main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Sequels/Spinoffs/Reboots/Remakes

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    FTFY :p

2. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Blade Runner 2049

3. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Sadly, as a huge Blade Runner fan, I have to admit I have yet to see the sequel. But at least I have an excuse, mainly the lack of movie theaters anywhere near where I live (Spain, and in a very remote area at that.), let alone theaters that show original language versions. Nowadays of course Covid has made going to a movie theater impossible, at least here.
    Sure, I could possibly find it streaming somewhere on the web, but I avoid watching movies on the computer if I can. If I really want to enjoy a movie I need to have a reasonably large screen plus 5 channel audio system with acceptable bass, meaning I need to feel my sofa vibrate during explosions etc. Unfortunately I no longer have that. I'd rather not see a movie than see it under inferior circumstances.[face_dunno]
    So, is Blade Runner 2049 actually any good? I have read lots of negative stuff about it.
    Meaning?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  4. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I personally found it brilliant. It's finely made, it works well as stand-alone but it doesn't disrespect the original either.
    It was a flop in the theaters -probably due to the slow pacing- but I believe that history will be on its side.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  5. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  6. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Personally slow pacing doesn't bother me in the least, on the contrary. In fact I prefer a solid story, believable characters, good visuals etc. to a nonstop action movie. There is a reason why movies like 2001 and Blade Runner, even Alien (all considered slow-paced by today's standards) are among the best sci-fi movies ever made. Those will be remembered for a long time while Transformers or similar movies will be forgotten in a few years, if they are not already.

3sm1r likes this.
  7. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
  8. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Hollywood has certainly run out of ideas. Nowadays all we get is remakes, reboots or sequels. Not much originality to be found anymore. It's not that there aren't enough good stories around.
    There are still so many great novels and stories that Hollywood has never touched. Some examples that come to mind are Catcher in the Rye, the Dune books after Children of Dune, Stephen King's Duma Key, Cell, Lisey's Story, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, as well as tons of his short stories, Clive Barker's Imajica, Weaveworld, Coldheart Canyon, and again some of the Books of Blood short stories, just to name a few. Arthur C. Clarke's 2001 saga after 2010 would also make nice sci-fi movies if done right, although they aren't exactly based on the respective previous ones. But that worked well enough for the Evil Dead "trilogy" too. Anyway, the ideas are there. Someone just needs to be brave enough to make them into good movies.

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The remake of Last of the Mohicans was awe-inspiring, better than both the original movie and the book.

10. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    It's one of the all time great movies.

Heat, Last of, and Fight Club are the movies that define Men in the Movies for the 1990s

11. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I'm not against remakes per se . But Disney's Pinocchio is one of the greatest movies ever , the finest cel animated feature . There's no need to do a live action version . I've seen some of the others they've done and they're crap

12. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Like this?

[​IMG]

;)

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I don't know, I mean if anybody could pull off a live - action Geppetto, it would probably be Tom Hanks.

PCCViking likes this.
  14. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I forget most Avengers movies as soon as I'm out of the theater.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Hanks does not do his best work when saddled with an accent.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  16. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I finally got around to watching the live action Aladdin. It is soooooo awful.

3sm1r and Princess_Tina like this.
  17. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Honestly, Tom Hanks with an over-the-top Italian accent would be the only reason to see this.

Juliet316 and Princess_Tina like this.
  18. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Are you thinking of The Terminal?

19. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Can't be any worse than Dick Van Dyke's "Cockney" accent. :p

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    That's a good example. The Ladykillers is another one. And, dare I say it, I think he's dreadful in Forrest Gump.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  21. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

[​IMG]

Juliet316 and Princess_Tina like this.
  22. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    The only book in that list that I've read is "Catcher in the Rye". I read it in high school, and utterly hated it. It was one of the reasons I ditched the Honors track in English, thus I can't be objective as to its possible value as a movie. In any case, I understand the Salinger estate, as per his wishes, will never allow it to be filmed.

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  24. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    VexedAtVohai, Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  25. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Now I have an urge for Forrest Gump 2.