main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Scotland is "worst small country" according to report

Discussion in 'Archive: Scotland' started by halibut, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6739007.stm

[face_plain]

It's bad enough that Europe keep slagging off the UK, without the Brits doing it themselves. Interesting that the article doesn't mention what the other 9 countries are.

2. I_AM_GEEK

I_AM_GEEK Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 5, 2004
    At least we're the best at something=D=
    and by the sound of the report,
    its mostly Glasgows fault anyway.

Childhood obesity, ftl

3. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    When I see things like that about Glasgow, I get annoyed, yeah we have our bad points but so does every other city in the world! The media here in the UK always seem to focus on the bad and never the good. So here are some testimonials showing it's not so bad!

Lonely Planet Guides
    Glasgow is the most Scottish of cities, with a unique blend of friendliness, urban chaos, black humour and energy. It boasts excellent art galleries and museums, as well as numerous good-value restaurants, countless pubs and bars and a rollicking arts scene.

Fodors
    In Gaelic, Glasgow means "the Dear Green Place," a fitting title for the city with more parks per square mile than any other in Europe. The city has changed dramatically over the years, from prosperous Victorian hub to world shipbuilding center to depressed urban area. Today a re-energized Glasgow is thriving, famous for its passion for football (soccer) and fabulous shops that beat those in Edinburgh hands-down. Its distinguished university is over 500 years old and worth a visit, as is Kelvingrove Park, the vibrant meeting ground adjacent to it. Glasgow is very proud of its buildings by two great homegrown architects, Charles Rennie Mackintosh and Alexander Thomson. Trendy cafés and well-preserved pubs, some with live music, are a refuge for those interested in more local, thirst-quenching activities. Most impressive, though, are the Glaswegians, so genuine that their warmness and lyrical way of speech stay with you long after you leave Scotland. Yes, the city has some rough patches; drugs and poverty in areas like the Gorbals and East End, but major cleanup efforts have been made. True, you're guaranteed rain, so join the army of tourists in Scotland's largest and friendliest city.

National Geographic travel magazine
    Coolest City in the U.K.
    Glasgow goes high-style with innovative design, eclectic boutiques?and unpretentious attitude.

and my personal favoiurite!

Huey from The Fun Luvin Criminals on Jonathan Ross's Radio two show from a couple of years ago.

He was talking about the gig they had just performed in London

JR "So Huey, now you have finished with your gig where do you play next"

H "Glasgow next week"

JR "so what are you going to do now, paint London Red?"

H "no we have got a 1 pm flight to Glasgow"

JR "But your gig isn't until next week"

H "Have you ever been to Glasgow?"

JR "Once or twice"

H "then why are you asking me? there are only two cities worth spending time in, my home town NYC and Glasgow"

Enough said! :)

4. MrDankDonk

MrDankDonk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2001
    Scotland's poor economic performance in comparison to the 'arc of prosperity' countries around it is a central part of the SNP argument for independence.
    The Nats maintain that the scottish people are being disadvantaged by the spending priorities of the westminster government.
    If we were governed independently, and thus able to allocate taxation cash to suit our best interests, the SNP believe we could emulate the successful small economies of Eire, Iceland, etc

I believed this argument enough to vote for it. Time will tell whether it is correct or not.

5. kitty7

kitty7 Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2007
    Scotland cannot be 'the worst small country' simply because Scotland is not a country which stands alone such as Iceland & Norway etc.. we are saddled with England.

Think how rich we really are in education, oil, skills and yet we undermine ourselves so often. In fact recently it was announced that scottish children under the age of 5 are the most advanced in the UK for skills such as colour, sound, shape recognition etc..

so there!

lol

6. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    And you get better and cheaper healthcare, as well as free tuition at your universities

*grumbles at the unfairness of it all*

7. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    And you get decent laws regarding house-buying

8. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    yes, and best of all, there aren't nearly as many english bawbags here....

9. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    oh and hello Kitty7..

your very first post on a Star Wars message board,and its a concise wee argument in favour of scottish independence

are you SURE yir not an SNP employee, hired to trawl the world of chatrooms spreading pro-nationalist propaganda?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.