main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Saving Return of the Jedi just with editing.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by starwarsfan54, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Hmm. No chat left about editing and ROTJ?

2. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    I'm very well aware of that, that's why I think that the Star Destroyer design in Rogue One - combining elements from both models - was the perfect hybrid and retroactively somehow explains that what we saw in ESB was a Dauntless-class vessel.

On the Rogue One model the main bridge forward windows were flat which is perfectly compatible with the main bridge forward windows we saw in the "first catch of the day" scene. ;)

[​IMG]

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Rogue One ships have two-barreled guns, the TESB ship has 8 barrelled guns - why exactly would it be better as a "Rogue One type "Dauntless" Star Destroyer"?

The Rogue One Star Destroyer has windows on either side of the three forward windows:

Simpler just to assume that they are standing in one of the side alcoves, in front of video screens that are displaying the forward view (perhaps that particular station has some importance- controlling one of the tractor beam banks?).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
  5. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    It works fine. It increases the tension because it juxtaposes the frantic pace of the heroes' desperate escape with a completely unperturbed Vader methodically pursuing his course of action, one hundred percent sure of his prospects for success. It also enhances the power of Vader's shock when the heroes do end up getting away after all.

Whether or not it's your preference, it's a very common dramatic device and a perfectly justifiable editorial choice. There's an argument for the other way as well, but that's just what it is: an argument. This is one of those cases where I'm sure that if this is the way it was originally and it was truncated, people would be crying bloody murder in the opposite direction.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    oierem and darkspine10 like this.
  6. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    So instead of standing in front of the bow windows (with their panoramic field of vision!), the captain would prefer to look at the forward scenery on holographic monitors in the alcove (usually showing what's happening left or right)?

Here is the visualization from the Star Destroyer Bridge thread: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...riginal-trilogy.50044307/page-3#post-54183759

I'm still happy that ESB provided us with a nice variation, erroneously assumed to be some kind of continuity error but ultimately authenticated by the 'flat' forward windows of the Rogue One Dauntless-class. :)

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    since this is:

I've put my comment about the bridge of a Rogue One Star Destroyer, in that.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    I'll jump in if it's not too late.

Restore the sandstorm scene and the scene with everyone saying goodbye to Lando - I remember seeing it in the original run and thinking that scene with Han and Lando was really choppy. The sandstorm scene shows the renewed bonds of Luke, Han and Leia and gives a nice Luke and Han moment, which I was really craving after how they were apart in ESB.

I'm fine with the new ending song or the old song but I don't like how the new ending cuts the progression of Luke hugging Leia then Han at the end into two parts - it's really well staged and a completely callback to their hugs at the end of ANH. That shouldn't be cut up.

I hadn't seen Jedi in ages when I saw it again getting back into the fandom after TFA and I was surprised at how well it held up, especially compared to modern blockbuster pacing. It lets you breathe with the movie and you can follow the battles (I'm also glad they fixed that blast from the Death Star II - those lines didn't match up originally!)

Martoto77 and Tosche_Station like this.
  9. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Of course it holds up, its one of the best action adventure movies of all time (that just happens to follow 2 even better films - hence the naysayers for this film). Jedi set the template for the modern day blockbuster too IMO.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    PendragonM and Tosche_Station like this.
  10. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Too bad most of the modern ones don't understand "make the battle follow a rhythm and show how they progress" and "make characters that people want to see" - those lessons tend to get lost.

Sarge and Tosche_Station like this.