main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sage Advice to New Users From the Old Seasoned Users

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Dark_Lady_Jada, Jun 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    Our Father, who art in Modship aka Jedi_Daniel has approved this thread. Of course, he reserves the right to edit anything I say and do. ;)

I was thinking about some of the things I've learned over the years here. I lurked from 1999 until 2003 when I registered as jada_marnew. I posted in the 3SA and was immediately flamed. I didn't post again for months.

So, now that I am more seasoned, I'd like ask other seasoned users of tf.n to give new users a piece of wisdom from your time here at tf.n. Here is my "sage" advice:

Read more, post in established threads and on topic, except for your thread in the WNU, don't post a new thread for 30 days.

If you "hang around" and get to know the lay of the land, you will find you will be called a n00b less often and be a better poster all around.

Also, I'd like to quote this from the Crimson Jedi:

Darth_Deception posted on 12/28/04/05 5:57pm
    Pash isn't here. Otherwise I would ask her if this is ok.

Ok guys, creating threads.

I know when I was new, the scariest thing about the JC boards was creating a thread. I thought it was gonna get closed or mocked or something. So I resolved to wait until I had a great idea.

Hey, don't be scared. It's ok. If your thread gets locked, it's no big deal. Nobody is gonna brand you anything other than a newbie, which most of you are. Your name isn't gonna get written down and your hopes of becoming a mod won't be dashed.

However, your thread should not be getting locked if you follow these rules:

#1- Research!
    -Use the search engine*! It isn't there for looks! Type up the subject you want to post a thread about. Make sure you try a couple of different searches. If there are no related subjects, you're good!
    -PM a mod! They are here to help you! Ask them if they know of any topics along the lines of the one you are interested in. If they give you the green light, you're good! You can pm a mod questions about anything! Take advantage!

#2- Content!
    -Make sure your thread has a subject! Do not post a thread called General Mayhem and yell and scream in the intro.
    -Make sure the subject is not an advertisement. DON'T SPAM! That is a big no no!
    -Make sure it is a subject you think others will be intersted in! Don't post a thread about how you have a black computer!

#3- No Spamming!
    -If your thread is not getting attention, let it die! Don't bump it to the top! What I mean is, if you are the last person to post in it, don't post right after your post in order to revive your thread!

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/Welcome_New_Users/b10181/17882375/?87]http://boards.theforce.net/Welcome_New_Users/b10181/17882375/?87[/link]
    [hr][/blockquote]

* this is the search engine

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/search_boards.asp]http://boards.theforce.net/search_boards.asp[/link]

Oldbies, please! Share your advice and [b]Daniel[/b], if you see something that needs clarification, etc. you have my explicit permission to edit.

2. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Sage Advice from the local snake loving crazy British Sithly Metalhead Guitarist/Vocalist:

Don't be intimidated. These forums are huge, and take ages to fully explore. But if you're intimidated and get scared by the vastness, and your posts echo this, you're much more likely to be called a n00b or a FNG (I won't translate that last one). Which in turn will make you feel worse.

So take time before you post, even. Get adopted, red through the Map of the Boards, memorise as much of it as possible, and then post in the forums that you feel most comfortable with posting in.

And the WNU will always be the kindest forum, with loads of oldbies offering advice. Don't forget this, as we can help you out when you need a hand or something.

3. Kavic_Toth

Kavic_Toth Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 9, 2002
    Since Jada pointed it out to me...

Well, much like Jada, I started posting immediately in the 3SA... and was subsequently flamed. And like her, I stopped posting, and lurked for a few months after that. Unfortunately, I had not found my way into WNU at that time, and missed the opportunities you all have here.

My simple advice: be yourself. Don't try and fit into any cliques. If you find something that you're interested in, join in the discussion. You WILL eventually be acknowledged in it. Groups are fine, and if there is one that suits your interest, join. Just don't make a big deal out of trying to immediately 'fit in' to every group there is. People will like you. But in a forum as massive as this, like in RL, it takes some time to find the ones that have like interests and become friends.

As for posting threads, the advice of using the search feature is extremely sound. Nothing like posting a thread, only to have the first 30 posts telling you that there is already one. But that happens to the best of us every once in a while. ;)

Take your time, enjoy the boards, and use this place! The WNU has a lot to offer, so that once you're comfortable and ready, the rest of the place isn't so big and bad, after all.

4. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    Another really good piece of posting etiquette that I acquired from Kimball_Kinnison is to write your posts in a Word document and use the spell and grammar check before posting. This also will keep the Grammar Police from writing you a Grammar Ticket. :( ;)

5. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I never thought of typing my long posts into Word before, sounds like a good idea to me.

my advice: when being called a n00b, don't take it personally. Most who post this are going based off your signup date under your screen name.

Very good advice Strife. I don't get upset by it, because that what happens when you're new to stuff. Once people get to know you, they'll stop.

6. CorellianScoundrel

CorellianScoundrel Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2005
    You guys are as wise and noble as Yoda and Obi-Wan.

*Don't forget most flamers just want to push around. Don't let them. Don't even give them a chance. A gentleman or lady will walk, but never run.

7. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    my advice: when being called a n00b, don't take it personally. Most who post this are going based off your signup date under your screen name.

Also, keep all political/religious debates to the Senate Forum, its safer, TRUST ME.

8. Kavic_Toth

Aug 9, 2002
    CorellianScoundrel posted on 6/10/05 5:29pm
    *Don't forget most flamers just want to push around. Don't let them. Don't even give them a chance. A gentleman or lady will walk, but never run.
    [hr][/blockquote]

Don't forget that, not only do the wise ignore the needs of the unintelligent to degrade everything to their level, but they also use the lovely list of Mods across the top of each forum for such things.

If you're flamed, ignore it. Send a PM to one of the Mods (you can check their online availability), and allow them to handle it. It's the difference between the flamer being warned or banned, and [i]you[/i] being warned or banned.

Take that advice from someone who can proudly say he has never been banned from these boards.

9. REVANLORD

REVANLORD Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    Please, take Jada's advice. My last 4 threads were locked within 5 minutes each! I have been on for 1 week officially as of now and have had 40 percent of my threads locked by a Mod, and 20 percent by me!(Danged Flamers!) Anyway, listen to anything Jada, Cobra, and Kavic say. They know what they are doing. See ya!

10. Prudence

Prudence Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2005
    These are valuable words. Thanks!

11. Grand_Admiral_Grant

Grand_Admiral_Grant Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 30, 2004
    Another thing is that, especially in the fanficion-section, people really appreciate your opinion and feedback. The people in the fanfic-sections write their stories and deserve the praise.

Also, in addition to that, dont be afraid to post your own work over there. Find a good beta-reader (someone who will honestly say their opinion) and try your luck. Im sure it'll be appreciated.

But most importantly, like Kavic already said: be yourself and be respectfull towards all others. If you do that 99% of the members here will be respectfull to you as well. As for the remaining 1%:ignore them or report them to the mods.

12. dashleebo

dashleebo Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 18, 2003
    Here's one piece of advice that I would like to mention:

Always read the first post in threads. In most cases they are very informative, and it helps to know what is said. I know that this may seem like common sense, but during my time here I have seen people say things in threads which clearly show they obviously didn't read the first post.

Here is an example:

Icons thread in Comms; I often see people come in who ask about certain things which are clearly explained in the first post. Logically those things would be brought up in the first post for such a thread.

13. REVANLORD

REVANLORD Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    The best thing to do is to get adopted by an oldbie. It really works wonders!

14. Mercury_Skywalker

Mercury_Skywalker Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2005
    I will try my best to get adopted by an oldbie :). That is good advice everyone has given and I will take it to heart.

MTFBWY,

Mercury Skywalker

15. Kavic_Toth

Aug 9, 2002
    dashleebo posted on 6/11/05 7:47am
    [b]Always[/b] read the first post in threads. In most cases they are very informative, and it helps to know what is said. I know that this may seem like common sense, but during my time here I have seen people say things in threads which clearly show they obviously didn't read the first post.
    [hr][/blockquote]

Yes, definitely sage advice, [b]dashleebo[/b]. [i]Especially[/i] in threads like the Icons thread (where the size limits and submissions are detailed), and just about ANY group thread (where the first post contains their requirements.

16. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    I heartily agree with GrandAdmiralStrife's advice about the Senate and keeping certain topics to the Senate.

Also, when you go into the Senate forum DO NOT do any of the following:

• READ as much of the thread as possible - there are some threads that are very long. At least read back a few pages to see what has been said. Don't just read a title and go into there and post without reading.
    • Write a well thoughtout response
    • Spell check!
    • If English isn't your first language, perhaps think about having someone else read the post first to see if any of the words aren't quite translating correctly ;)
    • Everybody has the RIGHT to their own opinion whether you agree with it or not
    • Don't every post in "netspeak" or l33t in the Senate - it is the fastest way to annoy people who are in there on a regular basis and annoy a mod. Above all else, DO NOT ANNOY A MODERATOR!

When in doubt, ask a question. :)

17. Kavic_Toth

Aug 9, 2002
    Dark_Lady_Jada posted on 6/11/05 1:53pm
    [b][u]DO NOT ANNOY A MODERATOR![/u][/b]
    [hr][/blockquote]

[face_confused]

So you're saying I shouldn't have made the sock for no other purpose than to pick on [b]Mace_Windy[/b]?!

[face_tongue]

18. Darien_SabreHawkke

Darien_SabreHawkke Jedi Youngling star 3

May 29, 2005
    [face_laugh]
    Can't wait till I have been around long enough to pull that off at least once and not get banned [face_whistling]

19. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    Also, read the sticky threads at the top of the page in each forum you visit. It will give you an idea of what you can and can't do. Especially in the Collectables forum. :)

20. Grand_Admiral_Grant

Grand_Admiral_Grant Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 30, 2004
    And like Cobra said: get adopted.

ALso find a social thread or group you feel comfortable with and start posting there. This way you'll gain experience and get to know some people which will make it easier for you.

21. Cinnamon_Windu

Cinnamon_Windu Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 10, 2005
    You need to put a space before a smiley to make it show properly.

Learned that the hard way. :eek:

22. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Also, when you go into the Senate forum DO NOT do any of the following:

• READ as much of the thread as possible - there are some threads that are very long. At least read back a few pages to see what has been said. Don't just read a title and go into there and post without reading.

• Write a well thoughtout response

• Spell check!

[face_laugh]

So, Jada, what you're saying is: Don't read any other the thread, don't Write a good responce, and don't spell check? [face_shocked]

I thought we were meant to be giving good advice!

:p

And Grant, did I say get adopted?

Hmm, can't remember that...

23. Darien_SabreHawkke

Darien_SabreHawkke Jedi Youngling star 3

May 29, 2005
    little oopsy there =-)

also, for the sake of your own time and sanity, if you look at the title of a thread and it looks bad, just don't =-)

24. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    Opps, well . . . I am old you know! :p

25. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    This is kind of an add on to what Grant said.

Join different Social groups like the ones in the Your Jedi Council Community or Expanded Universe Community and post in there to get to know some people so that you have some place to go all the time. It may also help to get you use to the way the boards work, like all the functions, and stuff.

Also, before you Post, hit preview to see if you did all your mark-ups right. It sometimes gets annoying when you read "b[]Hello/" or something. You gotta be like me...perfect!

:p

darth_nemisis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.