main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

Ahsoka Sabine

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Chris0013, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Rtwofan

Rtwofan Jedi Knight

Jan 31, 2015
    Or a wildly painted Tie fighter flying in the distance.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Her experiences with the metaphysical aspects of the Force might have some interesting impact on Din’s religious beliefs; she clearly holds to the Code that Mandos follow in Clan Wren, but she also been an unofficial secular student of the Jedi religion in some ways. That gives her a more expansive POV of morality in the Galaxy at large and how the Mandos fit into it.

Sabine’s such a colorful and well-traveled character that the sheer contrast between her and Din’s life experiences and knowledge feels like it would write itself.
    Wildly painted *anything* for a ship, really. And since her actual position and rank circa the Mandalorian is unknown, there’s plenty of flexibility in what she could be flying.

Maybe she just has a classic Rebel starfighter - an X-Wing, A-Wing, or B-Wing - she’s colored up. Maybe she flies Clan Wren’s own Gauntlet Fighter, or even captains a larger ship like a corvette (Corellion or Mandalorian) that her own subordinates (Rebel or Mandlaorian) Captain, with the Gauntlet and corvette both being possible contrasts and matches to Bo’s little flotilla, if they’re rivals.

Either way, it feels like her art should foreshadow her appearance.

Heck, you could even have her more refined later art show up in the trailer for Season 3 before she herself does... Imagine Din walking up to her Lothal mural with some admiration apparent in his body language....

Rtwofan and Grey Matter like this.
  3. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    I didn't get the impression from the Rebel's epilogue that Sabine commands anything or wants to be in charge in general. After all, she gave up the leadership of Mandalore (this really needs to be explained in Mando Season 3 why Bo took the darksaber from Sabine, but not from Din).

She probably has a small ship and travels the galaxy with Ahsoka looking for Ezra/Thrawn at this point.

Rtwofan likes this.
  4. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    [face_praying] Something like that would be awesome, though I don't know if Favreau and Filoni would give that away; I don't think there was any indication of Bo-Katan from the season 2 trailers.

As for otherwise showing her artwork first, I realized Rebels did basically that with Ahsoka (marking on crates) and Ketsu (graffiti). Of course, the latter wasn't familiar to the audience, though the character herself showed up very shortly thereafter.

In Sabine's case, maybe Cara knows at least some history of the Rebellion symbol. Maybe if Din is present for delivering Gideon to the NR, something catches his eye...or Cara's eye. Credit to Star Wars Explained since I couldn't find this on Wookieepedia, but Aftermath notes a display of painted stormtrooper helmets on Chandrila, and someone who's about to name the artist gets cut off. Maybe Cara fills that in.

godisawesome likes this.
  5. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Sabine's also supposed to be a noted propagandist for the Rebellion according to that Rebellion book, I think, and considering Hera's elevated rank and Sabine's responsibility and skills,. I feel like she kind of should had some kind of rank, even if she doesn't really have "forces."

6. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Ezra was a Lieutenant Commander with Phoenix Squadron so I'd imagine Sabine held a similar rank if not higher. But in Season 3 Ezra did get to lead Sabine and Zeb in the mission to Reclam Station, so who knows if she even has a commission. Her art does seem to influence Rebel iconography, but that doesn't exactly reflect her military responsibilities with the Alliance.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah... but Sabine is a ridiculously overqualified solo operative, and implicitly Lothal’s main guardian during the OT. I don’t want her at command level, and I actually don’t want her to have a cruiser or corvette (at first), but I do want there to be a feeling that of the Rebellion’s veterans, she’s clearly in the top half in terms of authority.

Ideally, I’d have her revealed to have helped administrate intelligence services around Lothal with a few small scale raids with a small cadre, probably having helped Mandalorian refugees after their Purge, and now be a decommissioned officer as part of her search for Ezra (which again is the most interesting question in regards to what she’s up to now - whether or not Ahsoka has already contacted her and their chasing down leads when Din encounters Ahsoka during The Jedi.)

I Kim did want her to have a reputation, but still be someone who doesn’t want to be a leader - with the caveat that others should treat her as such at times.

8. Ghost Ryder

Jan 16, 2016
    Combining this with her watching over Lothal, maybe that extends over the whole sector, so including Garel and Oon. I actually had no awareness of the latter until a few minutes ago, but it has an interesting bit of story. Sabine learned of, and broke up, a slave-trading operation there, and in the midst of Rebels season 1; she also left a graffiti calling card so the others would know her whereabouts.

So: 1, that's precedent for her having some in-between engagement(s), going back to the epilogue question; and 2, a calling card would be an example of heralding her appearance. In fact, since I know about it now, I really want to see that in The Mandalorian; it seems like the kind of world-building/character detail that would fit right in. [face_idea]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    godisawesome likes this.
  9. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Her personal Rebel firebird symbol could very well be used as a symbol for a pro-Republic Mandalorian faction overall...

Grey Matter and CISMestizo like this.
  10. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I love this thread for bringing forward all the great possibilities of the character. From her introduction I was really into the idea of an "artist" in Star Wars and it played out really well (and I was thrilled at the natural synergy with Thrawn as a villain in the show and glad they rolled with that). As Mando culture gets richer, she gets even more potentially intersting.

godisawesome and Grey Matter like this.
  11. Ghost Ryder

Jan 16, 2016
    Don't know how it didn't occur to me before, but I really want Sabine to have a tête-à-tête with him, and it's still a possibility. :D

godisawesome likes this.
  12. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Heck, she doesn’t even have to have an actual meeting with him to play into it.

They could have her do anything from something as small as making jokes about art critics regarding Thrawn, or even go a little bit more serious and philosophical of Thrawn is one of those art “hoarders” who keeps it all entirely to himself, in contrast to her very graffiti inspired public art.

Or if, like her brother and Ezra before him, Din ends up with some painted armor plate from Sabine, it could be how Thrawn identifies they’ve already met.

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    From KRT, so grain of salt, but definitely possible.

14. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    Am I the only one who thinks it would be a real bummer if the whole search for Ezra plot doesn't get picked up until 5 years after the end of the GCW? So if this is true they didn't start looking for him for 8 freaking years after he disappeared, or at the very least, they've been unsuccessful for 8 years. Unless the whole running concurrent with the Mandalorian thing is no longer true.
    I'm hoping these rumors turn out to be false and the Ahsoka series is its own thing. If they're going to have an Ahsoka series it should be focused on Ahsoka. A Rebels Sequel can shift the focus between multiple characters such as Sabine, Ahsoka, Ezra and Thrawn.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  15. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    My preferred direction is to have them "Soft retcon" (since it wasn't even firmly established to begin with) the Rebels epilogue to within a year of Jakku so that Ahsoka's encounter with Din in the Jedi is post-epilogue; I can easily take them being unable to get ahold of Thrawn or Ezra during that time thanks to Thrawn navigating his way around the Unknown Regions and maintaining secrecy, and you could have Sabine and Ahsoka chasing down different leads at different times, and only uniting occasionally in the show.

Sabine's worked as a deuteragonist before, she could do so again.

...I'd still like her to make her initial return in The Mandalorian, though, possibly chasing down another lead form Ahsoka's in The Jedi.

16. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Just introducing Sabine into the live-action media so she can cross to other series is too good an opportunity to miss. Who can play her, Mercedes Vanardo was great in TM, so could another female professional wrestler step up?

17. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    I don't think a lot of awesome stuff has come out of "let's cast (specifically female characters for some reason) with people who have more fighting than acting experience" for Star Wars. Ming Na comes off as more convincing and poised than Gina or Sasha Banks just based on acting chops, and is much better at smaller moments because, well, she's just kind of awesome. Sabine would require a lot of nuance. Besides, her fighting style is pretty well established and it's not very, erm, wrestling-y.

It'd be disappointing if they don't cast an Asian actress, too. The rumors that Sasha Banks was going to be Sabine didn't sit well with me for that reason, but, all good.

18. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Let the casting commence.

how old would Sabine be during the Mandalorian?

19. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    She's probably 20 around the time of the events of the Rebels finale. Ezra is born on Empire day, presumably 19Y BBY, the same age of Luke. For the timeline to make any sense, the events of Rogue One would immediately follow the events of Rebels S4. Otherwise, the Empire would glass Lothal in retaliation. Instead, the focus of the Empire is brought to Yavin and the Alliance following the theft of the Death Star Plans.
    Using this logic, Sabine would be 28-30 during the timeframe of the Mandalorian.

20 (ANH) + 3(GCW) + 5(post GCW)

20. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    30 years old, give or take. The Wookie has her birth date as 21 BBY, so that’s +4 for ROTJ then +5 for TM.

Tia Sircar does have live action experience and the physical profile to go along with her having voice acted the character but isn’t as “known” for playing a similar live-action action character the way Sackhoff was, so whether we’re closer to a Bo-Katan or Ahsoka situation in regards to the voice actress.

21. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    Sircar's of a pretty realistic age (moreso than Sackhoff, honestly, not that I'm complaining about that casting). She's of Indian descent whereas Sabine is pretty clearly eastern Asian -- although mentioning that always seems to get me in trouble for whatever reason, and I'd be fine with Sircar being cast. But that's a solid point about the action experience. As with Ahsoka we'd need that, but *also* some real chops, because the character has a lot going on. In fact, like Ahsoka, Sabine has a lot more to be haunted by after her experiences in Rebels, so even more depth of performance is probably called for... that just by way of saying, again, don't just cast someone who can fight!

godisawesome likes this.
  22. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    That’d be one reason why I think Sircar would make much more sense than a wrestler - we know that, vocally at least, she can deliver a haunted, heart-broken Sabine.

Honestly, to some extent, it might come down to whether or not Filoni saw her performance in the recording booth physically match her vocal work for Trials of the Darksaber. If she was... then I’d cast her in a heartbeat.

23. Ghost Ryder

Jan 16, 2016
    I went from confusion to a small flare of excitement in wondering what happened to the thread. :D I just hope the KRT claim doesn't mean Sabine will be in the Ahsoka series before Mando. At this point, I'm actually more interested in what she could bring to the latter than to the former. And with Grogu having exited (for now) and Din at a crossroads, this seems like the opportune time. And I just want to see her sooner. :p

24. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    The way I see it, both Sabine and Ahsoka are developed enough to not really "need" each other, and could make solo appearances in different shows, but would maybe work well as a kind of buddy cop pairing if sharing the screen.

Having said that... I like the idea of them having splitting up to chase down leads when we meet Sabine, and perhaps even treat them working in tandem across space as their usual state of affairs before physically reuniting when they finally start hitting a gold mine of info... at which point you could make Sabine act in a more support role by having her connections to the Mandos end up supplying the bulk of their logistical and manpower when they have to start engaging with greater forces.

...At which point it might be interesting to see if Sabine can still call in a favor with Bo-Katan, Fenn Rau, or a now actualized and independent Din Djarin.

For instance: imagine a hypothetical scenario where, after having Fenn Rau exposit who she is and why he likes her in a previous epsiode, Sabine makes her live action debut in The Mandalorian, perhaps having Din do his usual "favor in return for info/material" scheme, gaining the final key needed to tie her and Ahsoka's investigations together and launch that show, but she also gets a "Trials of the Darksaber" spiritual sequel with Din, where she helps him start to realize what he wants to do instead of follow Bo-Katan, and then after the Ahsoka show has had a major moment where they need backup... Din end sup being the cavalry, either with the Protectors or his own group in tow.

25. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Professional wrestlers are performers, they're actors in and out of the ring. They might have a sports or combat sports background, but they have to develop giving a performance playing a character. That is why so many professional wrestlers have gone on to be highly respected actors and some big stars.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Brian Glover, who wrestled as Leon Arras, went on to be a well known actfor that starred in Alien 3, Kes and many well known British films and TV.
    Since then we've had the likes of the late Roddy Piper, Dwayne Johnson and John Cena star in Hollywood films. Back to Sabine, I fully expect an Asian, Maori or Samoan ethnic actress and they're not in short supply in the world of professional wrestling.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021