main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Scribblings on a Datapad --A Journal for 2008 Diary Challenge-- AR 9/6

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Laine_Snowtrekker, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    Yay! He didn't run into a dead end at the station.

Lovin' this Laine!

2. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    Author Replies

VaderLVR64:
    Thanks! Dar's dad is nice, even if he and Torsy's dad do not see eye to eye.

KELIA: Rhuda's just like that, I suppose. Or she was having a bad day. I'm not sure.

Sel: What interesting bytes indeed? We have to wait and see. [face_tightlipped]

PHGS_Weyr: No problem, and thank you!

Nat: Thanks so very much!

Here you all go!

ENTRY 13:

Another dumb assignment for Ms. Woodson. I'm really starting to prefer my own journal to the stupid one I have to keep for class. Oh, well. This time, it was 'Write a poem about this class'. What, we can't think of topics to write on ourselves? So, I thought up this scrap of doggerel:

'I sit in this Basic language class
    Scribbling lines I think rather low
    It goes by really fast
    And I don't know
    If I'll last
    Without it
    Alas!'

To me, poetry has to be--oh, I don't know--organic. Yeah, organic. Free-growing, green. Poems--and stories, for that matter--can't be mimicked; they can't be imitated or produced by some machine. A poem's got to have a soul behind it. Green poems. Vivid poems, like the grass outside the HySec station, or the sky before a massive thunderstorm with terrific downdrafts and straightline winds and such. Green, like the trees' leaves or a Twi'lek's skin or my dad's favorite chair (the one that looks like it was created by a black hole--you know, suck you in and never let you out). That kind of green. I don't think Ms. Woodson knows much about poetry--no, that's not true. She does know a lot about poetry--I don't know if she understands it. Or maybe it's me. I don't know. I'm just a kid. More later.

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Loved it! =D=

4. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    So true, and sadly so in too many a case. But still lovin every minute and data byte of it thus far.

5. SECRETSISTER

SECRETSISTER Jedi Master star 8

Nov 18, 2001
    Laine! :) I am dizzied by the metaphors! Green poetry...fresh, new, never seen or heard before...like a new flower.

And the chair! Oh my! It sounds like my Hubby's - though his is brown - but once you get into it, you don't want to get out! Wait. If it's like a black hole, you can't get out! Oh well, same still holds...sorta.

Love it, dear. ;)

6. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    She does know a lot about poetry--I don't know if she understands it.

I know I don't :p

The poem was cute, though.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

7. Laine_Snowtrekker

Jul 8, 2003
    Author Replies

VaderLVR64: Thanks!

Mitth: I'm glad you're enjoying it...

Sel: Well, I was trying really hard to fit in the mini challenge for March, which was--green. Yep. :) But I do think that. My approaches to lit teacher has given us assignments where we can mimic a poem from the poem. Like, copy everything but the content of the poem itself, like meter, rhyme, length, that sort of thing. Me no likee.

KELIA: Does anyone understand poetry? I mean, truly understand it? I don't. Thanks for liking my little bit of doggerel, though. :)

Here goes:

ENTRY 14:

I went and popped the datachip into my datapad this evening. First, it asked for a name, and so I typed in, "Torref". It's my screen name from school (they always make us log into those computers so that they can track what we're doing, but most of us have figured out how to get around the protocols for that!). It granted me access, and then files kept popping up onto my computer.

The first was marked 'hysec_report', and I clicked on it and opened the document. Well, to sum it up, there was a murder on the upper floor of the Rancorato Place--two, actually. A man and a woman, a married couple named the Antilles (which means practically nothing, since it's the most common name in the Galaxy), murdered with an old-fashioned slugthrower. They were discovered by Berle Vact, old Rancorato's eighteen-year-old grandson, when he "came home from a party".

Dad would say that "The perp wasn't even decent enough to kill 'em cleanly. Slugthrowers are just plain messy." Since there's usually a real good chance that the discoverer of the crime did the crime, Vact became a suspect. I wonder who this Vact guy is, and what he's doing now. If he was the killer, he's probably up to no good.

However, Dad would also say that I'm getting into something way over my head. But a Carumati doesn't have to be just fictional, does it? I'd hate to have to stop when I've learned so much already. I'd feel a bit stupid, that's for sure, and what would I tell Dar and Jak? I don't know. Maybe I should ask my parents a safe-sounding, hypothetical situation and see what they say. They're smart people. More later.

8. PHGS_Weyr

PHGS_Weyr Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2006
    Great job! these two posts were great, the back story of the house was good, i wonder if the son actually did it?

Thanks for the PM's

PHGS Weyr

9. SECRETSISTER

Nov 18, 2001
    heeheehee! There's that Antilles name again. No relation, I'm sure. I'll agree about the slugthrowers...lightsabers and blasters that cauterize keep things from being messy. I think that's a problem. It takes away the horror of the injury or death. Sanitizes it. *shuts up, gets off soap box.* Sorry.

10. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Obi-Wan would NOT approve of using slug throwers! [face_shame_on_you] SO uncivilized! :p

Great update. [face_shame_on_you]

11. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Dad would also say that I'm getting into something way over my head

And so would I :p

I hope he will talk to his parents. I'm sure he can benefit from anything they can tell him.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

12. Laine_Snowtrekker

Jul 8, 2003
    PHGS_Weyr: Hmm. I wonder if the son did it, too...

Sel: Sure, it sanitizes it. But these guys aren't Jedi. Well, it makes it more clean for the undertaker, I suppose. I never really thought about it. But Tor's Dad was in the Rebellion--he saw lots of things being shot at lots of beings. Weirdly, I agree with your soapbox, but I don't think Tor's Dad does. :D

VaderLVR64: I have to admit, that's where I got the sentiment...

KELIA: Yes, I think you're right...

Here goes!

ENTRY 15:

So, I went and asked them. We were at the table, eating dinner, and after Mom finished telling this hilarious story about the crazy things some of her students had done in class, I said that I wanted to ask them something.

"What is it, Tor?" Dad asked.

You know, I had planned all day on what to say, but when Dad asked me, I blanked. Like totally blanked. I don't want to lie to my parents, and I don't want to do anything wrong--but I feel as if I've got to follow this through. That probably doesn't make any sense to anyone but me, but oh well.

"What if there was someone I knew that could possibly be getting into a dangerous situation?" I asked.

Dad looked at me, with one of his looks that he used to use when he was embedded on Coruscant. "Are they being reckless?"

"I don't think so. They're trying to be careful, but they sort of feel that it has to be done. Does that make sense?"

"Oh, Torsy," Mom said, "what's this about? What sort of danger can fourteen-year-olds get into?"

"Don't know exactly," I said. "Does the name 'Berle Vact' mean anything to you all?"

Mom's face paled, and Dad's tightened. "Where did you hear that name?" Dad asked.

"From that person I knew. He said he was investigating something or other."

"Torrence," Mom said, "tell your friend to stop."

"Why?"

"Vact's a bad man, son," Dad said. "He's a Boss, one of those people from the other side whom people know not to trust. People who have meddled with his businesses and such have sometimes just...disappeared."

"But he wouldn't do anything here in Caylanth, would he? I mean, this is the 'civilized' side, right?"

"Tor, do you want to tell us who this friend of yours is?" Dad asked. He looked worried.

"Uh, no, I don't think so," I said. "I'll tell him what you said, though."

And that, journal, is my dilemma. Do I keep 'meddling' in this Rancorato Place business, or do I quit? More later.

13. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    And that, journal, is my dilemma. Do I keep 'meddling' in this Rancorato Place business, or do I quit? More later.

Knowing this character, I'm going to guess "keep meddling." :p

Great update! =D=

14. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    What journalist ever gave up because there was a risk? :p

Nice job, Laine. :)

15. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    This is really nice, and I agree who wouldn't keep going despite the risk. Especially when it involves someone known mainly as the 'Boss' to their parents.

16. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    What sort of danger can fourteen-year-olds get into?

All sorts, unfortunately.

I'm glad Torsy talked with his parents and I have a feeling they knew exactly who was interested in Berle Vact.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

17. Laine_Snowtrekker

Jul 8, 2003
    Author Replies

VaderLVR64:
    How'd you guess? :D

Lank: I don't know; do you know of any? :)

Mitth: Um, yeah. Hope you like this next post.

KELIA: Oh, yes, yes you can.

Here you go:

ENTRY 16:

Journal, I am a stupid, stupid, stupid fourteen-year-old.

First, I blew up the food heating unit on accident because I forgot that my metal spoon was in the bowl when I stuck the food back in to warm it up.

Second, I went back to the Rancorato Place. It was just as dusty and dirty as the time before--there were still skid marks from when I'd flown across the room after dislodging my foot. The boards were just as creaky as the first time, but this time I was more scared.

There is nothing on the first floor--but the second floor is full of all sorts of equipment. I don't know what it is all for, but the house has been deserted for a long, long time. The newest tech equipment wouldn't be sitting there. It's out of place, and so I took lots of holos.

But, when I got back to the first floor, I heard the back door open, and so I hid in the closet under the stairs. I watched the foyer through the crack of the slightly opened door as two men entered the room. The first man was the one who'd scared Dar, Jak, and I from the house the first time we'd visited. The other man was shorter, a little heavier, and wearing immaculate formals. He really looked out of place in the dusty foyer.

"Jasan," the man said, "you sure none of those boys have come back?"

"Yes, sir," Jasan replied, glancing around the room, his eyes landing on the closet door. However, I stayed very still. "Haven't seen hide nor hair of them ever since."

"Good," the man in formals said. "Because I don't like interlopers. If they had continued to trespass, I would have to resort to you using drastic measures."

"I don't kill children," Jasan said. "I have some of my own."

"Oh, I know about them," the man said. "They're eight and eleven, and are far too nosy for their own good."

"Are you threatening me?" Jasan asked. "You know I only agreed to work for you this last time because you said that you'd block my business otherwise."

"And I would," the short man said. "You don't double-cross me." He sighed, and fiddled with his tie. "Is it set?"

"The surveillance equipment is set up," Jasan replied. "You can commence recording the wiretaps I placed in the city hall."

"Good, good," the man said. "Well, I must be off. We'll meet here again on the 22nd."

"Yes," Jasan said. He--and I--watched as the shorter man left. Then Jasan turned, with blaster drawn, and came over to the closet.

He pulled the door open. I scooted back, afraid of that DL-44, echoes of Jak telling some story about gaping holes in a person's chest ringing through my head. "You again?" he asked.

Journal, my heart was beating so quickly, I was so scared. I just nodded. "How...how...how did you know I was here?"

"Closet door was open; wasn't when I left."

"You didn't tell him I was here."

"No, and I'm not going to." Jasan holstered his blaster and snapped the holster shut. "He's not a good man."

"But you're working for him."

"Unfortunately, yes. But I have to survive--oh, why am I defending myself to you? You're just a kid."

"I'm fourteen. I'm not a kid."

"You're a kid, kid," he said. "And it's best that you forget everything you saw here and never come back."

"Whatever he's doing is wrong, and you know it."

"Don't I know it," Jasan said. "But sometimes we do things we know are wrong, and regret it. I can't expect you to understand. Now, go home."

With one more glance at the man's face, I ran past him and out of the house.

I am a stupid, stupid, stupid kid.

18. SECRETSISTER

Nov 18, 2001
    Now, that's a real stomach clencher. What does one do in Jasan's position? I hope he and Torsy can come up with something to put a kink in this nefarious
    'man dressed in formals'. I'm thinking that Torsy is being a bit hard on himself...unless he was hoping that his little investigation was a light-hearted lark. That doesn't sound like Torsy, though.

19. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Aw, you're not a stupid kid! [:D] Another great update. =D=

20. PHGS_Weyr

Apr 11, 2006
    Yeiks! That was close, silly Torsy!

Great job thanks for the pm!

phgs weyr

21. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    :eek: :eek:

Torsy is very lucky Jasan isn't as evil as his employer.

Now I wonder if he's going to do anything with the information he's learned?

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

22. Laine_Snowtrekker

Jul 8, 2003
    Author Replies:

Sel:
    Maybe he didn't think it was a lark--but he didn't think it would be quite that possibly dangerous, either.

VaderLVR64: Torsy thanks you while squirming away (he is fourteen, after all) and I thank you too.

PHGS_Weyr: No problem about the PM.

KELIA: Oh, he is. I like writing Dickens-esque. [face_whistling]

Here you go:

ENTRY 17:

My galactic history class took a trip to the city hall today. I, for one, thought it rather convenient for myself.

We were winding through the exhibit on the Battle of Yavin, which was full of holographs of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Leia Organa-Solo--and an exquisite model of Red Five's X-Wing (which was quite wizard, by the way), when I spotted him.

He was sitting on the bench next to the water fountain, leaning against the wall. He had dark hair and was neatly dressed, like he was some professor at the university or something, but I had the oddest feeling that he was watching me. So I ignored him and oohed and aahed at the short holomovie of what the explosion of the first Death Star must have looked like. When I looked back, he was gone--and that worried me.

Dar noticed me watching the bench, then asked, "What's the problem, Tor?"

I shook my head. "Nothing, nothing at all."

Jak frowned. "It's nothing to do with you-know-what, does it?" he asked. (Somehow, they've figured out that I'm still investigating the Rancorato Place. Not sure how, though.)

I took them to the side, away from the droning tour guide. "Yeah, I think this guy was watching me." I described him for my friends--and they started to look around as discreetly as possible.

"Nailed 'em," Jak said. He pointed towards the exhibit on the Battle of Hoth. The man was standing next to the sign that read "Galactic maps sold at the gift shop". He smiled when he saw Jak pointing, and came towards us.

"Oh, what do we do now?" Dar said.

"Act casual," I suggested.

"You want us to act casual?" Dar said. "Are you crazy?"

I nodded as the man reached us. I could tell that he was on the youngish side, maybe seventeen or so--but he still looked pretty tough. "You Reffins?" he asked.

I nodded again, this time nervous. How did he know my name? Who was this guy? He wouldn't shoot me in a museum in city hall, would he?

He grinned. It was one of those cocky grins--sort of like the grins that the display's holograph of Han Solo wore. He leaned in close and grabbed my hand. I felt something slip into it. "You match the description I was given, all right. My employer just wanted to remind you to stay out of his boss' business."

He straightened back up and glanced around, then shrugged. I peered in the direction that he had last looked, and I swear that I thought I saw that man Jasan standing on the balcony across the room. But I can't be sure, because the young man slapped me on the shoulder and said, "Gifts should be opened in private."

"Especially at the holidays, when one's mom is expecting you to find them."

He nodded and grinned again. He bade me farewell and disappeared into the crowd.

At that point, the three of us were called back to our tour group as Mr. Akalush stared disapprovingly at us. And I wondered what I'd been given.

More later.

23. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    Finally I've caught up!

Great developments in the plot and characters, Laine :) Can't wait to find out what the 'present' is!

24. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    I can't wait for the next post! :D

=D=

25. PHGS_Weyr

Apr 11, 2006
    That was great! Nice cliff to hang out with while we wait, i really wonder what the prescent is thanks for the pm!

phgs wEYR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.