main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sci Fi Corniness, Need help compiling clips

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by SpreadingtheMuse, Sep 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpreadingtheMuse

SpreadingtheMuse Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2009
    I make sci fi educational films where I use TV shows like B5 and Trek to demonstrate Physics concepts like Kinetic Energy, Laws of motion, Centrifugal Force etc. My movies can be found on Youtube under the titles "THE PHYSICS OF STARSHIP BATTLES"
    Here's the latest one:
    Physics of Starship Battles: Artificial Gravity

Now I want to make a movie about Radiation, and I need to compile a series of video clips that demonstrate Hollywood's ignorance and corniness on the subject. Such as on the Simpsons X Files crossover, where Mr. Burns says "A lifetime in a nuclear power plant has given my body a healthy green glow."
    Even better, sci fi movies from the 50's with giant bugs where they say "Radiation made this monster!" and such. I can only think of a few Simpsons clips, but I know there's a series of good corny movie quotes out there if I can just remember them. Have anything good off the top of your head?

2. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Any Kaiju movie, most especially Godzilla. Almost all of those monsters are the result of some radiation. If you want really corny, go with the Mathew Broderic Godzilla.

Indianna Jones: The abomination, in which indy survives a nuclear test by climbing into a refridgerator.

Iron Giant educational duck&cover cartoon

Dr. No and the nuclear reactor showers. Actually any James Bond movie with nuclear super-power generators has something campy in it.

The Black Hole and 20,000 Leagues under the Sea both have cheezy nuclear generator effects

Original DOA movie (all of it is corny)

Daria urban legends episode where the family builds a bomb shelter and the smart girl goes down to have some peace&quite and the family turns the shelter into a BBQ grill

The Incredible Hulk 60s cartoon. "Doctor Banner/ Melted by Gamma Rays/ Turns into the Hulk..."
    Hey, the 60s Spider-Man cartoons with the origin of Spider-man.
    70s Fantastic 4 cartoon openning sequence

Almost every 70s & 80s tv show about nuclear reactors going out of control gets it wrong.

"Enemy without a Face" classic 50s horror movie. How to stop a nuclear reactor? Blow up the control room using dynamite!

that should keep you busy for a bit. Someone else my have a few suggestions, but this list should last you until s/he posts.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    If you're looking for a counterpoint, in Farscape there's an episode where One of the John Crichtons is given a lethal dose of radiation and dies from radiation poisoning.

4. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

Battlestar Galactica (new version) had a few radiation episodes. The original miniseries was one, towards the end. There was a lot of concern about radiation when Helo and Sharon were down on Caprica in season one. And in season three there was an episode where the fleet had to deal with radiation from a nebulae they were passing through.

5. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I seem to recall Matinee had some good stuff from the movie-in-the-movie: Mant!

In fact, I see the important clips are up here.

6. SpreadingtheMuse

Sep 15, 2009
    I was wracking my head to think of clips from the new BG. Helo stays on Caprica for a while in season one. Any way to narrow down a specific ep and what exactly was said? And what else happened in that season 3 ep? I dont remember it.

7. SpreadingtheMuse

Sep 15, 2009
    MANTINEE is a great find! Thanx.

8. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    One of the Many deaths of Daniel Jackson in Stargate SG1 was by radiation. Aside from that episode, radiation has largely been a non-entity for most of the show--something mentioned and then glossed over.

9. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    There is a delightfully wretched 80s movie called Robot Holocaust which, set in the post-apocalyptic future, features a tribe of fur-clad, telepathic (but only with robots!) "Nomads" who are immune to the irradiated poison air, and other such silliness.

There is one infamous scene in which a warrior swings a sword at a mutant's crotch... and in the next shot, the mutant's head flies off! Hilarious stuff. Check it out, if you have the stomach for such awfulness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.