main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Serious about writing-- ATTENTION: ALL ORIGINAL FICTION WRITERS: SF/F Wrtiers' Guild contest!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by tatooinewizard, Aug 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tatooinewizard

tatooinewizard Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2003
    I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I'm giving it a shot.

Are you a fan fic writer who's serious about your writing? Well I'm sure everyone here is completely serious and dedicated to their work, but I mean are there any of you that want to write for a living?

I'm one of those, and actually my fan fic writing is on hold at least for the moment (I still read here and participate in my own fashion)because I'm trying to focus on starting a regular writing career.

So are there are any 'extra serious' writers here? Those that want to be novelists (like me), or playrights or screen-writers, even those who might want to work in non-fiction?

I'm thinking that if this takes off we could all form a support group for those that desire to be published. That's why I wasn't sure if this belonged here.

2. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I think this would be a fine idea as long as it doesn't degenerate into a 'How do I get my Star Wars fic published?

My post in the FAQ should sum this up:

On publishing your stories:

Taken from the article 'Novel Approach' by Rich Handly,Star Wars Insider #66, spring 2003, Paizo publishing:

...So how can writer hopefuls become part of the New Jedi Order (or any other SW fiction-DB) author line up? Bottem line, they can't.

"Before folks startsending in their Star Wars Novels-the ones they've been working on for years-please know that Lucasfilm and Del Ray (or any other publishing company for that matter-DB) do not read any unsolicited manuscripts or outlines." All Star Wars novelist... are carefully selected after discussion with Del Ray; are all profesional writers with published works in the science fiction/fantasy geners, and many are award winners."

There you have it in a nutshell. There are many places for you to share your works (online, fanzines ect.) but to expect to have your work published in a paid, proffesional form is an unrealistic expectation.

Perhaps some day Lucas film might put together a collection of fan works as has been done with Star Trek, but I believe these people were also only paid in contributer copies... Write because you enjoy it, and have a story to share...

3. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I think tatooinewizard is talking about wanting to write things other than SW fan fiction and how to go though that process, but I could be wrong.

4. tatooinewizard

May 13, 2003
    MariahJade2 is right. I don't want to get my fan fiction published. Well, okay it would be nice but I know how dim of a prospect it is, and I don't even consider it.

I was talking about writing professionally in an arena other than Star Wars (or any other already established series).

I know quite a bit, I think, about the process (except how to make a publisher say something besides 'Not what we're looking for at this time'). I was just trying to make a get-together place for fan fic writers that want to get their completely original works out in the open and get paid for them.

Sorry I was unclear.

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I've always been serious about writing. Since I was in 3rd grade I've written original stuff. I write fanfic for fun, for practice, and sometimes some very serious fic becuase I want to write my own character explorations.

However, I'm almost finished with the first draft of a novel called Fiend Angelical which I would like to get published. Ultimately, I would like to be a screenwriter/director, but novel and short story writing shall continue if I have time. If not, I'll just make my original ideas into screenplays ;) I also have a short film (about 30 mins) called The Intruders that I'm writing and directing this fall.

-sj loves kevin spacey

6. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    I'm always working on my original stuff, which can cause slowness to my fanfic.

7. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    I'm also serious about writing, but not in the field of Star Wars. (At least I believe I cannot hope getting my Star Wars stories published in a book).

I'm writing "poems" (as I call them), and short stories. Currently, my short stories are about gods - a theme that arose in my mind at a time.

8. PadawanRoo

PadawanRoo Jedi Master star 1

Aug 7, 2003
    I'm very serious about the writing, to the extent that I only work on my star wars fics when I've got writer's block on what I consider my 'real' projects.

I know all the stats about moving from fanfiction into the EU, so I've never even bothered worrying about it. Honestly, if I ever make it as an author, I'd feel like a cheat if it were through anything other than my original work. Writing is my life. I spend at least one hour a day, come hell, high water, or finals on my original works, and two hours on sunday- one writing, one preparing manuscripts to mail out and researching publishers. Fanfiction for me is just sort of a diversion.

9. Angel_of_Sith

Angel_of_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 10, 2002
    I've been writing short stories and poems since a very earlly age. I would consider a career as an author, but I doubt anything will come of it. Maybe I'll have one or two novels published, but nothing major.

. . gay fanfic forever . .

10. Deneveon

Deneveon Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I'm very serious about writing. I've already completed a rough draft of an original science fiction novel and I'm about to start revising it. Actually, writing fan fiction has taken a backseat in my life lately.

I hope to major in Journalism in college, and maybe one day become a published author. I've already written several short stories which haven't been published, and if I get around to it I might consider send it off to a publisher... but for now my studies are overtaking all the free time I have...

11. Jaded Skywalker

Jaded Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 1999
    I'm writing the new great American novel. Kidding! :p

It's my goal to achieve a few of my dreams- and writing is one of them. Whether I get published or not, I will always keep on writing.

Though, royalities for my dream wouldn't hurt at all. ;)

12. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I knew this thread existed, but it took me forever to find it! :p

I do have aspirations of being published one day. This past year I had set aside some time to work on an original novel, but I sorta got sidetracked by fan fic in the process. :p This coming year I want to set concrete goals for myself to get one finished, and start to really learn the process of how one gets published. I have no illusions that I'll get published soon, but if I don't start the process it definitely won't happen.

Since this started as a support thread, maybe we could sort of do the same thing, like set goals and support each other, share advice. I thought it might even work if we could form a sort of Writer's group, where we would share short excerpts of our original stuff to get some serious feedback. I know some people might feel a bit uncomfortable letting their original stuff out on the web, so maybe those interested could share their email addresses instead? Or by PM, perhaps.

Anyway. Any thoughts? :)

13. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Count me in. I could use a support group to help me stay on task and enoyong the work. My eventual goal is to write full-time: speculative and literary fiction, plus reviews and critiques.

I have a bunch of novels on the drafting board, and one half done, as well as several short stories under my belt, and most of a poetry anthology.

May I recommend to all seriously aspiring writers the very very good book On Writing, by Stephen King. The man's insight and inspiration have worked wonders for me.

I'll be bookmarking this thread! :)

*Derisa*

14. puppyglo

puppyglo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2003
    Great idea! :)

15. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    I've been working on a novel for over a year now. It is my greatest dream to be able to write for a living.

May I recommend to all seriously aspiring writers the very very good book On Writing, by Stephen King. The man's insight and inspiration have worked wonders for me.

I should check that out.

I could use a support group to help me stay on task and enoyong the work.

Sure, long as you return the favor. ;)

*dons cheerleader outfit*

16. tatooinewizard

May 13, 2003
    It's ALIVE!!!

Thanks HHP, I thought this was a good idea when I started it but the thread just pretty much sunk.

I don't think we should post our stories here because I've heard that somehow effects being able to have them published because anyone who wants to can already see it, or something to that affect.

In my writing life I've just gotten over a writer's block, and a very severe case too. I've just finished, with the exception of some editing, a short horror story that I want to try submitting it soob to a magazine called Weird Tales. I'll let you all know how it works out.

And as for Stephen King's "On Writing" I've read it twice. When it first came out and then to refresh my mind a few months ago. And I must say it's very informative and the most entertaining book I've ever read on the subject.

17. emimar

emimar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2003
    Star Wars is ok for a bit of fun and getting some writing skills, but if you're going to get your stories published, it's probably better to create your own universe. The only problem is you get so engrosed in writing Star Wars stuff that you never seem to have time for your own! I'm determined to get this out of my system before I start working on my own stuff anyway.

If there's anyone interested in writing for marvel, I was on their website the other day and they are looking for new writers. Still, you can't expect to get your stuff published though.

18. AlphaTrion-TJW

AlphaTrion-TJW Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2003
    For me (and please no one take this the wrong way) fanfic is a hobby. My original fiction is where I focus a good 99% of my attention when it comes to writing. Will I ever stop writing fanfic and focus 100% on my original fiction? Most likely, I'm really in a sort of limbo as to that right now anyway.

I started out writing original fiction and only started writing fanfic after I wrote one as a favor to a friend that was trying to get a fansite up and off the ground. After that I didn't feel like I was taking the easy way out by writing fanfic-- not that it's easy mind you, but you get the point.

Fanfic, for me at least, has become a way to testbed new styles and new techniques that I learn or want to try. It elevates (sp) the worry of trying to world build while trying to hone my skills with something new.

Plus fanfic is just fun :)

Do I want my writing career to take off? Yes I do, I had one in nonfiction (used to be a newspaper reporter), now I want one in fiction...and bartending but that's another story. Am I serious about my career? Yes, but I don't get to put as much time and effort into it as I would like-- having a family and job will do that.

But regardless of fanfic or original-fic I think anyway that has the guts to write something and put it out there for the whole world to see has to be serious aobut the craft.

19. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I'm very serious about my writing.

20. emimar

emimar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2003
    I forgot to tell you. I found this the other day.

The Writer's Bureau

I've sent off for some information from it and it doesn't matter where you live either, you don't have to mess about with currnacy conversions and all that rubbish which put me off of some I've looked at. Del Rey do something simialr as well, but I would have difficulty paying for it as it's in America.

21. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Two books that my sister-in-law recommended which you can find at the library, or purchase are the Chicago Manual of Style, and the most up to date Writers market. The first one gives you all the basics of format and grammar that the publishers are looking for and the latter is a resource for places you can send your stuff.

22. tatooinewizard

May 13, 2003
    Yes, the newest writer's market is always essential, and very helpful, and now the writer's market is being published in different divisions as well as the full one. There's one for novel and short story writers, and for children's writers, and poets, and if not mistaken screen play writers too. All put out by the same company.

23. Arriss

Arriss Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2002
    Great idea for a thread tatooinewizard ? wish I?d seen it sooner!

I?ve written a fantasy novel (w/a touch of sci-fi thrown in), which I?ve submitted to publishers, but as yet, hasn?t been accepted. As for the SW fanfic ? yes, I?ve written some and it has helped my writing immensely! Through the process of posting stories/viggy?s on these forums, I?ve learned so much about my writing that it?s amazing. I?m by no means an expert, but I plan on going back over my original novel and ?updating? it. Who knows ? maybe then a publisher will be interested. <shrug> If not, I?ve considered self-publishing as an option.

I?ll just have to see how it all play?s out. :)

Oh, and Writer?s Market is an excellent source of info for an aspiring author.

24. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    I've been slow to post on my own work because I am working on something that I hope to send to publishers by at the beginning of next year. So this is awesome.

25. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    I would love to write professionally one day. I take my writing very seriously, and try to improve on it through my fan fiction. FF has been a big help in motivating me to sit down and write, and that has always been one of my biggest obstacles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.