main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Seeing movies through the eyes of a kid....

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Leoluca Randisi, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Sometimes we forget who these star wars movies are really meant for and that if we could all transport ourselves to age 10 we would love all films we see, my nephew is just like this when we watch films really animated and excited. my nephew is 10 years old he gets what its all about having fun may be we should too...

2. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Yup, it's all about the children! :_|:_|:_|

Seriously, one of the best things about Star Wars is its universal appeal. A lot of the best forms of entertainment are for the entire family.

3. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Oh I get the Family aspect to it! But Lucas had a vision back in the 1970's and it was mostly aimed at kids most of the kids that were in the cinema in 1977 are now all adults and some of us but not all of us have become jaded Like The Comic Book Store Guy,
    [​IMG]

4. Akane

Akane Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2018
    Well, a few months ago I saw that my twelve-year-old cousin was playing star wars: galaxy of heroes on his dad's cell phone, he told me that he liked TFA and had not yet seen TLJ. I asked him what his favorite character was and he replied that Kylo Ren, I honestly believe that is the only name he knew. Something that surprised me is that even though he has never seen any of the original movies he was very excited about Luke's character.

5. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  6. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    What we do as adults, and I do that as well, is to 1) overanalyze Star Wars and 2) be too attached to Star Wars.

Maybe kids are able to see Star Wars with unbiased eyes. We as adults cannot do that anymore.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There are a lot of aspects of Star Wars that I appreciate more as an adult, but I enjoyed acting out Star Wars scenes on the playground as a kid (old-school jungle gyms make great Death Stars), and watching kids reenact it now—that said, my kids are growing up and I haven’t seen too much playground reenacting since TCW era.

8. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    One interesting thing I've noticed is that my daughters (ages 6 and 8) don't see Star Wars in terms of the OT, the PT, and the ST.

To them, Star Wars is ten movies: Numbers One to Eight, Rogue One, and Solo.

They of course recognize that I to III are Anakin's story, IV to VI are Luke's story, and VII and VIII are Rey's story. But we longtime, adult fans bring with us lot of baggage that goes far beyond that.

They trying don't see any real differences between trilogies other than that.

9. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    There are times when watching TFA and TLJ, where I ask myself how would my childhood self like this movie?

So for me, I was six years old when the special editions were released and loved them. Despite not being able to keep up with the trade/politics as a kid in TPM (it seriously confused me), while it didn't feel like SW to me compared to the originals, there were awesome parts in it. I wanted to be a Jedi so badly after seeing the Duel of Fates battle.

So if TFA came out around that time period, let's say after I see RotJ, I would be questioning why Luke isn't here to save his friends. But I would love pretty much everything else that came out of the TFA. I would also notice the redundancy in Death Stars, but would find Star Killer base to be an amazing feat. I feel like though, even at 6, I could point out the retread of ANH. Maybe I am wrong though. I think I would see Kylo more as a cool villain as well.

With TLJ, following seeing the OT in theaters at 6 years old, I would question how Luke became the grumpy old man he is. I would find his explanation and the hut scenes more believable. I would enjoy the space scenes, probably get bored in the middle of the movie, until the throne room scene and get excited for the return of Luke Skywalker. Only to be let down and shocked that he vanished as a force ghost at the end of the movie.

So honestly, I don't think there is too much difference between me now, and me potentially back in the day as a child. Though the more I think bout it, the kid me would probably think that Snoke and Kylo stand out as sore thumbs as cheap clones to Palps and Vader.

Jediking97 likes this.
  10. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    When Kylo pierces through Luke's heart, and he just stays there looking at Kylo like it was nothing, my 6-year old version would have thought that was the coolest thing in the world.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  11. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Man... How could you not watch that and be taken back to watching Star Wars with mom or dad again? That was so great. Star Wars really is for kids about his age more than anyone else. They still work on us but when you aren't focusing on all the little details and logistics as much and are just watching it the way that kid was... it's childhood at its best. And part of why we keep watching is because of how much those Star Wars experiences we had as kids with our own families meant to us.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  12. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    So we can post videos of parents talking about their kid's reactions? Because I've seen a few... ┐( ̄ヮ ̄)┌

13. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    There’s absolutely been some parents online who are using their kids to further their own anger for the movie. Reminds me of the parents who put their kids in jerseys following players leaving to new places and ask them coached questions as they cry for laughs.

Easy to spot the ones that are parent coached or forced or are real reactions to events unfiltered.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  14. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    MOD EDIT: Nope

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2018
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Take this timeout to rethink your posting style because if you think you're helping make this forum less toxic you are mistaken.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  16. Jediking97

Jediking97 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2018
    What if you're like 25 years old and you understand the ST just as that kid does? Can I say you have the heart of a child? [face_love]

Leoluca Randisi and Revanfan1 like this.
  17. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I clearly remember taking my 6 & 8 yo sons to TLJ & they were on the edge of their seats & kept saying what a great movie it was.....you see they don't analyse it the way an adult does or young teens for that matter - they see a great action movie with space battles , light sabres & fascinating creatures ....which incidentally a lot of adults saw hence the $1.32 billion worldwide gross........

Leoluca Randisi and Jediking97 like this.
  18. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    There are definitely more adult themes and plotlines in the Disney era than before, but I think kids can still enjoy them.

I don't think kids play SW games on the playground as much because of this being a new era where plastic action figures and sticks pulled off of trees for light sabers take a back seat to electronic media and other modern "toys." This is kind of a shame, because it demands less playful creativity for kids; I think that was in many ways a more healthy way to grow up that promoted growth in play. It is also a less focused era for kids; we honed our SW games down to a science, whereas now there is so much new all of the time, kids don't focus very long on any particular thing because there is always something new coming along to pull their attention away.

Anyway, enough of how different it was when I was a kid....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  19. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    A Big reason kids don't go out and play Star Wars Is there all hooked up to electronical Devices like Computers, Cell Phones/Smart Phones and Tablets My nephew who is now 10 years old spends most of his summer days Gaming on his Laptop and talking to friends on the phone. he Is quite the Popular Kid but he loves every star wars movie he sees for that matter he loves every movie he sees. Over the spring he saw Pacific Rim 2 and Loved It and He Loved Rampage!

20. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    In that vid three things stuck out:

1. Luke chucks lightsaber. Kid's reaction: (perplexed expression): "What the..?"

2. Green milking scene: Confused expression. No laughter. Obviously found it weird.

3. His comment to his dad:

"Why is luke being like this?

Haha. That's the backlash in microcosm. :p

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  21. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I didn't get that at all I got an inquisitive kid who had questions about the film but really liked it none the less. do you actually have kids or nieces and nephews that you actually see often and hang out with? My nephew who is 10 lived with me his whole life still does. that kid is my nephew exactly! I mean his reaction. you know you can like a film and not like a few scenes in the movie I mean that is possible.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  22. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    I'm just joking. Emoticon for emphasis.

Kid seemed to enjoy it. I wish he and and dad many more years of enjoying sharing SW together.