main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Save the Best for Last (Kyp/Jaina MMM & Love Song Roulette Challenge)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Lady_Tahiri, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lady_Tahiri

Lady_Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2001
    Title: Save the Best for Last
    Author: Lady_Tahiri
    Timeframe: So wildly AU it doesn?t even matter anymore. Let?s call it post-NJO.
    Characters: Kyp/Jaina
    Genre: pure, unadulterated, irredeemable FLUFF
    A/N: That?s right, this was written for both the Love Song Roulette Challenge and Monday Mush Madness, because I?m awesome like that. The song is by Vanessa Williams (of I-relinquished-my-Miss-America-crown-when-nude-pictures-of-me-surfaced-in-Penthouse fame).
    Disclaimer: Star Wars belongs to George Lucas, the song belongs to whichever record company it belongs to, my laptop belongs to me.

Sometimes the snow comes down in June
    Sometimes the sun goes ?round the moon
    Just when I thought our chance had passed
    You go and save the best for last.

She?s left her hairbrush in the shower again. Kyp plucks the fine dark strands out of the drain, knowing that if he does not, sooner or later the water will clog in the bottom of the basin and Jaina will bemoan the fact that at twenty-three her hair is falling out at an alarming rate, and he will show her the dye he uses to hide his silver streaks, and they will both laugh. Her laugh will come out as a deep-throated chortle. He has heard her soft tinkling laughter and truth be told, he much prefers the undignified way she snorts ? like there is a foreign object lodged in her nose ? when it?s just the two of them in the apartment.

He doesn?t mean to linger in her room. He?s expecting her back from the Imperial Embassy any minute now. But as he stands there clutching her hairbrush with one hand and the doorjamb with the other, surveying the obstacle course which lies before him, he realizes that he?s never going to make it to the dresser without stepping on or possibly breaking something. So he picks his way between piles of discarded clothing and lidless storage bins and empty fizz cans and finds a spot in the middle of the floor where he can sink to his knees to wait for her.

It occurs to Kyp that he has been waiting for Jaina Solo for a long time.

She has never been one to impose any semblance of order on her personal space, even back at the Academy, where it was quite as dangerous to walk into her quarters uninvited as to accidentally release a member of Jacen?s menagerie. Kyp has heard about the sorts of projects the twins got up to, and he marvels that at no point did they manage to blow up the Great Temple and everyone in it.

At sixteen she was apprenticed to Kyp and promptly moved in with him. The two of them were so often away on missions, racing from one crisis to the next, that it would have been impractical for her to move back in with the Solos during the brief spells they returned to Coruscant. Her parents understood. Kyp and Jaina are accustomed to packing up and leaving on short notice. What he is not accustomed to ? what he has never had any occasion to grow accustomed to ? is watching Jaina make the move alone.

He wishes that she would let him help. He wishes he could lift boxes, carry armfuls of hangers, sift through the paraphernalia of her teenage years. She tells him she would be embarrassed to make him sort through her accumulated junk, and moreover he can?t even tell the difference between an inkpot and an empty makeup pot. This last point he will readily concede. But what she does not realize is that between the two of them there is nothing left to be embarrassed about. He has seen her in diapers and she has seen him in bacta. They have seen each other at their absolute worst ? ragged, unkempt, irate, petty, callous, vulgar. He has seen her by the first light of dawn as she bends over him, violently shaking him awake to query him about the disposition of their only caf dispenser. He remembers how her hair fell in an artless tangle over one shoulder and she wore one of his old shirts (it came almost to her knees). He remembers thinking that he would probably never again see anything so beautifu

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    LT!!!! Great response to both challenges and ... I do love this song LOL

Perfect fit for Jaina no matter who she ends up with [face_laugh]

3. CelseteAntola

CelseteAntola TF.N Books Staff star 3 VIP

May 18, 2002
    *gasps in utter happiness*

LT that was wonderful!!! I cannot describe how much I enjoyed this! It was so tender and poignant, and you really captured the essences of both Kyp and Jaina. =D=

Fabulous job!

*re-reads again and melts*

~Celeste

4. Jedi_Sword

Jedi_Sword Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2005
    I loved it!! a perfect end to a long day... what a lovely picture you painted for those two - oh, and i adored Kyp sitting on Jaina's scaly "pillow," so funny..
    aaaand now that song is in my head! 8-}

5. Kailene

Kailene Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2009
    Awesome job combining MMM with the Love Song Roulette.

Sweetness![face_love]

6. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Kyp plucks the fine dark strands out of the drain, knowing that if he does not, sooner or later the water will clog in the bottom of the basin and Jaina will bemoan the fact that at twenty-three her hair is falling out at an alarming rate, and he will show her the dye he uses to hide his silver streaks, and they will both laugh. [face_laugh] Hair falling out is more dire than gray. :p

=D=

7. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Lady_Tahiri: this is great fun! :D

Firstly, I like the effective incongruity of combining the two challenges...

... and then there's the actual story itself! :D

You begin by suggesting a familiarity between them, casually giving them a shared space for getting naked (the shower)...

... but then you spin away by introducing the discordant note of "the Imperial Embassy"...

... and then, suppressing Kyp's desire with the seemingly-unrealistic idea of him still "waiting for Jaina Solo", you develop that, with only the reference to "the powder keg of her love life" hinting that there might be anything more than Masterly protectiveness in this new narrative...

... and then Jaina shows up, and we get some very relaxed banter...

... in the course of which you throw a curve by suggesting that he's more flatmate than Master...

... and then, in between twisty lines that don't mean what they say...

... we finally get them to where they should be...

:D :D =D= [face_dancing]

I'm delighted by the sudden effervescence of great K/J on these boards!! :D :D

- The Imperial Ewok

8. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Lady_Tahiri,

I'll admit, I wasn't sure what to expect when I first started reading. By the time I was done, I'll admit, you had me wanting to know more.

I know at the end it seemed, to me, that Jaina had chosen Kyp, but is Fel completely out of the picture? I wonder.

Will there be more posts? Not sure how these relationship story lines work, being new to the boards.

Great writing, congrats.

9. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Despite the fact you killed my Zekk (anyone who knows me, I know that comes as no surprise it stuck out for me lol!).... I loved this.

It was so poignant and fabulous - focusing on what really mattered and the strength of the characters. Wonderfully written; and I do so love the song. Great combination!

10. Lady_Tahiri

Lady_Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2001
    Jade_Eyes
    Thank you! I thought it was a very Jaina-centric song too.

Celeste_Antola
    Thank you! I am so glad that you enjoyed the story as much as you did, it makes me super happy that the story worked for you.

Jedi_Sword
    Yes, this was definitely a feel-god fic. Made me feel better about my crappy week just writing it! Agreed, the tune is too catchy for its own good.

Kailene
    Thanks!

FelsGoddess
    Hair falling out is more dire than gray.
    It surely is. :p

Thrawn McEwok
    First of all, thank you for such a thoughtful reply!

casually giving them a shared space for getting naked
    Or maybe that's just you with your dirty mind, my friend? o_O :p

discordant note of "the Imperial Embassy"
    That?s the plan.

seemingly-unrealistic idea of him still "waiting for Jaina Solo"
    What?s so unrealistic about it?

hinting that there might be anything more than Masterly protectiveness
    Course there is, we all know that the entire EU is really about Jaina Solo?s love life.

throw a curve by suggesting that he's more flatmate than Master
    Gotta make sure she?s all grown up before there?s any hanky panky going on. :D

finally get them to where they should be
    Never a truer word was spoken.

I'm delighted by the sudden effervescence of great K/J on these boards!!
    Glad to contribute!

Liam_Vehn
    By the time I was done, I'll admit, you had me wanting to know more.
    Yay, I?m glad you found it interesting enough to keep going.

that Jaina had chosen Kyp, but is Fel completely out of the picture? I wonder.
    Jaina?s not very good at this whole relationship thing. That?s why, in canon, it took her FIFTEEN YEARS to get engaged to Jag. I figure that?s just her personality, she?ll always sabotage her own love life if she can, so this new thing with Kyp is going to take a lot of work.

Will there be more posts?
    No, this was a one-shot, but I?m so happy that you enjoyed it. :D

Great writing, congrats.
    Thank ye kindly!

Jade_Max
    Despite the fact you killed my Zekk
    Awwww sorry, if it helps, Jaina was real broken up about it when it happened!

I loved this.
    Thank you! [face_blush]

It was so poignant and fabulous - focusing on what really mattered and the strength of the characters. Wonderfully written; and I do so love the song. Great combination!
    Again, awww, I really appreciate your praise. I?m lucky I got this song because it worked so well with what I wanted to write.

11. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    It was inspired by the 'fic, so you should take all the credit... :D

Maybe... but are you saying you didn't mean us to think at the start that K/J were regularly sharing a shower? o_O [face_thinking]

I guessed - it worked! :D

In context, the fact she's marrying Jag... I didn't mean it's unrealistic that Kyp would act like that, just that he's ignoring the reality of the situation... :p

[face_shhh] :p

Oh, absolutely. They didn't even share a scene until she was sixteen... then took two years to ramp up to obvious flirting/UST... although now I'm struggling to think of a scene they've shared that HASN'T had that... :D

QFT. :D

Glad you did!! [face_dancing] :D

- The Imperial Ewok

12. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ?Kyp,? she says, and the way she is looking at him right now, he is afraid his heart is going to burst. ?I?m sorry I made you wait so long.?

He presses a kiss to her forehead. ?It?s all right. You've saved the best for last.?

Awwwwwww! Loved this.

Good story, LT. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.