main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Asia Satr Wars in Asia

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by Gasgano_of_Earth, Apr 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gasgano_of_Earth

Gasgano_of_Earth Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2001
    Is Star Wars popular in Asia, just out of curiosity, because this board seems pretty empty.

2. peregrine

peregrine Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    I live in the Asian part of Istanbul, and I can say that there are very few real SW fans around here.

3. Kirana

Kirana Jedi Master star 2

Nov 13, 1999
    I live in Hong Kong, and while Star Wars is quite popular, it's nowhere near the cult status it holds in Europe and the States.

4. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    I share the Kirana's view in Taiwan. I lived there for half of my life, including the days when the Special Editions came out. Not really that much interest at all in comparison to what happened in the US.

5. The Butler

The Butler Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 1999
    I live in Taiwan, and yeah, the interest's fairly general. In our community, there's a few really devoted fans, but we're the type who are naturally attracted to western sci-fi movies and the spinoffs naturally.

6. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    My parents are from malaysia, they went to visit a couple of years ago and they said there was quite a bit of hype about Episode 1 release, but other than that its pretty quiet.

BTW, hi from sunny New Zealand!

7. Twinnie

Twinnie Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 5, 2001
    (just wanted to say that, despite what Kirani said, there's no SW cult in Europe ; if you're a SW fan, you just don't say it *pouts* )

8. HumsupFett

HumsupFett Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2000
    I don't see much fans around here in Singapore but strangely, when the new figs was out, they seems to disappear fairly quickly...strange?

9. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    triple post

10. Ben_Skywalker

May 20, 2001
    double post

11. Ben_Skywalker

May 20, 2001
    I'm from Guam and we have several starwars fans here but i dont think they know about theforce.net i kinda lost touch with those guys..they dont go to my school anymore and i dont know where they went :(

12. Ben_Skywalker

May 20, 2001
    damit its not raising the thread to the top..

13. Ben_Skywalker

May 20, 2001
  14. Musasa

Musasa Jedi Youngling

Oct 9, 1999
    Butler - I'm also in Taiwan (originally from America). There are a few really hard core fans and collectors here (all the fans I know are Taiwanese). Some folks seriously know their SW, though there's very little info in Chinese.

I focus on vintage collecting, which is extremely rare here. Needless to say, I get EVERYTHING from overseas. I've been toy hunting in Singapore, Hong Kong, and Japan, and the prices for vinty are ridiculous.

Anyway, I e-mailed you. Hope you got it, and that you'll contact me. I'd love to meet another local collector. :)

15. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    There are a large number of SW collectors in Singapore (thus the fast disappearing new SW toys) but General SW fans not as much. Anyhow, most of them keep a low profile on the internet world and will only appear during the release of SW movies. [face_plain]

Malaysia, not so sure but I got a friend who loves SW, expecially Han Solo (and Harrison Ford's other characters) and a brother-in-law who collected SW vintage stuffs. Both in KL/Selangor.

16. roguegirl

roguegirl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2001
    I am from Pasig City in the Philippines.Star Wars is very popular here.

17. ShinagamiWing

ShinagamiWing Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 21, 2001
    I visit my cousins in Japan regularly. They read EU and play the games.

18. StompboXX

StompboXX Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 13, 2002
    ei roguegirl, am from the philippines too. makati, 2 b exact. I for one know that Star Wars has a large follwong here...but I dont know if there are any official Fan Clubs here. Maybe we can start one! What do you think?

19. the_hothian

the_hothian Jedi Youngling

Jan 24, 2002
    I'm from the Philippines too, and there are a lot of hardcore Star Wars fans here in Manila. People came out in droves and were willing to stay up for the 12midnight opening of Ep1. I know of a few people who seriously collect SW figures (I just dabble).

20. Lil_Lisa

Lil_Lisa Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    This place is way too emtpy! [face_plain]

Still, I decided to drop by 'cause I'm Taiwanese. I'm in Taiwan right now, actually. I moved to New Zealand (Hi to Chans! :D) about 5 years ago and I'm just here for the holidays. Found sooooo many Ep I toys in a toy shop. More than what we have in NZ, actually. That was a bit weird.

In 2 weeks I'll be back to sunny New Zealand! :cool:

21. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    Yeah, This place too empty [face_plain]

Hi, Lil_Lisa :D

Anyone from Hong Kong?

22. Jade Skyhiker

Jade Skyhiker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    roguegirl - Hi!!!
    It's Jade the whacko-who-is-terrible-at-tagalog from the Pinoy's Post Here thread at the OS site.

I (used to) hang out mostly at the Games Forum, but nowadays, I've been busy and haven't been posting much. I still have to reply at teh OS boards too...

Stompo and the_hothian - kamusta!

I just saw jed-eye post at the JCC too. Guess I have another place to practise tagalog :D

JM22 - You from Hong Kong? Ni How ma! (i hope that was right)

23. Lil_Lisa

Lil_Lisa Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Happy Chinese New Year! Yep, it's tommorow--today I'm going to me ganpa's with my family. :D

Hi JediMaster22! :)

Jade Skyhiker: I think the Cantonese of "Ni How ma" is more like, "Lei ho ma". Correct me if I'm wrong because my Cantonese s-u-c-k-s! LOL And by that I mean I could only understand a few words. 8-}

24. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    Happy Chinese New Year!!!

Jade, not really!

25. SITHLORD71

SITHLORD71 Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2002
    I am in South Korea. Nearly impossible to find serious fans, other than foreigners here.No books,unless you are seriously into H.P.
    Got to Japan , last week. Star Wars galore and more there.
    ...if only we could get the comics here.....the censorship on that sort is very strong...sadly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.