main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Seaquest DSV

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by ObiWan506, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    [image=http://www.pazsaz.com/pic/seaquest.gif]

[image=http://www.zactomodels.com/pictures/Gallery%20pics/SeaQuest.jpg]

Any SFF fan knows about Seaquest DSV. As I kid I loved this show. Just the fact that I usually had no idea what was going on but still loved the show is a testament to it's greatness. On it's debut critics called it "Voyage to the Bottom of the Ratings". Ha.

I just recently found out that Season One was released last December. I wholeheartedly plan on getting it.

Let's see:

Talking Dolphin .... check!

Ultra cool futuristic underwater vessel ... check!

Interesting SFF plot ... depends on who you ask, but check anyway!

2. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    You're welcome :p

Its odd how I remember this show vs. how it actually is. I didn't pick up the DVDs as they were pretty hard to find but Sci-Fi did a marathon on the day the DVD was released. Nothing was near as enjoyable as when I was a kid and absolutely smitten with the show.

3. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Exactly. As a kid I loved the show. I don't know why. Maybe it was the cool ship, or the talking dolphin. All I know is I enjoyed it to no end.

4. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I remember bits and pieces of this one and it always seemed interesting. Couldn't get into it at the time but I may have to revisit it agian one of these days.

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I remember watching this show and enjoying it greatly. Also that my daughter had a big crush on Jonathan Brandis at the time. LOL

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I loved this show as well and I felt it got the shaft by NBC in Season 3. I felt it was just getting it's legs in the ten year jump.

I was saddened to hear about Brandis' suicide two years ago. :(

7. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Well, finding out about Brandis' suiide sure takes the fun out of taking the piss out of the show, but I'll try nonetheless.

I watched the first season of the show on Saturday evenings, without thinking much about it, and although it seemed okay, I recall a fan backlash going on at the time against teenage super-geniuses in shows at the time; I think there were three shows getting it in the neck:

The teen and his dolphin in DSV;
    Wesley Crusher in Star Trek: The Next Generation
    Cannot recall the other show.

Anyways, I caught the show again many years later one night when a navigator was looking at a readout which told him how many years back in time they had come, and I was struck by the thought, "who the frag designs a submarine with a dial that tells you how many years you have travelled?"

It is hard enough to swallow on Star Trek, but when designing a sodding submarine, who has the foresight to see that possibility coming up?

8. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Anyways, I caught the show again many years later one night when a navigator was looking at a readout which told him how many years back in time they had come, and I was struck by the thought,

Maybe he was reading a newspaper article or something?

9. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Remarkable! According to the high precision digital chronograph, it's July 9th 1947. which would explain why the chronograph has turned into this pin-up calendar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.