main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Serial. Listen to it.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue_Ten, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    if you're not listening to Serial... you pretty much need to cut that out and listen to Serial

it's a podcast from the people behind NPR's This American Life, except instead of a few short entertaining stories, it's one long engrossing story that unfolds every week over the course of a season. this first season, currently up to episode 4 (you have to listen to it in order!!), is the true story of the 1999 murder of Hae-Min Lee, allegedly at the hands of her ex-boyfriend Adnan Syed, both high school students at the time in Baltimore. Adnan is currently serving a life sentence, based on the testimony of one of his closest friends but in spite of a complete lack of physical evidence tying him to the crime. it's a completely fascinating study in the slippery notion of "the Truth" and the fickle nature of memory and star-crossed lovers defying their families... basically all the themes that any great text has drawn on from time immemorial... in podcast form. i cannot recommend it enough

here is episode 1

Bacon164 and PRENNTACULAR like this.
  2. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    There's a podcast thread.

Ender Sai likes this.
  3. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I listened to episode 1 two weeks ago without knowing what it was (thinking it was TAL). Sooooo good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AaylaSecurOWNED likes this.
  4. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

maybe we're at the point, THE MOMENT IN HISTORY, where podcasting has transcended the ghetto of the dedicated thread? maybe, just maybe, a wildly popular podcast produced by professional radio people (and this is both) can support its own thread?

Barbecue17 likes this.
  5. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    If that were the case there would be a Comedy Bing Bong thread already.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  6. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

i listened to episode 1 today from their Serial direct stream (it was recommended to me by listeners of another podcast i like) and it sounded like they put episode 1 on TAL maybe in place of the regularly scheduled programming to help build a listener base for the spin-off podcast

7. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

i dont know what that is

Uhh Yeah Dude is the only comedy podcast worth your time. i say this with some certainty and having dated a comedy podcast co-host

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    [​IMG]

Coruscant likes this.
  9. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Comedy Bang Bang? You don't know what that is.

Uhh Yeah Dude is top notch.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  10. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    you said comedy bing bong :p

i have heard the name. it sounds like nerd ****, like jordan jesse go

11. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Are you serial?

12. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Well, you should check out the TV show, anyway. Reggie Watts co-hosts (the show, not the podcast--he makes infrequent guest appearances though).

I said Comedy Bing Bong because the host, Scott Aukerman, often does, among other things.

It's not nerd.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  13. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i dunno one of the top five results for "scott aukerman" on google is a picture of him playing a flute with teh title "HOW TO TURN AWKWARD INTO AWESOME"

looks pretty nerd to me :p

14. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    like im not sure if any of this is getting typed or posted correctly because my eyes are currently lodged in the back of my head, nawmean?

15. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Sorry. Scott is definitely a nerd. The podcast is not about nerd culture or anything specifically.

He was a writer on Mr. Show, if that's what you're into.

16. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    mr show is a thing that i respect for its importance to comedy history but really cant be arsed to watch beyond a clip here and there. its basically like the three stooges

17. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Anyway, listening to Serial now. I saw it in the store earlier this week but I didn't know what it was.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  18. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i am appeased

19. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    episode three starting to fill in the scenery a bit

[​IMG]

20. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I listened to all 4 last night. Couldn't stop. MORE NAOW

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  21. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i got caught up while commuting this morning. next episode comes out thursday. interestingly, they apparently dont currently know how long they're going to follow this story (they're still researching/writing it as they go)

22. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    So the only evidence was Jay's testimony? And they were barely acquaintances? How is it possible to sentence someone to life with no physical evidence? What about reason of doubt? This is fascinating.

23. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    it does seem shady but the fact that we're being fed the case/story piecemeal means that we have no idea what she might be leaving out/have yet to get to yet. its part of what makes it so fascinating

my crazy fringe theory is that the title of the show is a secret hint and we'll gradually be presented with a theory of the case connecting it to other cases in the area... a "serial" killer*

*this is almost certainly not going to happen and would probably be really terrible if it did

AaylaSecurOWNED likes this.
  24. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i listened to 1 and 2 last night and 3 and 4 today and the thing that sticks in my mind at this point is the thing about the guy discovering the body so soon after the murder when it was on the opposite side of the log from where he said he was and when it was supposedly really hard to spot even for the surveyor who came to look at the scene later and knew to expect a body. the **** was up with that dude?

25. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Yeah. And I wasn't paying attention or something at one point: did she interview Mr. S's brother? Did he say they grew up next to Hae?