main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sernpidal's mayor (spoilers)?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Ludicrous, Oct 11, 1999.

1. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    None of us are the Mayor of Sernpidal, so that rules out all of the audience.

2. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    This is the Cthulhu of threads

Irredeemable Fanboy likes this.
  3. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    Actual image of The Mayor Of Sernpidalâ„¢
    [​IMG]

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  5. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    The Mayor is Legends Darth Maul. He's familiar with Han due to their work together on "Han Solo and the Pirates of Kessel", where he cameo'd as a fictional verison of himself.

6. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    Since I recently reread the Glove of Darth Vader books for the umpteenth time, it has suddenly come to me that of course the mayor Sernpidal is either Triclops or Ken and while both are totally possible canonically I now really need to figure out which I like better so I can start lobbying the Story Group.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  7. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Commander Cody anyone?

8. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Why him and not Rex? Legends Cody ended up an Imperial Stormtrooper while Canon Rex ended up with the Rebels. If Legends Rex is anything like his Canon counterpart, he'd have better chances of being familiar with Han like the Mayor was.

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    This thread has gone on long enough that whatever you guys say I can just repost my reaction from the last time it came up.

Hopeless, Outsourced, jSarek and 7 others like this.
  10. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Ken would have been 32 as of Vector Prime while the mayor was said to be elderly. Triclops would have been 43, also not elderly. Yeah, in Legends Triclops was only an 11 year old father when Ken was born. The mother, Kendalina, was a nurse caring for Triclops at the time. And the circa 18 BBY birth year for Triclops was locked in with the article https://www.starwars.com/news/barely-tolerable-alien-henchmen-of-the-empire-part-3/ that Sly Moore gave birth to Triclops during the reign of the Empire.

Maybe the article writer @Halagad_Ventor wasn't feeling sharp on his math when he wrote that, but we now have the unfortunate implications that Ken's mother, Nurse Kendalina, was engaging in some serious criminal abuse on minor Triclops :(

Even Sly Moore's timeline is wonky. Sly is said to have been dumped in the Cron Drift by Darth Maul as an infant, so she wasn't able to be found by the Jedi. However, Sly Moore was already an aide to Palpatine as of 32 BBY per the Darth Plagueis novel. Even if she were some 14 year old prodigy at this time (like Padme was), that means her infancy and imprisonment in the Cron Drift was circa 46 BBY when Darth Maul was all of... 8 years old.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  11. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    I mean given that Triclops is depicted as white-haired and somewhat older than middle-aged already in GodV (probably a legacy of the old EU idea that had the Empire much older than it eventually ended up being), and given mysssssssteerrrrrrrrious Sith science, I would presume some kind of accelerated growth is involved. If he already looked on the cusp of elderly in 5 ABY he could certainly appear properly elderly by Vector Prime, however old he actually is.

So yeah, this is canon now in my book. Of course Han would only barely recognize him (they only knew each other for a few months at best), and of course he would appear to be a normal, non-mutant human since his third eye is on the back of his head and so normally invisible. But no doubt that's what made him such an effective mayor!

Irredeemable Fanboy likes this.
  12. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I suppose it's possible Triclops received clonetrooper accelerated aging or something.

CaptainPeabody and Iron_lord like this.
  13. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Triclops is half Umbaran and all the Umbarans who have hair have white hair. Also who knows how old Kendalina was? She could've also been 11. She supposedly worked as a nurse, but that doesn't mean she went to nursing school and all that. She was basically just a prisoner on Kessel as well, but since she was specifically imprisoned in the Imperial insane asylum and she wasn't actually crazy, the officials could have made her work for them instead of just leaving her in a padded room. Either that, or we can again come back to Triclops being half Umbaran. Maybe Umbarans develop faster than humans, and an 11-year-old Umbaran having sex with an adult woman isn't weird at all because they have the emotional and physical maturity of an 18-year-old. These are sci-fi aliens we're talking about.

What's this about Sly Moore being kidnapped by Maul as an infant? I assumed she was already an adult when that happened, but I guess the Wookieepedia article implies she was younger. Does anyone have the WOTC Clone Wars Campaign Guide on hand to see what it actually says?

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I do - it doesn't say how old she was, but the term "infant" certainly wasn't used.

The Wookieepedia article presumes that her abduction was the reason she didn't end up in the Jedi Order - but the CWCG entry for her doesn't actually make any allusions to that.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  15. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Yeah I just compared the wookieepedia article with the clone wars campaign guide. Sly was kidnapped when "young" (no age specified) and by some zabrak assassin (they never said maul). unless there's another source that details this incident, i'm guessing the wookieepedia article writer did a lot of extrapolation.

Iron_lord and Daneira like this.
  16. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    The mayor is Agent Kallus. Hah! You can't repost a reaction because he's too recent of an addition!

Daneira, CaptainPeabody and sidv88 like this.
  17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999

18. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    That's just cheating.

CooperTFN likes this.
  19. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    He made a fair move. Screaming about it can't help you. :c3po:

:p

Daneira, jSarek, Riv_Shiel and 2 others like this.
  20. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    If you've read any of his writings involving Cronal and Sariss (e.g. this one), you'll know Abel didn't shy away from implying (or, in that writing, outright stating) serious criminal abuse of minors when it suited the themes he was exploring.

Mia Mesharad and Daneira like this.
  21. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I read much of the NJO back in 2002/2003 but oddly never read Vector Prime until two years ago. When reading it, I did have the same reaction that the mayor was intended to be someone and thought back to this thread.

22. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    That backstory certainly made Sariss a sympathetic, rather tragic figure, and explained how she ended up with Jerec. It was also very good at showing how perverse Blackhole really was...

ArindaRise, jSarek and Iron_lord like this.