main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Second incarnation] Obi-Wan Kenobi: Idiot Man-Child or Subtle Genius

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Quixotic-Sith, Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    In a galaxy where the population is probably in the quadrillions, there are probably millions of people with the last name of Skywalker. One boy on Tatooine with the last name isn't gonna matter. Besides, given Anakin Skywalker's past, Obi-Wan knew that Vader would not only not give Tatooine any special attention, but would probably go out of his way to avoid Tatooine as its a reminder of his painful past...For whatever reason, for 19+ years, Luke Skywalker existed, and both the Emperor and Vader were completely oblivious to it. Keep in mind the sophistication of Obi-Wan's disguise...going from Obi-Wan Kenobi to Ben Kenobi...Honestly, if I were an imperial agent, I would assume a more elaborate disguise...if I came across the name Ben Kenobi in some census of tatooine or something, even if I had knowledge of Obi-Wan Kenobi, I would figure it can't be the same guy, as a Jedi Master surely would take greater steps to disguise himself.

Truly, sometimes the greatest way to hide is to be out in the open.

2. Dark_Faith

Dark_Faith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2004
    Ok, first all, I'm sure Ben didn't enter his name into the cenus and second of all, I'm sure his name was just plain old Ben. The only reason Luke says Kenobi is because Owen and Beru know, but to the rest of the world, he is only old Ben.

3. Darth_Davi

Jul 29, 2005
    your theory completely ignores Luke's recognition of the name though...He knew that Ben's last name was Kenobi already, otherwise he never could have made the connection between Obi-Wan Kenobi and Ben. Its impossible for Luke to know him as only Ben, as dialogue in ANH indicates he knew him as Ben Kenobi.

Luke, in the garage, after seeing the hologram of Princess Leia: "Obi-Wan Kenobi...I wonder if he means old Ben Kenobi."

From ANH, Luke CLEARLY knew Ben's last name as Kenobi.

Plus, it would be highly suspicious if Ben walked around with an ID card that only said "Old Ben" on it, instead of "Ben Kenobi". Its highly unlikely that he never had to provide a last name ever while living on Tatooine.

4. Dark_Faith

Jan 30, 2004
    Um, did you even read my post?

The only reason Luke says Kenobi is because Owen and Beru know, but to the rest of the world, he is only old Ben.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Who says that they don't know him as Ben Kenobi?

6. Dark_Faith

Jan 30, 2004
    Who says they did?

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Ben Kenobi has been among the people for twenty years. They know him as Ben Kenobi. Luke knows him as Ben Kenobi. He's only called Old Ben, because Luke calls him that. No one else calls him Old Ben.

8. Dark_Faith

Jan 30, 2004
    You have no proof to back this up. This makes Obi Wan truly an idiot man-child...

9. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    You mean Yoda.

10. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    He's only called Old Ben, because Luke calls him that. No one else calls him Old Ben.

He goes by the name of Ben and hes old. Im sure at the canteena hes been called that and much worse. :p

11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    You have no proof that isn't the case. Only Luke Skywalker calls him Old Ben.

Not really since the two of them lived in peace for twenty years, without anyone coming for them.

12. Dark_Faith

Jan 30, 2004
    Whatever floats your boat, but there's no proof either way. Until we get a straight answer, its up to your perception. Not even Dark Lord said anything about Obi Wan's new name, except for the fact that the people in the cantina only calld him Ben and not Kenobi. They were watching the holonet too...they must have heard about Obi Wan KENOBI and Anakin Skywalker, the hero with no fear and the Negotiater, heroes of the outer rim sieges...if Ben called hismelf Kenobi, questions would arise, and he'd become suspscious. Espcially since he LOOKS eeriely like The negotiater...

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    1. People have last names that are the same. Kenobi isn't exlcusive.

2. Jedi mind trick can prevent anyone from putting two and two together.

14. Darth_Davi

Jul 29, 2005
    not only that, but, its just inconceivable to me that he could live on Tattooine for 20+ years, and never have to tell anyone, a stormtrooper, a merchant, a pub owner, or whoever else his last name. He is living on a planet where its quite clear that humans at least have surnames. In fact, had he merely gone by "Old Ben" it would be even more suspicious, as it would be uncommon for Tatooine. Prior to marrying Owen Lars, Beru had her own lastname, Whitesun. From this, we can extrapolate that citizens of Tatooine have both first and last names, as Beru not only has a lastname of Lars, taken from Owen, but she also had a maiden lastname as well. If Ben wanted to blend in with the locals, he would need to keep his last name, or make up a different one. This however, is unlikely, as that would raise questions why Luke didn't question the last name as Kenobi. If the rest of Tatooine knew him as Ben Smith, then Luke would wonder why he and his uncle and aunt called him Kenobi...So, we apply the K.I.S.S. method to our logic. (Keep It Simple, Stupid) Luke knew his last name as Kenobi because thats what Ben used as his lastname, DUH.

15. Dark_Faith

Jan 30, 2004
    Then Obi Wan is an idiot man child. That answers this thread.

16. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Not really. Ben keeping his last name of Kenobi makes sense as he'd want some way for Luke to connect him to Obi-Wan Kenobi. He's also got the Jedi Mind Trick on the off chance that any Stormtroopers feel like investigating an old hermit who does little but go to town to buy supplies.

17. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    LOL! What excuse can I come with? None really. The Jedi are stupid and get things wrong constantly throughout the PT. What more can I say? [face_laugh]

18. Darth_Davi

Jul 29, 2005
    But, they were hiding on one of two planets Vader would try to never have to set foot on ever again. (the other being Naboo) Both planets hold nothing but bad memories for Darth Vader, as they are reminders of his past life as Anakin Skywalker. Plus, I am not even going to mention the OBVIOUS, Vader and Palpatine both thought the kids died with Padme. They had no reason to suspect otherwise, until after Luke left Tatooine. Keep in mind, Bail Organa kept Leia in the public eye too, and was never found out. Leia was a politician, right out in the open, right in front of Vader and Palpatine's nose. Again, they had no reason to question her parentage. I don't think its known if the Empire knew Leia was adopted or not (she obviously did, per ROTJ) but, either way, they didn't care. If they didn't figure out anything was up with that, with Leia right in front of their face, they aren't gonna notice a poor farmboy on a backwater planet that nobody in the galaxy cares about, and a planet that the one guy that MIGHT care refuses to ever set foot on again...

Let me put this simply. You have a treasure chest. You are trying to keep me from figuring out that you have a treasure chest. You know that I can't swim, and won't go near water, but otherwise, I am fearless, and will go anywhere. Where do you hide your treasure chest? In the water, DUH. Because even if I knew you had a treasure chest, I wouldn't look for it there, because I can't swim.

Plus, who better to raise Luke, than his actual family? the Lars were his only non-Sith Lord family, even if its only by marriage. Luke BELONGED there.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    He's an idiot because his plan worked? Let's review.

1. For twenty years, no one on Tatooine gave two ***** about Ben Kenobi.

2. For twenty years, no one knew that Luke Skywalker was the son of Anakin Skywalker.

3. Darth Vader never sets foot on Tatooine.

4. Luke Skywalker becomes a Jedi, Darth Vader comes back from the dark side, Darth Sidious is killed, the Empire falls and the Jedi will be reborn.

Oh yeah. He's a real idiot. :rolleyes:

20. Dark_Faith

Jan 30, 2004
    I know how the STORY PLAYS OUT. Thats the point. Its a flaw in the storytelling.

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    How is it flawed?

22. Sinnion

Sinnion Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2006
    I concur, how?

23. Dark_Faith

Jan 30, 2004
    Because Obi Wan would surely have been disocvered if it was real.

24. Sinnion

Sinnion Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2006
    Referring to Star Wars in terms of real is just unreal.

25. Dark_Faith

Jan 30, 2004
    Not really. The universe has a basis in reality. I mean its not like a flying unicorn can just come out of nowhere and dissappear in the middle fo the movie. It has a logic. Even the force has a logic explantion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.