main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars OPEN Second Chances - A Star Wars SHORTS game [CS Welcome!]

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Kalio_Dynkos, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    GM APPROVED!
    Character Sheet

[​IMG]

Name:
    Teddy Krohaan

Species: Abednedo

Homeworld: Kuat

Purpose for Travel: On the run...

Appearance: 6’1” tall, brown-grey skin with long face tendrils and a rim of bushy, greying hair on his head. His usual garb is a navy jumpsuit complete with a light leather jacket.

Personal Effects: A-180 Blaster Pistol, pocket-sized portable Sabaac kit

Brief Character History:

Teddy, though born on Lothal, was raised on Kuat where he found work in his late teens as a starship maintenance mechanic. By the age of thirty he had successfully set up his own business in the trade. The Abednedo made a good living, securing some big contracts and building an impressive network of associates.

At age 55 Teddy sold his company and planned to live off his savings and do some travelling. One of the first places he visited was Canto Bight where he developed something of a gambling addiction and got himself in deep with the sharks (Local authorities on Cantonica and, more unfortunately, The Hutt Cartell)

At his age Teddy yearned for a quiet life and did not want to spend the remainder of it looking over his shoulder. He booked a place on The Second Chances and planned to either figure out a way to disappear or go back to work and earn his way out of his debts.

After the crash of The Second Chances, he has found himself marooned on an island under the leadership of Rion Eedic.

Surely his luck is due to turn soon…

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2021
  2. Kalio_Dynkos

Kalio_Dynkos Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    OOC: My apologies for the delay. We lost power for 24 hours and that's alway fun for internet connectivity. :p And.....we're back.

Chapter 2
    The Most Dangerous Beast...

GM UPDATE #1 OF #6

27 BBY (6 Years Later)
    Second Chances Encampment

The planet, unfortunately, hadn’t been identified. Crashing has a way of mixing up circuitry, and though the devastated CR-90 had some remaining power, the collective wisdom amongst the survivors was that it should go toward keeping them alive.

What they did know was it was highly probable that they’d crashed on a planet on the edges of the Unknown Regions. The only thing they for sure knew was that they had survived.

Initially, the survivors were optimistic that they would be rescued. They had no idea what had been transpiring in the rest of the galaxy, and the galaxy itself seemed to forget about them. The Naboo situation, followed by a growing tension and build to conflict - an errant mission of help didn’t stay in the headlines. After the Jedi came up empty, it just fell off the cycle.

The survivors faced many challenges. The planet itself seemed largely inhabited. The water was acrid, but moisture vaportors were capable of making it drinkable. Giant sea monsters filled the raging ocean. The air itself tasted awful and had proved fatal for some species.

In 6 years, the survivors of the Second Chances was down to a few thousand.

Thoughts of rescue were largely becoming less likely.

Over time, the rear half of the CR-90 had washed up on shore and was heavily cannabilized for housing on the main island. Thankfully, the ship had been meant as a relief mission and a cargo vessel, so there were ample stores that included not only food, but tools, seeds, clothing, and so on.

The people did not suffer from a lack.

Nevertheless, greed has a way of effecting even those desparate.

While no one knew the particulars, a lone Alderaanian named Kendoh Thul had been able to gather the largest collection of stores. He’d quickly found supporters, protectors and even enforcers that kept his collection his own. In a life such as this, having these goods was more power than all the priceless jewels. He had the power to grant or take life by the goods he produced and hoarded.

The largest island had been the crash site, and housed the largest population. The vast majority of this community had enough to get by comfortably, but was perhaps the most vicious. The most out to get their own and survive.

This didn’t sit well with the others, and thought it was difficult they ventured off on their own to establish a second settlement. Headed by the gran Rion Eedic and populated by mostly farmers and Alderaanians, the community moved to a second island not far from the first. Here a more altruitistic community began to form.

Though they supported each other, it was harder here.

Still, most were happy. They had the heroes Deveraux and Lissa - the pilot and junior senator that had guided the errant Second Chances to the ground. They had single-handedly saved the lives of thousands and were popular.

Others like Teddy Krohaan were likewise appreciated here, where their skills kept machines running.

This was all especially appreciated as the droids had long been gone. Some were cannabilized for parts for broken machines and tools. And not long ago, those that had been around vanished. They weren’t overly missed - in particular the TwoJays who had a penchant for over describing the misery everyone found themselves in.

Still, this was life and it was a life they were living.

Keedon Tree, a human nearing his 50s, spat into the ground and covered it with dust from his boot. A bitter plant nearby was one of the few that grew out of the rock, and had some medicinal qualities. For Keedon, this was for the headache that pulsated behind his eyes.

He leaned back to get a clear view of the human before him, Kendoh Thul.

Tree was the community leader on Chances Ridge, the settlement on the larger island. This was his monthly meeting with the Alderaaninan wherein they haggled. It usually went Thul’s way, which was tiresome.

Tree palmed the twin blasters strapped to his hip, and eyed the two Gammoreans that flanked Kendoh’s shop. He wish he knew where he kept his goods, but that was for another time.

“Listen,” he ground out behind a forced smile. “Let’s not make this difficult, eh? The allotment ‘tisn’t nuff for the Ridgers.

He waved back to the crowd standing behind him - perhaps a dozen men with various tools brandished as weapons.

The Ridgers had the most of either community, but stores were said to be getting low, and they wanted their share before it was gone.

Tree turned back to Thul.

“How about a new agreement, lessn’ we need to take it by force” he breathed.

Tag: @Sinrebirth

The gran, Rion Eedic, in a past life had been a mob boss -and a successful one at that. While just a lieutenant, he’d made both his fortune and his fame.

That was until that tattooed Zabrak took everything.

Eedic reached deep in the bag in front of him and handed the last morsel of food he had out to Teddy Krohaan. The Abednedo had been a mechanic and very valued here on New Hope - the smaller of the two settlements.

Eedic was a bully. There wasn’t a doubt there. But he was a bully that knew systems - how to build them, how to make organizations work, how to keep people in line. He fancied himself some sort of mayor. Teddy was one of his favorites. Maybe it was because Rion could always pick an old gambler out of a pack, or perhaps it was because Krohaan was actually a valuable member of the community.

Eedic wouldn’t admit it publically, but he liked these people and the place he’d found amongst them.

“You know, pal,” he said handing dusting off the crumbs from his. “We’ve got a lot folks starving here. Crops just aren’t coming in best as they should. We’re due for our next visit to the Ridgers for supplies. Could use someone with your…experience to help out the younger folks. Thinking you be up for a journey?"

Tag: @Snokers

The heroes of the Second Chances, Lissa and Dev, had likewise settled on New Hope Island. Though there were rumours they’d coupled, it may have just been gossip. Especially now, 6 years on, with emotions as tense as they were day to day any relationship would be hard.

That’s not to say there weren’t new couples - or new children for that matter. But, when you didn’t know when the supplies might finally run out it was hard to plan for such things.

Regardless, they were trusted by both communities. The Ridgers and the Hopes.

A few years back, when it was clear there wasn’t a rescue coming any time soon, there were riots that stormed on the crashed CR-90 as panic set in. People were desperate then. Worse than now, if that could be believed. And after the leaders regained control, the Second Chances was deemed off limits.

That is, except with out permission - which Lissa and Dev had been given.

Both communities had requested that they go to the ship, and see if there was anything else that could be done - a beacon, if the ship could be salvaged for parts to make a craft. Anything.

Before them both stood the massive hulk of the Second Chances - a ruin on a ruined world. Large sections of bulkheads were clearly exposed, while others were smashed in and impassible.

It was their job to get in. What they would find inside was anyone’s guess.

Tag: @Jerjerrod-Lennox @Kurisan

Kurisan and Jerjerrod-Lennox like this.
  3. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Lissa Verlaine
    Standing before the Shipwreck

[​IMG]

Lissa knew this was going to be hard, and not just the nature of the mission itself. He was going to be there.

It had been beautiful at first - a hard life trying to find food and shelter on an alien world, of course - but they were in it together, and with everything they did, they thought of each other.

But once they found their plot and so began the toil of actually trying to grow things, the hard graft, the tedium, somehow the magic had faded away. She blamed him. He blamed her. She knew he was a pilot, an explorer, a traveller, an adventurer. Of course she could not be surprised at his unhappiness. But she was really trying. This life was like nothing she had ever been prepared for - all those classes in etiquette and diplomacy, in negotiation and politics. Useless.

She felt useless.

But at least she had persevered. Maybe it was too much to expect him to know how she felt and be sympathetic, but he just seemed so... so... self-obsessed.

That's not fair, she told herself. You never gave him a chance.

She pulled up on the shore and exited the raft. The wreck loomed before her. Then he came. Lissa turned, opened her mouth. One look at him and she was tongue-tied all over again, just like that 21 year old junior senator that had first set eyes upon him. That seemed like a lifetime ago.

Despite everything, she missed him so much it made her heart break all over again.

She took in a breath, regained her composure. She tried to be nonchalant, without showing emotion. She nodded.

"Hey, Dev. You look okay. I'm glad." she cast her eyes toward the great hulk. "Here we go, together again, huh?"

@Jerjerrod-Lennox @Sinrebirth @Snokers @Kalio_Dynkos

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  4. AgentViper007

AgentViper007 Force Ghost star 7

Mar 9, 2005
    IC: Deveraux Bombardier

Six years.

Six long years.

Of course everyone thought he was a hero. He didn'tcfeel like one. He had ended up crashing the ship and with his piloting skills he was sure he could have pulled the ship up.

Of course Lissa had been there. And at first it was brilliant. They had grown close, not the whole way as it were but just being with her was fabulous.

Then it all fell apart. He wanted to do more, to pilot, to move off this desolate rock and go somewhere else. They had a massive bust up and they moved away from each other emotionally.

They had been ordered back to the wreck of the ship, to scroung whatever they could. And as he approached her...she took his breath away.

She still looked as beautiful as ever. And he missed her like crazy. Dev wanted to say he was sorry, could they try again and maybe move on further. To live together in harmony.

But nothing came out. Apart from: "Indeed, she looks a total wreck but let's see what we can find. And I never thought we would be back here. And together too" he gave her a smile.

"You're looking well too." Dev gestured at one of the open holes "Well let's get started shall we?"

He moved towards one of the open bulkheads to start their quest.

TAG: @Kalio_Dynkos , @Kurisan

Kurisan and Kalio_Dynkos like this.
  5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    IC: Kendoh Thul
    parley

“Listen. Let’s not make this difficult, eh? The allotment ‘tisn’t nuff for the Ridgers.

“How about a new agreement, lessn’ we need to take it by force.”

It was so hard not to smirk, what with his Gammorean guards to hand.

But with Tree armed, and a dozen men and weapons, it wasn't precisely a moment to do that.

Kendoh wondered to himself. He had a dozen loyalists in all, but not they had their own places to be and they weren't here. He could palm his comlink and call them back, and then stall... he tossed his kyber crystal up and down, absently, showing he was not concerned. His free hand he placed on his belt, doing as he said. His pet Wookie, Rabbacca, he would put the fear of death into them all.

He had a blaster of his own, and other, more eclectic fares...

"You could take what I have here, sure, but I'm not going to tell you where the rest of it is, and you're not gonna get it out of me beforehand."

He'd been here before, and more than once, in the last six years.

But he'd never lost control, and he wouldn't today.

Maybe I should pick one of the communities to favour...

Finally he allowed the smirk to come out of him. "I don't want to have to kill my customers, Tree. We never liked each other, but nobody wins if you push me." He caught the crystal again, felt his greed redouble as it always did when he held the crimson Kyber.

TAG: @Kalio_Dynkos

6. Kalio_Dynkos

May 17, 2004
    GM Update #2 of #6

The ruin of the Second Chances revealed itself to the two intrepid explorers sent by the Ridgers and the Hopes. Deveraux and Lissa, whatever their relatioship, was now once again intertwined with destiny.

What had been stark white and highly polished interiors were carbon scored and shattered. Duratseel plates and various debris littered ground. They would need to climb up and around fallen portions of bulkhead.

Within they would find the ship largely picked to pieces. Whole walls were now see through as bulkheads had been removed by crude tools to make shelters in both communities. Flutes of long gone Toniray Wine littered the decks.

The bodies had been removed and buried as a first step among the early days of the crash on this planet.

An eery, hot breeze would blow through the structure from exposed sections creating a howl throughout the structure.

Before Lissa and Dev were a multitude of options primary of which where did they want to go?

They could head to the bridge. Perhaps something was salvageable there.

Or they could explore the engine room. Though the ship had no rear end, there might be parts enough there to create something of help to the survivors.

Finally, there were the cargo bays on each of the four levels. Perhaps supplies had been left behind or undiscovered?

It was up to them to choose their adventure.

Regardless of their decision, within the ship something that had long been dormant - that had found refuge in its solitude - awoke unbeknownst to our two travelers. It both noted their arrival and chose to remain hidden for the time being.

TAG: @Jerjerrod-Lennox @Kurisan
    —————

Keedon Tree sneered at the Alderaanian merchant as he spoke with such nonchalance - tossing his glowing crystal in the air.

"I don't want to have to kill my customers, Tree,” Kendoh said. “We never liked each other, but nobody wins if you push me."

Tree spat into the ground a second time.

“Maybe killin’ you ain’t part of the plan,” he said. “People is starvin’.”

It was a lie, Keedon knew. The Ridgers weren’t eating dewback steaks and potatoes, but they’re on their last meals yet.

Still, it was his responsibility to be sure Kendoh knew his place - even for all his authority. At present he was alone it seemed and he had the backing of the men of the community brandished behind him.

Keedon took a step forward.

“Maybe we take what you have here like you say,” he said. “And maybe…just maybe…we won’t need to ask where the rest is.”

He heard the group moving behind him.

“You’re decision, Mr. Thul," he said, unholstering his blaster and letting it rest at his side.

Tag: @Sinrebirth
    ————-

7. AgentViper007

Mar 9, 2005

It was definatly having that ghost ship feel about it. And there was a hot breeze in here that was making Dev break out in a sweat. He was sorely tempted to take his jacket off.

It seemed sad though, to see this beautiful creation of CEC now in ruins. He might have even delivered the parts to this one.

Where to go next though?

As he was thinking about it, a thought wormed into his brain. He had a bad feeling about this and it could be possibly his last chance to say something to Lissa.

Go on, say it….

He was hesitating.

SAY IT!

"Lissa" he said his tone soft but serious "I'm sorry for that big argument we had. I was a typical Corellian, forceful and brash. I was fustrated and i'm sorry I took it out on you. When we get back….I would like to pick up where we left off or start again".

"I've missed you like crazy. And…..I often thought of you. If you don't want to be with me then I understand. I just want you to know that I care for you. A lot".

Piece said it was time to move on to business.

"I'm guessing somewhere has stuff we can grab. I'm going towards the cargo bay or engine room. There must be some hidden goodies somewhere. And not everyone knows what to salvage from an engine room, but I do" he gave her a wink.

"What do you think?"

Kalio_Dynkos and Kurisan like this.
  8. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    Lissa

It was hot inside the skeleton of the old starship, its bones picked by carrion. She climbed and wriggled her way through with Dev as they evaluated different sections for potential plunder value.

The hot air was also stretched with a tension between them. And then he finally said it.

She closed her eyes. She had thought of little else, for months and months, when he had first left.

"Dev..." she whispered. He continued.

She knew that. Despite everything, she always knew that. But what if they tried again, and it happened again? Lissa was terrified of having her heart broken again. She was too afraid to answer, even though she yearned for him.

He maybe interpreted her hesitation incorrectly, as he soon moved onto business.

She sighed, then tried to think logically about this new question. "Engine room, I think. There are only a few people who know what to do with the things in there, and you're the best of them."

They moved on. It was a long and difficult climb to that part of the ship. Eventually, she could bear it no longer. Sometimes fear can be conquered. Sometimes that is the only way to find happiness. Once, Lissa had been brave.

"Dev," she said as they crept along a dark tunnel. "I feel the same. I'm sorry. When this is done, come back. We'll work it out."

She reached out and found his hand in the darkness...

Jerjerrod-Lennox likes this.
  9. AgentViper007

Mar 9, 2005

Dev found Lissa's hand reaching out for his. And he took it, interlocking his fingers with hers.

And it made him feel alive again. He wanted to kiss her too, take that next step...but he knew it could ruin the mood, maybe it could be too much of a hasty move.

"I'll come back, and i'm never going to leave you. Ever again. I promise" there was probably still a bit to work out for the both of them, but they had at least gotten back on track.

"Damn hot and dark in here. And I have a bad feeling about this" he looked at her "Stay close and don't let go of my hand. "

He wished he had brought a glow rod.

Kurisan likes this.
  10. Kalio_Dynkos

May 17, 2004
    GM Update #3 of #6

The pair of young explorers - Deveraux and Lissa - newly reunited walked hand in hand into the Engine Room. As their eyes had adjusted and the constant lighting in the sky lit up portions the ship shadows seemed to jump out at them. A thick, musty air filled their lungs as they felt their way into the expansive room.

Walking through the darkness, their eyes adjusted to the light and were reset each time the lighting struck - pouring light through the exposed parts of the hold.

As they walked into the hold, Dev’s foot slipped in a puddle of goo. It stuck to his boots and had a low viscosity.

A flash of lightning and the room was revealed. Rows of rock-like structures stood in front of them - each two meters tall. On closer inspection these rock-like structures would in fact have a tell-tale egg-shape.

As the lightning faded, a low, guttural growl filled the darkness. Followed by another. And another. Finally, a ruffle of feathers and hot air was blasted in their direction.

With the next flash of lighting, they saw one. An avian creature, standing over the broken shell of the rock like eggs. It hadn’t yet noticed them. It pitched its head back slowly, and looked about the room.

TAG: @Jerjerrod-Lennox @Kurisan

IC Rion Eedic
    With the Hopers

As he waited for Teddy’s reply, the gran boss was distracted by a flash in the distance. In a few moments, what could only be the echo of blaster fire followed the flash.

He excused himself as a woman came running from the distance. He grabbed a binocular and trained it on her position. She ran with large leaves clutched against her body and running with what could only be described as terror.

Another flash. Larger this time. An explosion echoed from the mountains of the small island. Only his scouts had any real ordinance, and there were only a few thermal detonators left.

He panned the binoc up into the mountains. What had made them use the detonators?

When the woman was on them, the tatters of a flower still tightly held.

“We - Jaas, is dead. We- we have to leave now!”

The gran held up his hands, attempting to calm her. He could see it in her eyes. This wasn’t terror. This was fight or flight.

Jaas was the husband of Theena, a human botanist from Chandrilla. She’d helped them survive with her knowledge of fauna and though few plants survived here, she had been instrumental in finding ones for medicinal use.

The one she held to her closely had bloomed.

She indicated it with a shift of her shoulder.

“After all this time, it bloomed. It was so beautiful! We - we were so excited to have come across one opened,” he face steeled. “It’s attracted something. We have to move. Now.”

TAG: @Snokers

At the Ridger’s camp, the flash would likely not be heard or easily distinguished from the planet’s constant electrical storms. The explosion, however, would be more visible to them than it was the Hopers.

Red-orange flame erupted from the mountainside. Smoke billowed out. In a flash of lightning, rising from the smoke would be the massive form of a large bird-like creature - its wings spanned wide and quickly hidden by the smoke a moment later.

TAG: @Sinrebirth

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  11. AgentViper007

Mar 9, 2005

This was turning into some kind of ghost ship. Lightning, darkness, musty air….

But Dev was not afraid of danger. Like all Corellians, they liked to charge head first into it. But he had Lissa to consider now, to protect even if she didn't need protecting.

Although stepping into a puddle of goo and nearly falling over was not a good start.

Nor was the fact that there were eggs in here, and that a creature was in fact also in here with them.

"Well it looks like we made a wrong turn" he whispered to Lissa "Back out slowly and quietly, made it might not notice us….."

TAG: @Kurisan , @Kalio_Dynkos

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    Kurisan and Kalio_Dynkos like this.
  12. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    IC: Lissa Verlaine

Lissa let the euphoria of the moment carry her through the uncomfortable journey to the engine room. Sure, there was risk and uncertainty and potential heartbreak in the future. But the courage they had shown in admitting their feelings to one another, somehow, she felt, would carry them through all challenges.

Like this one.

Then engine room was hot and humid, and jagged shadows were cast by the lightning. Then she saw the massive egg shapes. And the huge avian creature. Lissa became very still and watchful.

"Well it looks like we made a wrong turn" Dev whispered to Lissa "Back out slowly and quietly, made it might not notice us….."

"Right," Lissa whispered back, tiptoeing away with him. "So, err, on second thoughts let's try the hold instead..."

Her tone was light, but the deadly danger before them took away any humour...

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    impasse

"My choice, eh?" Kendoh glowered at Tree. "I'm sure it is."

The crystal seemed to vibrate slightly, as it sometimes did when something was going to happen...

There was an explosion!

Red-orange flame erupted from the mountainside. Smoke billowed out. In a flash of lightning, rising from the smoke would be the massive form of a large bird-like creature - its wings spanned wide and quickly hidden by the smoke a moment later.

Kendoh swore but signalled the two guards to go for it -

He kicked out his foot at Tree's crotch as chaos broke out, and he snatched at his own blaster and shot at one of the Ridgers -

He needed to get away!

14. Kalio_Dynkos

May 17, 2004
    GM UPDATE #4 of #6

The Babies
    Engine Room of the Second Chances

Mutually deciding to back away from the bird-like creature and room full of eggs, Dev and Lissa whispered to each other and began to slowly move back.

However, the Avka - as the bird was known - was blind at birth. To make up for this, the creatures had incredible hearing and vibrations. The heartbeat alone of the pair was amplified in its ears and it quickly turned in their direction.

It let out an ear piercing screech, which alerted others to the presence of a food source.

To their right, a razor sharp beak snapped in their direction. While unable to catch flesh, it snapped again at the air.

Within moments, the cries from the babies were echoing through the hull of the Second Chances, as other hatcheries were alerted.

As if awakened itself, the Second Chances’ lights flickered and hummed to life. There was yet power aboard and the droid computer located on the bridge remembered Dev and Lissa.

They had worked together before to save lives.

The CR-90 activated its fire supression systems, pouring mist and rusty water from orafices onto the Avka babies. Knowing its power was not infinite, it turned off the lights anew and lit the hallway behind the engine room - directing them by a path of lights to one of its sections of hull that were open to the air.

The droid computer didn’t know why they had come, but they had to leave. Now.

It tried to encourage them out by closing the blast door leading into the Engine Room, though rust slowed its decent. The door fell abruptly, leaving a 1 meter gap along the bottom that they could perhaps fit through.

The Avka babies were now fully awake and rushed the pair of humans. Their cries and squawks filling the air as they pressed in.

Tag: @Jerjerrod-Lennox @Kurisan

Keedon Tree and the Ridgers
    Chaos at the Depot

The explosion on New Hope island caused the whole posse to turn. Though this planet had its share of surprises and a million things that wanted to kill you, this was the first time they had seen this monsterousity. Later, they would find it was called the Avka, a bird-like creature native to this planet.

For now, though, it was the distraction they were hoping for! They could take the goods and run.

But, Kendoh Thul had beat them to it.

Tree hadn’t seen the blow coming, and doubled over in pain. He felt the burn of a blaster shot sail over his head, and heard the cry of one of his men.

And then, it was chaos.

The Ridgers weren’t starving, but they were desparate. Much like Thul, greed had long replaced sense.

At first, they faltered when he shot. They hadn’t expected that. With the explosion from behind them and the creature, they felt pressed into a corner and they bolted for the stores.

Even though this was madness and this was, according to Thul, not all the supplies he’s hoarded, they rushed it anyway. With their weapons brandished, they ran at the shop. Some crashed through crates, boxes. Others took what they could in their arms. Two men decided Thul was more the problem and ran up to him - shards of metal gripped tightly in their hands.

Tree groaned on the ground and attempted to get up, but was trampled by men fleeing with goods.

All too fast, though, the situation changed again. The men began fighting amongst themselves - stealing the stores from each other. A pick-axe was waved and caught a man square in the chest over a crate of machine parts. Another sliced off the arm of his neighbor for the satchel of grain that he’d slung over his shoulder.

Tree willed himself up, drew his two blasters and searched for Kendoh Thul. He’d mean to kill him this time. Perhaps if he was dead, one of his goons would talk about the location of the stores.

Finally, he saw him. Two bodies lay at his feet, blaster holes smoking from their backs - through and through.

Keedon Tree winced at the pain and nausea that egged at him and leveled his blasters on Kendoh Thul and fired in his direction.

TAG: @Sinrebirth

15. AgentViper007

Mar 9, 2005

Still holding on to Lissa's hand Dev began following her.

Unfortunately it seemed, the creature had noticed them and put it's babies on alert. And they were now on the hunt.

The ship though decided to fight back. Whether it had noticed he and Lissa were back or whether it was just defending itself who knew. But the babies were now incapacitated giving them a chance to escape.

"Thank you" he said looking upwards before noticing the door to the engine room had a gap at the bottom. And the babies were after them.

They had failed in thier mission to gather supplies which Dev hated. But now it was all about survival, and sticking together.

"I think that is our cue to exit" he said, leeting go of Lissa's hand hopefully only for the moment, he bolted to the door and wriggled under the gap and through.

He reached down so he could quickly pull Lissa out.

Sinrebirth , Kurisan and Kalio_Dynkos like this.
  16. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    Lissa Verlaine
    Checking out!

Lissa almost screamed when the first hatchling screeched at them. The "baby" was already taller than her, and had a beak like a hooked sword that could easily rip their flesh from their bones. She managed to control herself - survival instinct prevailing over panic - and gasped instead.

The beak snapped at them. Her heart leapt into her mouth and she grabbed onto Dev's arm. Then it seemed the entire ship was echoing with the deafening cries of the avkas.

"Forget the hold, too," she said breathlessly to Dev. "Get out of here, now!"

Remembering the dark and difficult passages that had lead them to the engine room, and trying to estimate the numbers of predators from the cacophony, Lissa felt a dark dismay seize hold of her spirit. How were they going to get out this one?

Then the Second Chances provided the answer. Automated systems had somehow woken up. The avkas in the engine room were incapacitated with fire suppressant. A way was lit, and blast doors opened a crack.

Dev said, "I think that is our cue to exit"

He lead the way, diving under the opening. Lissa needed no encouragement. She ran after him, following close behind into the gap. It was a tight fit, and she wriggled partially through - her legs still exposed on the other side with the avkas. Their screeches punished her ears as the avians thrashed around blindly.

She felt a hand take hers and looked up. Dev was pulling her through! They were going to make it. They had to make it. There was so much they had to live for now...

17. AgentViper007

Mar 9, 2005

Dev pulled Lissa through as quickly as he could but making sure the door did not graze her legs.

The ship had lit the way for them, it wanted them to get out. And Dev would oblige.

He gripped Lissa's hand tightly "Look forward and don't let go of my hand. We are going to get out of here."

He smiled at her "Got lots still to do yet".

He moved forward at a quick pace hoping there would be no more obstacles in the way…..

Sinrebirth and Kurisan like this.
  18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Chaos at the Depot

Thul looked at the two rushing him and dove aside, trying to stay out of the mess as the two guards he had vanished in the melee - the Ridgers turned on each other and wrecked the place, and Thul wasn't sure what to do but get away from things...

He looked for that big bird thing and felt half a thought come to mind -

Tree had vanished underfoot, and he began to wonder if he was dead.

But no, he was getting up, and Kendoh had only one idea left. He lifted his blaster, not to shoot at the man - he wasn't a good enough shot to pull off that... but he could...

He fired in the general direction of the bird-demon thing, and hoped it would be angered and come for them -

There was Tree, standing up, two blasters in hand, and Kendoh opened his mouth to parley, holding up his hands and dropping the blaster.

The two shots rang out, and Kendoh felt one impact his shoulder at the edge, sending him spinning -

Was Tree the only one firing?

Kendoh squeezed his kyber crystal, trying to hold it level, perhaps he could even throw it at Tree -

On some level he knew Tree shooting the kyber crystal was a bad, bad bad idea, but he couldn't rely upon a bird -

19. Kalio_Dynkos

May 17, 2004
    OOC: Sorry for the delay. Bad storms in our area have knocked the regional internet out for the past week. So, just quick responses this week and I'll have Update #4 on Monday! Next week concludes chapter 2.

IC: The Babies
    Hulk of the remains of Second Chances

As Dev pulled Lissa through the gap, both their conversation and their movement provided vibrations violent enough that the blind birds were able to track them with their superior hearing. Had it not been for the cries of their fellow avians echoing in the engine room, they may have even had a meal. But, the cacophony of sound messed even with their hearing.

Still, they were not undeterred. They'd heard the pair, and now they did not. Instinct took over and the followed the source of silence. One by the door started the attack on the door itself. Which attracted another and another. Finally in moments the sheer force of dozens of the tall birds was too much for the transpirasteel frame and it caved.

Bursting through the open space, the avka followed the vibration of the running humans. Some attempted to fly. Others, climbed the walls or ran on two legs.

In the time since, Dev and Lissa had been able to escape the engine room and followed the lights to where the Droid Computer was directing them. The lights terminated by an opening near the old armory - long pillaged and cleared out. There was however, an R2 unit whose dome had been removed. The wires spit out its top, and a faint glow from its innards. Perhaps they could use the droid to some degree as a weapon?

Or, looking up, they would see the opening in the bulkhead above them, A stack of debris nearly at the edge. They could climb...

It was their choice. But time was running out as the ship's inhabitants crawled toward them.

--------

IC: Keedon Tree

The Ridger's leader smirked as his shot spun Thul. It felt good to finally have their way with the "businessman".

Tree leveled his blaster on his again, intent on shooting Kendoh Thul dead. He paused to wonder at the crystal. Strange he'd never really noted it before in detail. Was it some sort amulet?

Regardless, Tree didn't have time to think on it.

The ruckus on the beach - of the blasters and the men fighting - had distracted them from the fact that the bird they'd seen over New Hope Island had taken flight. Its massive body had left the smoke of the villagers there and the minor explosion. It had, in fact, heard the calls of its babies back at the Second Chances. Upon responding to their distress, the commotion below got its attention and it swooped in.

With a violent screech, the adult Avka landed in the camp. A large taloned foot crushed a man under foot. They turned their attention from their struggle to attack the hide of the animal - which does little. Walking forward unfazed, the Avka snapped at the Ridgers.

Keedon Tree spun on his heel and fired the last remaining shots in his blaster at the bird, but it proved fruitless. It screeched at him, picked him up in its massive beak and severed him in half. Tossing the rest to its side, it moved towards the remaining bits of food in Thul's camp - intent on going back to its babies.

@Sinrebirth @Jerjerrod-Lennox @Kurisan

20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    stars alive

Luck, it seemed, was with him.

But not with the Ridgers, it seemed!

Letting the immense bird he had antagonised have its way with the survivors - was easier to rebuild if Kendoh wasn’t dead after all - he scooped up his crystal, and dove into the foliage.

He was safe.

He was breathing.

Now all he needed to do was make his way to the rest of his supplies, lay low, and he’d see what happened next for a bit. Perhaps he’d encourage the other camp to have a go at the Ridgers and finish them off…

21. AgentViper007

Mar 9, 2005

Just when they thought it was safe….

Gripping Lissa's hand as tight as he could he ran, hearing the bangs as the babies tried to make their way through the door.

Making it to a bulkhead it looked like it had been an armoury of some sort, sadly there were no weapons evident apart from a busted R2 unit, that was no good.

Dev could feel a breeze, was it...yes! There was an opening up above them...and it sounded like the babies were on the way, the screeches were getting closer.

"This is our exit" he gestured with a smile "Ladies first, i'll be right behind you. We are going to get out of here".

22. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    Lissa

Lissa almost screamed again as a long, cold, hard avian claw closed on her bare leg while she was still halfway through the doorway. But then she was through the opening, pulled to safety by Dev.

She scrambled to her feet and chased him down the corridor. The lights flickered on, showing them the way. She heard the door behind them buckle and then crash open to the pounding attacks of the avkas.

Don't look back, she told herself as the unnerving scraping of their claws and piercing shrieks filled the corridor behind them. They were being hunted.

They reached a bulkhead... some kind of storage area. An R2 unit with its innards showing. Lissa looked to Dev; could he use those old technical skills, unpractised for so long, in some way? He dismissed it instantly and looked to the pile of debris. There was light above the teetering heap.

"Ladies first," he gestured.

An avian, a forerunner for the rest, suddenly burst into the room. On instinct Lissa grabbed a metal pole from the pile and swung it viciously, shrieking back at the creature as it lunged for her. She caught it just right across the side of the head with a clanging impact, and it slithered to the ground.

The others were coming. Lissa shook her head at Dev.

"I'm not letting you out of my sight now. We go up together!"

She began climbing frantically...

@Kalio_Dynkos @Sinrebirth @Jerjerrod-Lennox

23. AgentViper007

Mar 9, 2005

Dev didn't have to be told twice to move. Although his worry was that the debris pile would shift under the two of them and deposit them right in the middle of the beasts.

He was very impressed with Lissa's handling of the pole. She's got more balls than you do.

He started to climb too, joining her at her side. They had to beleive they could make it, if not…

Was this really an appropriate time?

Oh shut up and say it Dev.

"Just in case we don't get out….I love you Lissa. And when we do get out and we get some time together I would like to show you how much I do. That is of course if you will permit me".

Dev kept on climbing, not looking back or down

Sinrebirth likes this.
  24. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    Lissa

Lissa paused, turned as Dev scrambled up the loose pile beside her, then made his declaration. Part of her was suddenly angry with him. You wait six years then say that now, when we are about to die?

But the anger died instantly, as she looked into his eyes and saw that he meant it. You're not so perfect either, she told herself.

She touched his hand again. "I truly love you, Dev. I always did."

The screech of the avian creatures scraped at her ears again, reminding her of their peril.

"So let's make it count!" she said, resuming her frantic climb toward the light...