main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 Safety and security checks

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by j-jawa3, Sep 18, 2018.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Here in the UK there tends to be a bit of hysteria about paedophilia and child abuse. Given that and the amount of CCTV I'd really hate to put myself in that situation (and I'm female. My male partner says he wouldn't even approach a lone child - he'd get police or security involved.) I mean, if the kid is injured and I approach it could be construed to be my fault. I have enough issues to deal with in my life without adding that possibility.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Unfortunately, in the time we're in, about the most help you can give to someone is to call the proper authorities from a safe distance and let them know what is going on and where.

Intervening can open you up to a multitude of things. You risk being attacked yourself, up to and including death. You risk responding officers not knowing who the perpetrator is and assuming that all parties involved are equally guilty, and then following up on that. As has been stated, you risk being accused of something inappropriate.

In the US, Good Samaritan laws are often not a reasonable defense, and rendering aid to someone in a medical emergency can open you up to being heavily sued and lawsuits being filed against you. Even if you save that person from certain death, but injure them in the process, you can be completely thrown under the bus and have your life ruined, no matter how good your intentions might have been. And people are like that too, once the opportunity is there, they'll turn around and seize on it. It happens all the time. Don't trust anyone. Certified on duty responders aren't as liable because they are covered by what their job duties entail and the organizations they work for, so you have to let them intervene and not you.

Even if somebody comes up to you, whether in person, in your car, or in your home, and they are absolutely begging for assistance, you still have to take precautions and keep a distance. Time and time again this gets proven as a method for criminals to rob and assault someone once they've let their guard down to assist the person who was supposedly in need. So you tell them to back away, you back away yourself, and then contact authorities for them.

It totally sucks. And I hate to sound so cynical and stark. But people are too unpredictable and unstable nowadays. You have to look out for yourself. Think of your own families, don't put yourself at any more risk than you have to. I've had a fair amount of exposure and training in the lower ranks of law enforcement and emergency services, and this is just the reality. Obviously if it's your own friend or family member you are going to what you have to do. But outside of that, you have to look out for yourself, plain and simple.

star_wars_is_good likes this.
  3. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    Thanks, I was meaning, small things,like within the Cele. area. yes, everyone needs to watch their kids, sadly, even at a Cele.I never had heard of serious incidents occurring at one, except for the first Cele. at Anaheim. a theft a t a dealers booth(the dealer was "aghast" I became worried about him as he described the incident to police! and a poster tube stolen from a stroller while the parents and child were waiting in line(had anyone heard about these?)Then the last Cele. there was a shouting match at the Jedi Training venue, I heard some kind of loud ruckus going on! these don't usually occur(unless I'm wrong) example of what I would do if I saw, say, a theft occurring nearby, I would trip the thief with my foot or get in their way until police arrived! this simple crime sounds silly and only on TV, but it could occur anytime. Anaheim was crawling with security and police! probably due to the alcoholic beverage stands on the floor and the incidents that can occur with over consumption. It's very sad that extra security must be taken, even at a Cele. where almost everyone just wants to have fun without trouble and bad things have never occurred. Have any of you noticed ant increase in incidents lately?

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I didn't really notice anything at the last London one but then I wasn't watching for incidents. If I saw a lone little kid at a Celebration who looked lost I'd probably point him/her out to either security or venue staff.

5. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    That's a bad idea.

6. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Seconded.

7. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    On the same subject, I know if anything would happen, like theft, people ,I hope, would have their phone cameras ready to take pictures of the thief. since newby fans have been mentioned in other posts, and the very fast sale of 4 day and children's passes, it makes me wonder about intentions. am I paranoid?

8. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    You're a jawa.

9. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    that is true! Jawas can get into places others can't. he-he! there is a story behind the picking of the Jawa, it goes back 40 years to the beginning.What I was trying to say was that it's sad in this day and age that fans have to be so vigilant in order to have fun.(Jawas are vigilant) you shouldn't have to feel the tension in your tummy or throat at the sight of a crowd of noisey people , a ruckus around the corner, raised voices on the floor maybe in irritation.Cele.'s are relaxing(except when your trying to make a panel or get that exclusive) Let's hope Reed, the arena or whatever takes proper precautions(not the clear, tiny plastic bag routines!) so we can have a very fun, very long,expensive Cele.! Lets have that "fuzzy feeling"!

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  10. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Oh, it will definitely be that :p;)

11. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    May the Force be with us!

ChrisLyne likes this.