanan needs to save her because of it- she looks like that sort of character that acts first and thinks second.

I see that there is clear possibility that Sabine will be love-interest of Ezra, but I cannot say yet. She is about the same age I think, opposite sex and same species (like that would be problem anyway?)- so it looks like clear possibility of romantic subplot. I personally don't mind though, but teen romance will probably get a lot of haters...

16. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I hope everything she does is, "totally radical," and, "to the XTREME!"

17. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Wait, wait, wait, wait...really? I'm sorry, but...really? We know all of, what, five things about her? And that's enough to determine she's going to be a Mary Sue? How does "female, Mandalorian, can fight, knows explosives, paints things" add up to Mary Sue? The video does not make her sound like a Mary Sue. At all. It can't. It barely told us anything at all. She literally―literally―has nothing but her gender in common with a Mary Sue. That's it. But being a genuinely competent female character does not make someone a Mary Sue.

[​IMG]

I had hoped, not that I would never have to hear the term "Mary Sue" again because it's completely contaminated, meaningless, and used with abandon now, but that I wouldn't have to hear it at least until the show actually aired. I suppose not. And goddamn, the absolute last thing our first significant onscreen woman of color protagonist―who is supposed to be a badass action girl―needs right out of the gate is to be saved by the male hero to assuage premature Mary Sue fears. No thank you on all of this early, skittish nonsense.

18. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    Not sure if it's just the paint she put on her armor, but does anyone else think the coloring of her helmet looks slightly similar to the Mandalorian armor when Maul took over? Perhaps she was one of those Mandalorians who followed him and were put down by the Republic?

19. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Mia Mesharad, there's no need to get so defensive.

I admit, maybe using the Mary Sue term is premature, but while my reaction to the character is mostly positive, I'm personally just a little cautious since they describe so much what's positive about her (how she's hip, cool, smart and such) and really nothing negative, topped with her voice actor proclaiming "I wish I was her" which feels a little like the "character living out authors fantasies" point depicted in the chart above (this was just my initial thought).

And to be fair, none of the earlier character featurettes said pretty much nothing about the flaws of the characters; I want to hear about their flaws too since I'm kinda wondering if one of them will turn out to be Sue-ish. I also want to make it perfectly clear that myself being a bit cautious has got nothing to do with the fact that she's female; she could be a guy instead and it wouldn't change a thing.

But overall, I think they will do a good job with her character and give her both positive and negative aspects to make her well-balanced.

Togruta likes this.
  20. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    If anyone thus far has me worried, it's Ezra. And it's pretty much entirely based on the trailer in which he's attacking a pilot over a helmet and seemingly gets away without issue. Maybe the scene doesn't play out as it initially appears, but the idea that some thieving kid is going to attack an adult soldier and get away with success and no consequences is a turn off to me.... over a helmet.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Agreed.

Ezra is the one I had the most reservations about anyway, and some of the comments in the Official Rebels Discussion thread have made me think, as well as return to some earlier fears I had about the show.

Three things will make me hate the show immediately:

1. Pet characters. Characters whose absence on a mission would cause terrible things to happen. Characters who defeat impossible odds with no explanation other than "it's that character, he or she is special." Characters who are shoehorned into plots with no logical explanation for why they are there.

2. Along those same lines--any retcons of OT character impressions in favor of show characters. TCW did this by trying to make the Jedi unlike able. I wouldn't want, for example, a scenario in which Ezra encounters Han, tells him how to fix the Falcon, is told "Back off kid" or "Get the hell off my ship"...and we are supposed to feel sorry for Ezra and think Han is mean, even though who could blame Han for not wanting a kid telling him what to do?

3. Incompetent Imperials. I'm fine with stormtroopers that can't aim, we got that in the OT. But, as much as I like the idea of characters having attitude...if Sabine walks up to the Inquisitor and says "Kark off sleemo" and spray-paints his twirly baton lightsaber, she should get her ass kicked.

So yes, Ezra attacking the pilot and coming out victorious is concerning to me.

22. Sir Chem

Sir Chem Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    I don't see why people think this, or maybe I'm just not picking up on something. I thought the Tie pilot was half-unconscious and had no way to defend himself in that state. I thought he was just shooting that slingshot to make sure the pilot stayed unconscious. I could be wrong, of course, since that teaser is too short to give us any important information.

I do feel like I'm the only one to give Ezra a chance, though. I know he's a kid hero, but they can be done well if handled correctly. If you need evidence, go watch ReBoot on Hulu. Enzo starts as an annoying side character, but they end up actually making him cool. It took a couple of seasons, but he ended up becoming my favorite character. (This won't be the case this time, probably, since there was a time-skip on ReBoot which is impossible here. They could still give Ezra a defining moment, though.

23. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    She looks a bit like Mako from SWTOR I think. Which IMO is not bad :).

Contessa likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Sir Chem: I hope he ends up being cool. Sabine as well.

(Watch Kanan and Zeb end up as overdone pets when they're the ones I'm most optimistic about. :p )

25. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Erm, I have mixed feelings on him.

Obviously, he is being casted as the Rebels equivalent of Luke (I'll make a bold statement we won't see Luke, either), but a little bit darker in the Force. Using the Force to steal and manipulate others is not actually aligned to the Light; this could be a future plot device, IF Vader is on the hunt for a young apprentice....