main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Safety pins, FaceBook profile pictures, and whatnot

Discussion in 'Community' started by poor yorick, Nov 13, 2016.

1. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    A friend of mine (you know who you are) :p posted the following article to FB, and thereby made many people angry:

Dear White People, Your Safety Pins Are Embarrassing

I agreed with the article wholeheartedly, although I agree that the tone is perhaps unnecessarily incendiary. I really have no patience for cheap, easy, public declarations of sentiment that sort of vaguely address problems without doing anything to fix them. And I hate Minions memes, too. Nyarrrr!

This is what I posted in the FB thread:

I feel similarly about changing FB profile pictures to reflect the tragedy de jour. I honestly don't see what those accomplish. If you have 75 FB friends, none of whom are French, and you are not a famous person in France whose page people will search for, what good does it do to change your profile picture to an image of the French flag when terrorists attack? I suppose there's some value in the idea that such things can just make you feel better, but honestly, when someone else's country has just been bombed, or when someone is fearfully waiting for ICE agents to knock at the door, you are not the one who needs to be made to feel better. It takes no money and very little time to sign petitions on the ACLU or Amnesty International websites. It may even take fewer clicks than you'd need to change your profile picture. So try the petitions instead.

The one area where I can see a symbolic public display having real merit is when someone wants to memorialize the dead. Wearing poppies, black armbands, or flags on Memorial Day keeps the dead fresh in our memories, which is all we can do for them.

If you want to help breathing people, then please, please, skip the FaceBookery and do something practical.

MarasFire, EHT, starfish and 7 others like this.
  2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What are you talking about? Safety pins? I feel utterly lost.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    It's like the safety dance, but even lamer.

4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I know right? I wish there was an article linked in the OP.

Oh, wait.

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  6. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    The article discusses whatever this phenomenon is as if everyone is thoroughly familiar with it. In fact, I've never so much as heard it discussed until just this moment, let alone seen someone actually doing it.

CT-867-5309 and Master_Rebado like this.
  7. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Safety pins? Is this some punk rock thing all over again?

Master_Rebado likes this.
  8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think your response there is the correct one - point out that it's not a substitute for action, but also suggest positive steps they can take. Some people like visual solidarity, whatever, they just need to be made aware it's not enough.

Particularly when, as this thread is demonstrating, the meaning is a bit obscure. :p

9. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002

It's a meme that's spreading through social media. The idea came from Brexit remainers in the UK. They started wearing safety pins as a way to let people of marginalized groups know that they were there to help them if necessary.

Only it's very hard to see a safety pin attached to someone's shirt. And totally random people can have all sorts of reasons to be wearing safety pins attached to their clothes, so it's not a reliable symbol. Like maybe their "Hello My Name Is" badge fell off or something.

10. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    IF someone had a dress shirt with a highly visible safety pin on it, my primary conclusion would be that they are an idiot.

11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    So... you elected to be Typical Wocky and not do any research before commenting?

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I stuck a safety pin into my eye last Tuesday evening. Does that count?

TrakNar and Master_Rebado like this.
  13. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    DG, you have found the perfect solution. Who can fail to notice a screaming guy with blood running from his eyesocket? Next time I see someone like that, I'll know for sure that I'm safe with them.

14. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Do you know, I was thinking yesterday, the common proverb doesn't really make sense. If an entire nation was really composed of blind people, the power structure would likely also be set up to favor blind people, or at least some privileged subset of them. A person with partially preserved eyesight would likely be ostracized or at least exoticized. While I can see the state making use of his or her talents, I really don't think it's plausible that he would be allowed to displace the local elites, or that cultural values would even have been formed in such a way that his abilities would allow him to.

heels1785 likes this.
  15. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Saramago's Essay on Blindness (also known as just Blindness in the USA because "essay" is a dirty word) is the book you are looking for.

Ender Sai likes this.
  16. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I think it's an incredibly lame gimmick designed to make people feel good about themselves even though they are doing less than the bare minimum. But then I also think that at least people's hearts are in the right place and that they want to help but aren't sure how to express it.

All I know is that if I was in real trouble from being racially harassed or assaulted, glancing around for people with safety pins on them would be the last thing on my mind.

MarasFire, Sarge, Vaderize03 and 7 others like this.
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I generally agree with the article, and just prefer blaming Wocky and Vivec for most things, but I am also hearing that Arab-American activists are sahying it's helping their communities with solidarity, etc. so I'm not sure necessarily it's the worst thing in the world?

I mean, yes, it is literally the smallest thing you can do short of nothing... and if that's your end goal (i.e. just wearing a safety pin), that's probably useless. But if it's just one part of your overall sense of doing useful things then it's probably okay.

Not sure if I'm making sense since my brain is still fried from jet-lag. Also I'm in India where there's no money (like, literally at the moment), so this is what I expect it to be like in the US when Trump replaces all of the currency with his face.

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Isn't this thread Ouroboros?

19. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Diogenes would think the safety pin and changing FB profile to a shade of a flag to show "solidarity" a joke worth doing to mock the cause.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    We should wear giant novelty safety pins.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Also, white women who take safety pins, wrap thread around it, and sell them for $4 should be flogged.

JoinTheSchwarz and ophelia like this.
  22. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I get the sentiment. It sucks that people are afraid and I see the appeal of some kind of message to say 'hey, no need to be afraid of me' but - yeah - I don't think it's doing anyone any good.

Except this guy who looks pretty snazzy.

[​IMG]

23. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Fortunately, I have everyone in the real world, on ignore.

24. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Shouldn't this go in "the stupidest thing in your Facebook" thread?

25. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I also posted this in the "Race Relations" thread. I think it's the most insightful, non-judgmental, and -most importantly, practical- article I've come across since this has started becoming a thing:

So You Want To Wear A Safety Pin...

tl;dr version: Sure, you mean well, and that's great. But you need to really think through what ACTIONS you're potentially inviting by wearing a fashion accessory, and plan accordingly. If you're not ready, willing, and/or able to take those actions, that's totally fine; that doesn't mean you're an awful person, but you probably aught not wear the pin if you can't back up what you're saying.