main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senority & Newbies

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by freak-pudding, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    Everybody has said some very good things here, so that only leaves me to reiterate and give some advice.

When I joined in '01, I had just turned fourteen and I estimated it to be very hard to ?break through? into JC. Well it was, except I met two very nice people and they guided me through everything. They read my work and I read theirs. A little bit later, I got AIM, met some more people and started writing. Back then my base was Ani/Ami, and this was pre-AOTC so we were all trying to predict what would happen in the impending movies. I can?t really remember what the ?popular thing? was back then, but the boards had a different mood to them. I started before the Writers? Resource was created (doesn?t seem that long ago!) and everything was very close-knit. Naturally this community knew each other, and for a newbie to want to butt into that family, it took time. I was actually surprised at how it happened. For the first two months, I started my first A/A story and must have read all the prequel fics on the boards. It wasn?t until I released two or three vignettes and my second story, until I really felt involved in the boards. I befriended a lot of people, got another beta-reader (Mar), and continually wrote. About half a year ago I released my third story, which was immensely popular, but it turned into flop because I couldn?t write it anymore. More than anything I was disappointed because I knew I was letting the readers down, and since they took the time to reply, it was my responsibility to supply them with something.

As Arldetta said, readership has dripped to a low. The best time to post would be Summer, as more people are circulating around the boards and have time to read more than one piece. I recently started my fourth piece, and I?m happy at how it?s planning out. Only about half of the readers are attracted because of what I?ve done in the past, or are members of my handmaiden group (see my sig).

Regardless of your age, it is very hard to get noticed. I have to admit it?s not as hard as it was. There are social circles around the place where you join, chat with those people everyday, and they look out for your work. If you?d like to meet the handmaiden group sometimes, try my s/n (Darth Aleiana) on AIM. I?d be happy to introduce you to the girls.

In the past, I have met some users who have been quite pompous toward new people. Unfortunately, there are people like that everywhere. The good news is there are users who are ready to embrace your writing and welcome you with open arms. I?m sorry that you have met some users which give all of us a bad name.

LP, what a dangerous threesome you mentioned. We?re frightening.

Flaws, eh, Mar? I love you, too, Padawan. I suddenly feel like Obi-Wan :D.

Am [face_love]

2. Kyp_side_of_TheForce

Kyp_side_of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    I have no experience what so ever with this whole 'seniority' thing. i think I'm a newbie... but I get readers, as others have said, because I read and am massively addicted to other people's fics.
    I don't look for specific people only... I won't deny that if one of my favorite writers starts a new fic, I will go crazy/happy even if it is outside th catagory I generally read. But if any new K/J fic pops up, I will read it if I see it.
    And then there's how, when I am bored, I will just start reading random fics... so no, I don't think there is much issues with seniority and newbieism.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.