main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Sequel to the Sequel trilogy coming?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by chris hayes, Feb 12, 2022.

1. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Of course, but what Filoni is currently doing is quite on the nose. It isn't particularly subtle. So whilst we don't yet know the extent of how Filoni's film will reflect that influence from the EU, his film (and that particular era) is the mechanism by which they can fix some of the big narrative issues with the ST, and open up opportunities with the post ST era i.e. the new film.

Well of course it was Starkiller that fed into the concept of Vader having an apprentice, and this has bled into the concept of Inquistors i.e. other darkside force users that report directly into Vader. So that idea permeated, although we didn't get the character himself.

'Offended' in that you don't seem to like the principle of the ST being re-contexualised regardless of what positive outcome that may bring.

Just because some section of the fanbase rediscovered the PT, reassesed it and were more positive, does not mean the same will happen to the ST (as if that were the case there would be no films where there was a consensus of them being poor). However, both the Filoni film and the sequel to the sequel have the ability to recontextualise the ST. And from that *may* come a bit of redemption. Or if the new film is demonstrably worse than the ST (which I hope isbn the case).

Last edited: May 24, 2023
    2Cleva likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    TCW did *a lot* to redeem the PT, made Anakin more fun and focused more on his and Obi-Wan’s friendship for one. Some episodes even showed him and Padme in a supportive and stable relationship.

If a show did the same for the ST by, say, giving Kylo Ren an actual tragedy in his past, it could do a lot for the ST.

3. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Does anyone even rewatch the ST? I can't see any reason to.

Maybe the sequel to the ST will have enough substance to make it a part of my official canon:

1. The PT
    2. The Clone Wars/Tales of the Jedi/Bad Batch
    3. Rogue One
    4. Rebels
    5. The OT
    6. Mandoverse
    7. And maybe the ST to the ST
    *I've also omitted Solo from my canon; it serves absolutely zero purpose and adds zero value to the franchise.

The ST really is pretty much skippable. Especially if the ST-ST focuses purely on its own conflicts unrelated to the ST, then it could be a great boon to the franchise.

I think it's especially important to completely ignore Palpatine's resurrection because of the terrible effects that has on the first six films. The ST-ST doesn't have to mention that at all even if they play around with the idea that Rey is a Palpatine.

Last edited: May 25, 2023
  4. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I don't see that much that was improved by TCW, to me. Anakin was made more generic.

Irredeemable Fanboy and Sarge like this.
  5. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I've tried several times to get through the ST films... I can't get beyond Rey and Finn taking off in the Falcon (TFA). Can't get beyond the initial scenes on Ahch-To (TLJ). Can't get beyond the Mustafar scene (TROS)... and that's only out of morbid curiosity.

As much as I like the TCWC, I do agree with your point that Anakin is a more generic kind of hero in it i.e. he's less 'dark', and he's portrayed as being softer and a little less emotionally immature. I expect that this is what probably makes him a bit more accessible to others, but he's also a less edgier character for it IMO.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That’s why I like his portrayal. His fall to the dark side is supposed to be tragic, not anticipated because he was never heroic and always an emo edgelord ***hole.

7. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Well Anakin's fall is the culmination of lots of elements. It doesn't come out of nowhere, and (IMO) he was never the 'emo' that Kylo Ren was. Anakin's fall is tragic because he wasn't an innately 'bad' person... and lots of things, which were beyond his control, led to that moment where he ultimately chose the darksdie e.g. being taken from his mother, the loss of his mentor Qui-Gon, the murder of his mother etc. etc. Anakin was an emotionally complex guy... that's what makes him very interesting in my opinion, and which is why I think more fans respond to him now than perhaps they did back in the day. I do agree that Anakin is a more accessible character in TCWC, but without the Anakin in the films, he loses pretty much all his complexity that makes him a compelling and tragic figure.

LedReader and Watcherwithin like this.
  8. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    All of the time.

9. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I've watched TLJ the most of any of the Disney films. TROS, on the other hand, I’ve seen once while TFA maybe three times at most but it’s my least favorite of all SW films. Really speaks to how I don’t view the ST as a single cohesive story.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  10. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    His fall to the dark side is supposed to be natural. You can't sell a generic hero, to me, as that meaningful of a character in this context. He's more Han and less Luke, which isn't great, in my opinion. Some may think what they did in the movies may not be "tragic" enough for them, but he had far more personality that makes him who he is. Some of those aspects are in TCW, but his vulnerability, his emotion, his unease, his "edgy"-ness says more about his villainy, than being a generic hero. Villains don't come out of nowhere. Making him a generic hero only takes away from his villainous turn, as far as I'm concerned. The only real fully connected aspects of his character that really directly work in TCW as far as I think is seeing more of Palpatine play him and, kinda, see him be more and more easily resorting to more colder murderous angles. From what I remember seeing, Ahsoka and Obi's friendships have some moments, but they also can serve to highlight how un-Anakin he is, to me. His relationship with Obi lacks the nuance of the frustrated brother dynamic AOTC gave it more often than not, to me (because they're on more solid ground in ROTS, I could see an arc where we see them get to their more calm brotherly dynamic but I don't remember the show doing that). There's something to the idea of his relationship with Ahsoka, but I feel like Anakin's not complicated enough, not vulnerable enough, to fully explore that as I'd like. Basically I'd have to assume Anakin's hiding a lot of his conflicts to try and seem in control in order for him to work in that show, for me (which again, I think could be consistent with how I view the character, but I'm neither entirely sure that was the idea behind it and I think the show may not have showcases enough of that for my taste, though I think it may have it's moments). It's a shame too, because I think there could be a legit solid story of these things.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
  11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    See, I don’t like “complicated,” “vulnerable”, “complex” or “edgy.” If I am going to feel sad about someone making bad choices, I actually need to like the person in the first place. I really dislike “edgy,” and my experience with the word “complicated” when used to describe a character translates to ‘this character is so awful that you would steer clear of them in real life but here you aren’t supposed to think the character is awful because [excuses].’ I did not feel that way about Anakin most of the time, but there were several scenes when I thought he needed to be given a long time out, not an ‘awww you’re so complex’.

I wanted to see Anakin and Obi-Wan being friends, and we only got that during the AOTC speeder chase scene and in the early scenes of ROTS (which I loved, despite hating the movie after the 45 minute mark or so). We got quite a bit of that in TCW though—the show was recommended to me for that reason.

He is supposed to be heroic. He is not supposed to be a villain yet, so I see no point in making him villainous. TCW does a good job in showing how his impatience and short temper led him to make unorthodox decision so it’s not like his turn to the dark side ‘came out of nowhere’.

If he was always supposed to be an ***hole underneath—then who cares if he turned or got redeemed?

12. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014

Anakin was far from flawless in The Clone Wars. The series also showed how those flaws could successfully fit in with being a Jedi.

Remember in Voyage of Temptation a Mandalorian politician is menacing Obi-Wan and Satine threatening to trigger explosives on the ship to blowup. Anakin sneaks up and stabs him dead through the back with his lightsaber. Problem solved.

It’s this ‘Oh Anakin’ moment that is genuinely darkly funny while being in character and on mission with the Jedi.

We see a lot of that from Anakin on the Clone Wars and moments when he steps over the line and goes too far. But those are usually in more private moments or around more personal matters.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I tend to think that TCW Anakin leaned mildly more towards the “hero” part of “fallen hero” in his descriptor, while the PT Anakin was, to its credit in terms of clarity and as a character drama, more “going-to-fall anti-hero” with him.

Still, if one my favorite moments of both are when the lines are blurred - ROTS’s Anakin on the very first part is nicely matured and nuanced in his flaws while still being clearly heroic and likable, much like Anakin during the “Obi-Wan Undercover” story in TCW, even though the TCW story was more about positioning Anakin’s flaws front and center as an antagonist.

When it comes to Kylo/Ben in comparison to Anakin, though, I think there’s some tricky things that LFL will end up having to address if they ever want to get more usage out of the character, and that LFL’s track record with him is spotty at best because they tripped over those tricky elements.

The biggest problem is rather simple: you can’t convince people to relate to Ben Solo as he currently is and was because of how self-centered and evil killing Han for power is, arguably especially in comparison to Anakin pre-Vader, and the current formula arguably requires denigrating and dismissing our heroes to some extent. Much of the feud between Kylo/Ben’s most fervent fanbase (and the fanbase for TLJ) with the more recently embittered part of the fanbase comes from giving him a double standard of “expected audience sympathy.” He’s actually kind of a bad analogue to Anakin because of context and substance right now, and they need to change that.

People can get “crimes of passion” more than they can get “coldly sacrificing a loved one for power;” people can get being possessive of a loved one out of fear of losing them more than they can objectifying everyone all the time; people can sympathize with poor decision making emerging from emotional trauma and deprivation, but often have a visceral response to privilege leading too entitlement.

TFA hit a sweet spot for *more* people with regards to Kylo because him being loathsome form many (even most) perspectives was still an intentional part of the formula alongside the other elements, even if other people felt they connected *deeper* with Kylo in TLJ because there was a monomaniacal focus on him being moody and feeling victimized; I think even most critics of the ST get the idea that an angsty young man who feels betrayed can emotionally capture some people’s teenage experience, but I think that seeing that as being the only thing about the character misses how his substance is far nastier and far less relatable.

Anakin, in contrast, has his genesis for evil born in losing loved ones and in being given massive responsibilities that include significant self-denial - we can all get that ugliness.

(Plus… many people don’t have moody melodramatic teenage years rife with rebellion, so some of us were never going to connect with that idea for Kylo.)

What Ben Solo needs is LFL understanding he’s not a naturally likable compelling character even compared to the first run through on PT-era Anakin… yet.

He needs a hell of a lot more than he has, and arguably more than Anakin needed even conceptually before the PT.

14. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Honestly?

15. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    And if their character's fall, in the way Anakin falls, is to be consistent and honest, I think he can't be "likable" in the way you want. It's about character, not "likability". To me, it's more important that everything about his villainy make sense in accordance with his emotional state than it is that I like him. Vader isn't some poor misunderstood hero who thinks he can help the people if he gains more power. He's a selfish person who justifies his power hunger with the idea that he can bring order with it and get what he wants. Why should it matter if I'd hang with him or not in real life?
    To me, Kylo is partially what you get when you just take the lack of complexity of TCW Anakin and try to play it as if that's a natural structure for Vader.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Why would I be invested in whether a character turns to the Dark Side, or find that turn tragic, if I can’t stand him?

After the PT there were many people who enjoyed seeing Anakin catch on fire on Mustafar, which I am sure was not the way Lucas wanted us to react, Anakin’s fall is supposed to be tragic, but it is the way the audience is going to react when the character is not likable. TCW Anakin remedied some of that.

Kylo had a similar problem but magnified, because there was no real tragedy or trauma in his past like Anakin had, and he was not TCW Anakin at all, he was not even PT Anakin in the scenes where he was likable. He was PT Anakin at his most annoying and melodramatic—and we in the audience were told by the narrative that we are terrible people if we don’t view him as sympathetic and tragic and root for his redemption.

17. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    I was amicable with the character. A lot of what he did made sense for his character, to me. Though there are improvements that I think could be made. None of which is making him a jocky, lacking a lot of vulnerability, generic hero type.

Considering I think the point was to see Anakin's punishment, I'm compelled by his being set on fire on Mustafar. Yes I think it's emotional, in regards to the character's situation, but I still think it's compelling to watch him lose everything as a result of his own actions.

If you take out the only elements that connect TCW Anakin to the real movies version of the character, I think you'd basically have the same amount of depth as a villain Kylo has, in a similar role.

Last edited: May 27, 2023
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m not talking about being “compelled.” I’m talking about reacting along the lines of ‘Seeing that whiny creep fry made my day. Now where’s my barbecue sauce?’ That was a real comment on this site at the time.

I am pretty sure that is not how Lucas wanted us to react—pretty sure he wanted us to actually care that Anakin lost everything and feel bad for ‘what could have been.’ TCW gave us that.

19. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    Yes. I love them. Don't be jealous :)

20. Darth_Cruiser

Darth_Cruiser Jedi Padawan

May 4, 2022
    A character going to the dark side needs to be complex though. A nice likeable fellow making bad choices won't make much sense in the first place. They need to have certain edginess and show some bad signs from the beginning itself.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    A nice likeable fellow can absolutely be driven to make bad choices under the circumstances that Anakin found himself in—traumatized by enslavement, the murder of his mother, and war—and in his desperate fear of loss, accelerated by visions of his wife dying in childbirth, finds himself making a deal with the proverbial devil—and not even realizing what he has gotten himself into until it is too late to undo the horror he committed. That is the tragedy. And it makes perfect sense.

If he is annoying as hell “edgy” and “complex” and people just want him to get the hell of the screen—why would anyone care about his trauma? His fear of loss? Why would anyone root for him not to make those terrible choices? Why woudl anyone root for anything other than the credits to roll?

I didn’t care about Kylo being redeemed in the ST because I just wanted him off the screen. I didn’t feel that way about Anakin because I was able to focus on the speeder chase scene, the dinner scene, and the opening scenes of ROTS—the scenes in which he was most like his TCW character. But many people viewed Anakin in the PT the same way I view Kylo. They did not care how or when he turned dark, they just wanted him to go away.

HanSolo29 , Sarge and BlackRanger like this.
  22. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    It’s a balancing act dependent on your goals for both before and after the fall: sometimes, you mostly just want a more complex but still loathsome villain; sometimes you want a tragic story of a beloved hero failing and falling; sometimes, you want to shock the audience by revealing how base and despicable a character is when deprived of their most cherished possession.

Anakin required a past and a fall that would be worthy of both the heroic best friend Obi-Wan had and the monster that was Vader. Lucas eventually coming around to encapsulating his heroism, his fall, and his eventual redemption all on a sliding scale of transcendent selfless love and paranoid possessiveness of his loved ones clarified things a lot… but still left the details to struggle with.

In comparison, any future material with Ben Solo is likely going to have to generate a way around how self-absorbed he is in the ST; Vader’s “exceptionalism” towards Luke allowed them to extrapolate a more sympathetic love/obsession motivation for him, but Kylo kills Han as though he’s being “liberated” from regarding Han even possessive obsession, and in general, Driver keyed in on how the character was self-obsessed for much of his psychology, even if LFL didn’t… though someone like Charles Soule imitating that self-obsession and inability to regard others as people in his comics both for the character and for the plot, and the films’ version of Reylo in general, provides a worrying sign of LFL having internalized the Kylo-centric viewpoint behind the character’s villainy.

It’s why I still think having Ben Solo get a little “Winter Soldier-ed” is more likely to make him tolerable and engaging to the larger fanbase. While there are several fans who can tolerate and enjoy Han and Leia having a one-direction love for their son that he doesn’t really reciprocate, even conceptually it’s hard for many other to like a character who doesn’t return their parents’ love, let alone when the audience member already likes the parents.

So honestly, not tying his fall into any personality issues or preferences when he’s younger and supposed to be likeable, and instead having some event traumatize him and disconnect him from reality, would work better.

Last edited: May 28, 2023
  23. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    I think nice "likable" fellow cannot realistically make the choices Vader makes.

I think you don't have to "like" someone to sympathize with their past.

Last edited: May 27, 2023
  24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If I don’t like someone, I am not going to be invested in their fate at all, past or present.

And I explained earlier how a likable hero could easily make the choices that Anakin made in ROTS, given the circumstances.

One reason I did not care about Kylo’s redemption is…what was he going to be redeemed to? An arrogant ***hole who was less homicidal (what he was in the Soule comics)? Why am I supposed to care about that?

Anakin being annoying “complex” and “edgy” had the same effect on some people in the PT. It detracted from the power of Vader’s redemption for them. And that’s sad—that moment at the end of ROTJ is sacrificed because some viewers and writers think a heroic guy is “boring” and they need a Hot Topic edgelord on steroids for “excitement”. And any investment in Kylo’s redemption is sacrificed for the same reason.

25. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    [face_dancing]