main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vancouver Samurai! Classic Films - Mar 25 to Apr 17

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by poof-the-magic-jedi, Feb 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poof-the-magic-jedi

poof-the-magic-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2005
    Pacific Cinematheque will be showing several classic samurai films for three weeks starting March 25. Included in these will be two films which George Lucas has noted for being influences for his Star Wars films: Seven Samurai and The Hidden Fortress. Would anyone be interested in getting together to see one (or more) of these two shows or any of the other classic samurai movies being shown?

Seven Samurai
    Showing: March 25 (Sat), 26 (Sun), 27 (Mon), 29 (Wed) all at 7:30pm
    Price: $10.50 ($9 for students)

The Hidden Fortress
    Showing: March 31 (Fri) at 6:45pm and April 1 (Sat) at 9:20pm
    Price: $8.50 ($7 for students)

Pacific Cinematheque
    1131 Howe Street (at Helmcken) map
    Full samurai schedule: page 1 page 2

Note that purchase of an annual membership is required ($3), and unfortunately membership is only available to people 18 years old and over. See ticket info for details.

2. Jedi_Ulic_Qel-Droma

Jedi_Ulic_Qel-Droma Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 9, 2002
    I have the Seven Samurai on DvD.. its a most excellent show.. One of the best movies about the Samurai. I would also recommend First Samurai: The Musashi Trilogy. About the greatest Swordsman Musashi Miyamoto. I love anything by Akira Korusawa. You can also check out Taboo, and Zatoichi.

Ive seen Hidden Fortress as well, but am still looking for a DvD :D

These are all Classics that greatly depicts Japan's culture and history.

I always end up watching these kinds of show with my Iaido club.

And if you want to try swinging a sword and practicing techniques with a bokken, join us every Saturday morning 9-12noon at the UBC Rec Centre. There is a drop in fee, but if you let me know beforehand that you are coming on a specific Saturday, Ill accompany you in so that its free (and you can borry my extra bokken if you need one). All you need are lose clothes if you dont have a Hakama and Gi.

Vancouver Iaido Club

3. poof-the-magic-jedi

poof-the-magic-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2005
    Hi Antonio, so did you mean to say that you are interested or not interested?

If you don't want to watch the ones you've already seen there are several other movies to be shown including a few others by Kurosawa:

Throne of Blood
    Showing: March 30 (Thur) at 9:30pm, April 1 (Sat) at 7:15pm, and April 3 (Mon) at 9:35pm

Yojimbo
    Showing: April 6 (Thur) at 7:30pm, April 7 (Fri) at 9:30pm, and April 8 (Sat) at 7:30pm

Sanjuro
    Showing: April 8 (Sat) at 9:35pm, April 9 (Sun) at 7:30pm, and April 14 (Fri) at 5:30pm

4. TheDave

TheDave Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 26, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.