main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Scars and Beginnings (Announcement 23 February)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Indra, Jan 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    WoW- that was great.

As for the seagulls- they do say mine mine. But that didn;t seem to fit here.

2. Jedi_Nifet

Jedi_Nifet Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2002
    So, Calan's been having some mental debates as to the rightfulness of his methods. For a moment you made me feel sorry for him. But I suppose he won't have much of those after the confrontation with Xanatos. And poor Xani did a really stupid thing.

Love the story, Indra. You managed to build so many interesting characters and their relationships upon a pretty common base. Great job! Keep it up.

3. jeday

jeday Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 4, 2004
    Upies! :)

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Wow. Good job on all the viewpoints. I feel the saddest for Obi-Wan, tormented mentally and physically for being himself. Then Xan. Someone needs to save him before the darkness takes hold forever and he is hunted by the Jedi as a turned one. Qui-Gon is also in need of help and understanding. Of course, I hope that horrible Master of Obi's gets his in the end. A long fall off a building perhaps! But then who would take Obi-Wan since Qui still has Xan???

Good job with this! Keep going.

5. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    jeday Save Xanatos? Maybe I will, maybe not. [face_devil]

Kynstar Thanks! [face_blush]

Shaindl Glad you do! :) And thanks again.

Opal You'll find out in this one. Thanks. :)

PadawanKitara Oh, okay. Haven't seen the movie in English, yet. :D

Jedi_Nifet Thank you! Glad you felt sorry for him for a moment. That's what I was aiming for. :)

dianethx Thanks! A long fall of a building? Not a bad idea. But I don't think it will be the ultimate solution to the Calan-problem. :D

Chapter 7

Darkness surrounded him. Darkness filled him. Xanatos pushed at it, but it didn?t give. He tried to perceive something beyond it, but the only thing he could hear was the distant roar of a storm. Where was he? Why was there a storm? He again pushed at the darkness and finally it seemed to yield. He felt the power within him recede. Strange, he hadn?t felt the power before, but he shook himself from its grasp and emerged into the real world. The storm wasn?t distant. He could hear it only a few meters away, but the building he sat in protected him. Then the events came rushing back to him - the mission to the lower levels, the two clans, Obi-Wan missing and being found again and finally Calan?s admission. He again felt the darkness push its way into him but he reached out to the Force and found light. He wouldn?t be pulled under again, anger would lead to nothing now.

Xanatos moved to stand up and felt a sharp pain in his midsection. He looked down and saw his tunic hanging in burnt shards from his chest. Beneath it the flesh was scorched but he saw immediately that it wasn?t a very serious wound. He would deal with that later. Seeing that the storm was still going strong, he decided that he would deal with the matter of finding his Master later as well. That left only one thing for him to deal with now. What the hell had just happened? Xanatos sank down to the ground once more and started trying to remember the exact events before he had passed out.

Qui-Gon had told him to take the ship up to the Temple. Xanatos had disobeyed him because he had felt from the Force that he should search for Calan. He had left the ship, going in the direction Calan had disappeared.

And then he had found Calan and the Master had told him what he had wanted to know but hadn?t wanted to believe. Calan had abused Obi-Wan, had beaten him and punished him mentally. And Xanatos had lost control. He tried to recall what it had felt like and it came to him easily. Not just the memory but the power he had felt itself. More power than he had ever had at his disposal, more power than he had ever imagined having. But there it was, easily within his grasp. He just had to reach out and claim it, making it his, giving himself over to it. But no; the power was tainted, he had felt it before but not to this degree. It was then that he realised what it was he had almost done just now, what he had done only a few hours ago. Breathing hard and staring at the opposite wall, Xanatos realised that he had betrayed everything he had ever lived for.

Obi-Wan heard the storm subside outside and knew that they would go back to the Temple now. Back to his Master. To a punishment he couldn?t even imagine. Obi-Wan took a deep shuddering breath when he heard Master Jinn coming towards him. The Master had been nothing but gentle with him but Obi-Wan didn?t trust him. He knew where that would lead.

?Come, Obi-Wan. I think it?s safe to go out now.? The Jedi?s voice was encouraging again.

Obi-Wan stood up and followed the man out of the building. Outside, hardly anything had changed. The street was still full of rubble. Trying not to stumble, the Padawan went after the Master, not knowing what would happen now or where they were going.

Suddenly Master Jinn stopped, closing his eyes as if searching for something within himself. Then he started walking again without a word. They walked along several blocks of buildings, not encountering anyone or hearing the slightest indication that other life

6. Opal

Opal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    Oh, good. You had me worried about poor Xani there on your last post. I'm glad to see that he's all in one piece- for now at least. :p

7. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    Will Xan have to tell all to the COuncil? If so, I sense trouble in the temple.

8. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Excellent post!! Glad to know the facts are out in the open!! Mace keeping an eye on Obi? Now that would be a helluva twist of fate if Mace becomes Obi-Wan's Master. Actually that'd be a nifty thing...Obi-Wan would definitely excell beyond his natural skills with the saber if Mace did become his Padawan... ummm

Great work! Can't wait for the next chappy!

9. jeday

Jan 4, 2004
    Yeah, it's a relief that Xanatos is save for now. :)
    I wonder why Qui-Gons doesn't want to know anything about Obi-Wans abuse.

10. Jedi_Nifet

Feb 8, 2002
    It seems Xanatos will soon join the list of my favourite characters. :) I wonder how he is going to tell the Council about his touch with the Dark Side.

Hmm... Mace and Obi-Wan. They could make quite a duet.

11. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I loved this And he also knew that if something crossed the bond, a punishment was warranted. A Padawan was never to disturb his Master with his own feelings. That was one of the first things Obi-Wan had learned from Master Calan. Just goes to show how damaged Obi-Wan really is - that his views on the Master/padawan relationship is tainted.

Loved that Xan wanted to tell Qui everything but could not in his shame. Loved that Obi-Wan was frightened and alone. He had tried to run away but I think he did so more in fear than thinking about it clearly beforehand. Now, he has to think. And realize that he is Masterless. What will he do now? What will they do now?

Looking forward to more!!!!

12. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Opal We'll see for how long. [face_devil]

PadawanKitara To tell you the truth, I'm not sure, yet. Ah, this indecision. ;)

Kynstar Thanks! :) We'll just have to see how it will work out for all of them.

jeday No particular reason. I promise, it will be in the next post. Sorry, no mystery there.

Jedi_Nifet Glad to see I'm not the only one, Xanatos has an effect on. :D

dianethx I often wondered about Obi-Wan's maturity in the JA books and, honestly, I don't think he would be that mature at only 13 years of age. His running away was indeed just caused by fear and not by any plans he had. Glad it came across. :)

13. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I think Qui likely knows more than Xanatos thinks, if Qui is willing to be honest with himself. It would be hard to acknowledge darkness in the person you love most.

Lovely job, Indra! Looking forward to the next chapter! :)

Shaindl

14. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    I've been lurking on this but thought I would pop in to tell you how much I am enjoying it so far. :)

15. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Shaindl Good thought. Isn't that the problem everyone has? Seeing the negativ things in someone they want to be perfect? Thanks a lot! [face_blush]

obi_ew Glad you enjoy it and thanks for telling me. :)

Thanks to Shaindl for the beta! Hope you like it.

Chapter 8

Qui-Gon Jinn was dead tired. He wanted nothing more than to sleep and yet he sat on the couch in the living area of his quarters staring at the vid-screen and not understanding a single word the newscaster said. So Obi-Wan had been abused. Xanatos had been right. Why hadn't Qui-Gon sensed anything? He should have felt that something was wrong immediately upon seeing the boy at the landing pad. And there had been a slight warning in the Force but he had ignored it, deeming it unimportant. What was wrong with his connection to the Force?

His eyes still unfocused, Qui-Gon turned off the vid-screen. The Kenobi boy should be in bed by now, so he could comm Mace. He didn't want the boy to hear him talking to the other Master. He took out his commlink, typed in the frequency, then put it away again, took his cloak and left. Better talk to him in person.

Mace Windu had just put the boy in the small spare room of his quarters and turned off the light when the buzzer of his door sounded. It was Qui-Gon and he didn't look happy.

"May I come in?"

"And hello to you, Qui-Gon. Sure, come in."

Mace closed the door behind his friend and motioned for him to sit on the sofa.

"Do you want something to drink?"

Qui-Gon shook his head. "Is Obi-Wan asleep?"

"Well, yes, I believe he is. What's the matter Qui-Gon? Did Xanatos tell you something about Calan or about what happened?"

Qui-Gon hesitated, which worried the dark Jedi even more. Qui-Gon never hesitated. If he had something to say, he just said it. But Mace waited.

?Calan told Xanatos that he had abused Obi-Wan.?

Qui-Gon looked down as he said it and then up at his friend to gauge his reaction. Mace felt like someone had slapped him. He wasn?t sure what he had expected but it hadn?t been this.

?Qui, this is...I mean...are you sure??

?Xanatos told me and I have no reason not to believe him.?

Mace took a few deep breaths, trying to digest what he had just heard. Of course Qui-Gon was sure. He wouldn?t have told him if he wasn?t. But a Padawan abused? In the Temple? Without anyone realising it? He couldn?t quite believe it. He tried to focus, to react to what he had been told, to somehow ask the other Jedi everything that was important. But what was important now? Mace shook his head to clear away the numbness.

?Abused him mentally or physically??

?Probably both.?

Silence fell between the two men, each lost in his own thoughts until Mace finally spoke.

?Have you talked to Obi-Wan about this??

?Of course, I haven?t. What should I have said to him? ?Is it true that your Master beats you???

?Okay, okay, stupid question. So what now??

?Mace, I don?t know. Am I on the Council??

?What does it have to do with me being on the Council??

?I...I don?t know. Sorry, Mace. It?s just...it?s a bit disconcerting that something like that could happen here in the Temple without anyone noticing, well, except Xanatos.?

Mace stared at the other Jedi. ?Xanatos knew about this??

?He didn?t know about it, but he suspected something. And I didn?t listen to him.? Silence again. ?So, what will happen now??

Mace sighed. ?I?ll talk to Yoda tomorrow. He will know what to do. Let Obi-Wan sleep in peace for now. He?s safe here.?

Qui-Gon nodded and stood up. At the door he turned around, looking at Mace again as if there was more he wanted to tell his friend, but he just said ?Good night.? and left.

It would not be a good night. Mace was certain of that.

Obi-Wan lay in his bed listening to Master Windu walking around in the apartment.

He was staring at the traffic outside the window when he heard the buzzer of the door and someone come into the apartment. He recognised the voice of Master Jinn but co

16. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Poor kid. He seems so confused and he is. The lies his Master has told him would make Xanatos's acceptance of bonding and 'distruption' with Qui-Gon seem unbelievable.

Good job. Keep going. Hope Mace will take Obi-Wan as Padawan. They could both use some shaking up!

17. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Woohoo! Great job! Now Mace being Obi's Master... now that would rock! Obi being skilled with the saber and under Mace's tutelage... now he'd become one of the best! If not the best! Wow... great work here! Poor Obi.. having to fumble thru his emotions and thoughts.

Good to see Xani as an anchor for somebody!

Can't wait for the next installment

18. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Ooh, Mace as Obi's Master? That would be great! I'm so glad that Xani was able to help - but he's still got a lot of issues of his own to deal with. Can't wait for more, Indra!

Shaindl

19. jeday

Jan 4, 2004
    Mace would be a perfect master for Obi-Wan. :)
    But I think at the moment Obi-Wan has more trust in Xanatos.
    Great post! :D More soon?

20. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    jeday said it better than me. Especially the "more soon?"

21. Opal

Opal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    More soon would be nice. :)

22. Jedi_Nifet

Feb 8, 2002
    It seems Obi-Wan is making small steps toward being normal. But why do I think this isn't going to be that easy? ;)

23. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    dianethx I think Obi-Wan's whole reality is highly distorted. It's probably hard for him to accept things that are completely normal to most other Jedi.

We'll see about Mace. ;)

Kynstar Having Xan as a good person for a change was the whole idea. I somehow don't like him to be this completely evil being that's always portrayed in the JA-books. Maybe I'm just too inconsequent. ?[face_plain]

Shaindl But who likes to deal with their own issues? [face_devil]

jeday He certainly does. Maybe something will come from that? Thanks!

PadawanKitara and Opal Sorry, it will take a bit longer. Got a lot of stress at the
    moment. :(

Jedi_Nifet Maybe because easy wouldn't be interesting? ;)

24. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Hi,

just wanted to let you all know that it will be some time till the next chapter. I will have final exams on the 16th, 17th and 18th of June. Those are really important and I won't have time to write until after they've taken place. Sorry about that.

See you then!

Indra

25. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Uh oh! Well g'luck on them! We'll wait :D though some of us less patiently than others! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.