main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

Ahsoka Sabine

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Chris0013, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
  2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Wookiepedia still has it last seen in Sabine’s hand, and unless someone else has taken it, she would still most likely have it.

...And regardless, her history with the sabers could be used to construct a scene where she passes on Kanan’s lessons to her to Din.

Grey Matter likes this.
  3. Ghost Ryder

Jan 16, 2016
    That may have just made my night. That's a scene I really want now! At first I was just thinking it wouldn't make much narrative sense if someone took the saber from her, unless that was a way to put her on the Mandalorian map, and so like Din she'd have one simple aim and stumble into something else in the process.

But even regardless of that thought, this could essentially be why she has Ezra's saber and before being able to return it to him; it's that same parallel to Din! She just wants to return it to Ezra but also ends up using it to pass on what she's learned to another Mando. "My task is to return this saber to a Jedi." [face_laugh] I'm liking this rabbit hole.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    godisawesome likes this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh I thought she straight up didn’t have it anymore lol

5. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Trials of the Darksaber is also maybe my favorite single episode of Rebels, and if they could have Sabine show that kind of range of emotion again, particularly in light of the Purge, that’d be an immediate way to impress her upon the unknowing members of the audience.

But even without that emotion...

“That sword is old and heavy...”

6. Ghost Ryder

Jan 16, 2016
    True, and it is a standout episode. "The Empire wanted to destroy worlds, and they did; they destroyed mine." The way her voice breaks on the last part gets me every time. IIRC, the whole thing was animated around Tiya's performance, and I wonder how much that alone counts toward having her having the part for live action.

godisawesome likes this.
  7. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    That’s the tricky thing about the whole “Can the voice actor also do the live action role?” argument - sometimes, it doesn’t seem to quite work because of phenotype issues, or because the voice actor is better at doing the voice than at doing the emoting. But then you got guys like Sam Witwer, Clancy Brown, or Ron Perlman who totally can deliver a physical performance to accompany their vocal work. Tiya has the vocal performance, similarity to her character’s appearance, and is honestly closer to what Sabine’s age would be than Sackhoff is to Bo-Katan or Morrison is to Fett. And like them, she has a live action career.

I’d cast her![face_peace]

...But back to character stuff...

...Another funny set of comparisons/contrasts occurred to me about what Sabine could bring to the story in comparison to Din.

1. Sabine is undoubtedly one of the most informed Mandalorians in regards to the Empire, The Rebellion, the Jedi, and the Mandalorian Noble Houses. Bo matches her expertise in Mandalorian politics, but Sabine was placed in an elite Imperial academy and a high ranking member of a major Rebel cell early into the Galactic Civil War. Compared to Din “Woe unto those of inadequate home-schooling education” Djarin, she’s pretty much guaranteed to have a more firm handle on all the possibilities and perils of Din’s situation and the place of Mandalore in the Galaxy.

2.... Remember how Din doesn’t have any painting or decoration on his new armor at all beyond the mudhorn symbol? How in the world could that contrast with Sabine, I wonder?[face_tee_hee] If there were ever a character to comment on Dinks preference for a no-frills aesthetic for his highly priced armor, it’s our girl Sabine. Might be a commentary on that in and of itself; Sabine’s revolutionary and vibrant aesthetic has some ties to her rebelling against the Empire and forging her own identity from an early age almost out of necessity, while Din’s raw Beskar ties into only recently uncovering his own real identity.

...I NEED these characters to interact.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    Grey Matter likes this.
  8. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I imagine she keeps Ezra's lightsaber close...even if they do not got he romantic route with Sabezra then she does to so honor him.

And Kanan's lightsaber was given to Thrawn by Pryce as proof of Kanan's death....so where ever Ezra and Thrawn showed up I would think that Ezra is carrying Kanan's lightsaber.

9. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Plus she can actually wield the thing

10. Ghost Ryder

Jan 16, 2016
    I wonder if the Houses are still around, especially after the Great Purge. The Protectors weren't fond of House Vizsla, with which Clan Wren was aligned. Hopefully Paz Vizsla's still around because I want to see how all these things collide.

I can hear her sighing already. :) And on the other side, Din and at least some of the audience are taken aback at Sabine's armor. I can imagine Din's progression is like a trip through Mandalorian history. The signet is probably an ancient practice, and specifically for Din comes to represent his connection to Grogu. Then he meets Bo-Katan, who comes from a less zealous group and has some painted imagery on her armor. Then comes Sabine, younger and less rigid still, who takes the armor aesthetics to another level. So she inspires the next addition or alteration to Din's armor to reflect the next part of his growth.

Also, speaking of Bo, Alex Damon (Star Wars Explained) mentioned in a season 3 speculation vid that she may try to rally more support for herself. Maybe she'd go to Sabine, maybe thinking Sabine owes her?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  11. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    As much as I’d like to see Bo and Sabine already a bit at loggerheads, it would actually make some thematic sense to show them start initially friendly, then grow less so as time goes on.

I was initially going to post that Bo knowing how to contact Ahsoka implies she’s still in good with the Spectres, but it’s possible that her previous connection to Ahsoka makes their old alliance distinct from Sabine and Co.

Din doesn’t have a ride right now, and I could see him hitching along with Bo-Katan for a bit, Bo trying to recruit him more forcefully, going for Sabine as well... and maybe that triggers some doubts in Din’s head when Sabine offers some counterarguments.

I know I’m beating the drum on wanting Bo and Sabine to be rivals, but Sabine’s the only known Mando who would both want to return to the planet and has clearly positive and cooperative feelings with the New Republic. I feel like at some point, a Mando’s going to have to voice the opinion that allying with the Republic Rangers, Ahsoka, and other more traditionally democracy alligned forces, and that Sabine fits that role, while honestly Bo fits the more isolationist role.

12. Ghost Ryder

Jan 16, 2016
    Hey, it makes sense. It could be an interesting challenge for Sabine, since she seemed to admire Bo (and had to be apologetic about the Duchess).

godisawesome likes this.
  13. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I mean, it'd be interesting to know what exactly Sabine does between ROTJ and the Rebels epilogue. I read it as implied that she mostly dedicates her time to Lothal as an adopted home, but given that we now know there's a pretty brutal purge and things really don't go Bo's way, it's hard to think Sabine wouldn't be involved in the Mandalorian struggle in at least some way. Especially since her family surely must be.

14. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    There was a throwaway line in the comics that indicated Sabine also continued her participation in the Rebellion. Sabine was a skilled slicer, and some new character indicated that there was a skilled slicer on the Geist, which was Hera's Mon Cala Cruiser during the events of the GCW. Sabine is the one who sliced into the comm center in Season 1 on Lothal and Lucasfilm even made it a point in the Mandalorian that Mandos could be skilled slicers when Axes Wolves sliced into the Imperial Gozanti.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Eh it’s possible or it was just a nod to Hera

16. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Even just in logistical support and intel analysis, she’d be a useful asset to the Rebellion.

Of course, in pure speculation, I could see them integrating her greater Rebellion, Lothal, and Mandalorian responsibilities all under one blanket: have her outpost on Lothal end up as a haven for Rebellion-aligned Mandos to covertly hide out and recover from the Purge, or to act as a waypoint before they leave for their own responsibilities, possibly as Rebel assets.

One thing I don’t think has been necessarily addressed yet is the possibility of larger numbers of armor-less Mandalorian refugees after the Purge. The Empire seeking out the Beskar wearing soldiers and clans, while decimating Mandalore itself, might have pushed some Mandos to forsake the ancestral armor for the sake of their survival, which would leave them stripped of their very identity to The Watch and maybe even other less stingy Mandalorian factions... but still culturally Mandalorian to Sabine, and likely ripe recruiting grounds for the Rebellion/Republic.

*If* you used that idea... you could make Sabine responsible for the survival of several hundred or thousands of her countrymen, but also at the cost of some of their autonomy and independence, but still helping the larger Rebellion movement and perhaps supplying her backup in holding Lothal.

This is *all* unsubstantiated speculation and brainstorming, but it would make Sabine very busy during the OT timeframe, and still leave her with the possibility of her own faction of Mando’s almost purpose-built to aggravate and be rejected by The Watch while also being a faction Bo-Katarn might think she has to peel away from the New Republic.

17. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have decided that if it were up to me, I would have ALREADY cast Olivia Munn as Sabine Wren, to portray her in the Ahsoka live action limited series.

I don't think I could ever find a more suitable actress to play Sabine Wren. She's got the whole package for Sabine. Quirky and passionate personality, appearance that matches perfectly with Sabine, is totally in the right age to play Sabine in her early 30s in that timeframe (I was shocked to see Olivia Munn is 40 years old, she looks 10 years younger to me), and is talented to pull it off perfectly. I know it's a longshot, but I wish this happens.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  18. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    I mean, I think that all works. Literally all we have is "the vibe" of that epilogue. She ends the "proper" series on Lothal as part of the Ghost crew who at that point are almost a total splinter group that's barely part of the Alliance, and feeling a strong debt to Ezra that she doesn't fully understand... and later, she's on Lothal and very much seeming to be at home there, noting that the Empire never tried to retake the planet.

In between we know that Hera goes back and becomes very involved at a command level with the Alliance, and other than that vague maybe-reference noted above there's little suggestion that Sabine is with her in any sense. (I do remember Zeb showing up briefly in a comic with Hera.)

So yeah, it's all the "vibe" that she's tied to Lothal for various reasons, but the more we know about the Purge, the more it seems likely that she'd have to be involved in that somehow. Her family kind of barely lets her go from the conflict to begin with, so in a sense it was always the case that she had Mandalorian business to attend before settling down as seen in the epilogue.

Grey Matter and godisawesome like this.
  19. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    They’ve definitely got enough flexibility in the epilogue to go places with her story, just like they do with Ahsoka.

I’d be much more intrigued by having her revealed as having some kind of quiet, perhaps unofficial role of leadership in Rebellion-affiliated Mandalorians.

20. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    I'd like that too.

Not to lean too heavily into the "vibe" thing, but she's been through some awfully "spiritual" stuff which brings an interesting thing into focus which she could blend into Mando culture, making her a bit of the "spiritual heir" to Tarre Viszla. Consider:

1. She's probably a literal descendant.
    2. She's more associated with Jedi than just about any living Mandalorian.
    3. She's wielded Tarre's darksaber (and got genuinely good with it).
    4. She's just seen a lot of freaky-deaky Force stuff.
    5. Even her art style has been influence by Jedi murals and concepts.

Just thinking that gives her a bit of a unique perspective that also happens to call back to her heritage.

21. Ghost Ryder

Jan 16, 2016
    Either I didn't realize or forgot that she used the same spreading lines from the temple mural. It's curious, though, that she depicted herself in the coloring from the first part of season 4, before the return to Lothal.

22. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    Probably because its a mural of the crew all together, and they got split up and Kanan died during the return to Lothal.

23. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    If she shows up in live action, I really want them to embrace her art style on screen.

Favreau’s glee at setting up the graffiti in the first scene of Season 2 bodes well if she shows up on his shows.

Heck, that’s probably be how I’d foreshadow and introduce her - art first.

24. Ghost Ryder

Jan 16, 2016
    I thought that graffiti was a possible hint at her presence, which turned out incorrect. But I still have the theory of one prominent female Mando introduced per season. :)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    godisawesome likes this.
  25. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I had some thought at that, but I didn’t see Sabine’s styles or motifs in it, and I didn’t see them casting Sash Banks in the role, so Bo was my favorite heading into it as a possibility.

Can you picture a Mandalorian episode ending/starting with a pan to show Sabine’s personal variation on the Rebel Phoenix? That’s probably her most distinctive motif/calling card.

Grey Matter and Rtwofan like this.