main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Set a Course For Home." Star Trek: Voyager

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediXManSerenaKenobi, Sep 15, 2007.

1. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    Greetings! I haven't seen a thread for Voyager, and as I believe it's the best Star Trek series, I decided to post my own topic about it. I know the series ended several years ago, but I am curious to see what other people think of it compared to other ST series. They meet the coolest aliens! I LOVE species 8472. Any thoughts?

2. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    To be honest, Voyager is probably my least favorite of the various Star Trek shows. I just never really liked the crew and that turned me off from the whole show.

3. JediXManSerenaKenobi

Jul 27, 2007
    Huh, really! That's interesting. For me, I find the whole crew just a really great team - but then that's just me.

4. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I rank Voyager up there between Enterprise and the Animated Series. In all fairness though the show did start with lots of potential (kind of like the opposite of Enterprise) but for me they started focussing on the character I least like (the Doctor, SevenofNine) so I lost interest in the final seasons. I still haven't seen the final two seasons properly.

5. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    RUBBISH:mad:[face_tired][face_sick][face_frustrated]:mad:[face_monkey]

6. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    There are people who don't adore John Picardo? News to me.

7. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Its always been my least favourite Trek series. I found it a little lacklustre and I don't think they used the idea of a mixed crew to its full potential. I would have expected a lot more conflict between the two groups.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, while the show had some good episodes, there was just too much wasted potential- especially the Maquii members. They could have done so much with the two factions within the crew, but they basicly forget it within the first episode.

And when the water-wanting aliens (or whatever they were) didn't cut it with audiences as a compelling main enemy race, they dug up the Borg- which isn't so bad in itself given the setting of the series, but then they kept going back to that well constantly that it diminished the presence and impact of the Borg.

Then they started to show promise with Species #### supplanting the Borg as the new big baddie...but then they got scared and backtracked on that notion without any followthrough, leaving the Borg left once again as the villians.

And then you have the finale, which was actually pretty good for the most part (that telescoping batmobile armor was pretty sweet- they need to use that more often now), but made the unthinkable error of not even showing any of Voyager's homecoming- which is what the series was meant to lead to in the first place. Just a "we're back!" fade to black. No character reactions, no reunions with loved ones, no reactions to the change of events in the galaxy since they left, etc.

9. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I'll admit it!

7 of 9 got me to watch Voyager. I was the target of that casting call, and darned if it didn't work.

Actually that in conjunction with the axing of "Kes" who was the prime reason for "no-go" at the pilot...never liked that sub-plot.

I think the Borg were always a logical enemy for the later stages of the series given where they sent the ship...but it is true they relied on it too much.

The Hunter race was the best creation of Voyager.

A couple of the characters came away pretty good (Janeway, The Doctor, 7), but most of them never really fleshed out at all (Chakotah, Kim, Tuvok)...especially in comparison to DS9, where characterization excreted from every pore.

By the end of the series, it was like they weren't even marooned...seemed like every other episode had some long range contact with the Federation.

The Doctor episode with Andy Dick was the shark jumping moment.

Voyager started as a replacement for TNG, but ended it's run as the heir to the winning concepts of DS9...unfortunately that makes it almost like 2 shows...and that hurts it overall.

Depending on the episode, I'd watch it over TNG or Enterprise...but I'll take a tanker of a DS9 ep everyday of the week before Voyager.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Funny, the episode with Andy Dick is probably the only work of his that I will willingly watch without a gun to my head.

11. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    This and enterprise are the two series that I have least connection to with star trek. When the slimline dvd sets come out later this month I will start getting them and re-watching the show (as I've only ever seen about 7 full episodes of voyager lol) and see if I can tell what some people rave about.

But being a huge fan of DS9 I think Im going to come away pretty dissapointed most of the time. I mean the star trek podcast 'Make it so' (listen to it, its awesome) had the crew of voyager winning their 'worst character in star trek history' show lol I mean the whole bridge crew! Granted they do like the doctor and tuvok but thats it.

Plus, Kate Mulgrew's (The grew!!!) voice annoys the hell out of me. Sound like a bee in a tin can!

12. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who found her voice annoying :)

13. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    This is the show that got me into Star Trek, so it ranks highly with me. I love it. I've seen every episode. I liked everything about it. DS9 is my least favorite, but I'm slowly becoming a bigger fan of it, as I borrow the DVD sets from my trekkie friend. But Voyager! Yes, I loved it, Janeway, The Doctor, Seven, Paris, Tuvok, even Neelix, and Harry Kim - the-ensign-that-won't-die. Okay so he did die and was replaced by a parallel universe version of himself...Kes really annoyed me, I want to knock her out every time she opens her mouth, and Chakotay never did much of anything except flaunt that tattoo, but he was a good voice of reason and made a good first officer. The whole native american spiritual subtext that they injected into "his" episodes never did much for me though. I liked Tuvok a lot because his character never changed and he brought that vulcanness to a hilarious new level the way he breathed in deeply before speaking...Tim Russ even sounded like Tuvok in his role in Die Hard 4. "He could...copy it...to a portable hard drive...we WOULD...have no way of stopping him." I love it. What was not to like? It had not one, but two characters striving to fit in with humans - the doctor and seven - and then they could interact, and it worked beautifully. New planets, new species, the B'llana-Paris relationship - how they go from bitter enemies to husband and wife, a courageous captain...The Borg...I don't know why people hate this series so much.
    I thought the show epitomized what ST was about - different people uniting (the maquis and feds) exploring new life and new civilization, boldly going? What's the deal?
    With DS9, they sit just sit there and don't, well, trek, at all, and deal with crazy ass aliens coming over and tearing up the promenade while quark is ripping people off. I like OBrien, and the Odo-Quark relationship, but I feel like I can skip every other episode and not miss anything. Don't get me wrong, I try to like it, I want to like it, I try to think of it as what Torchwood is to Doctor Who, but I like Torchwood, and DS9 (I've gotten through the first 4 seasons so far, and yes there are one or two episodes I like.) is BORING. Politics and nonsense. It's a cop show set in space. Spending a whole episode trying to figure out which alien newcomer is responsible for bringing illegal extraterrestrial wax or something is ridiculous in comparison to the cool Voyager episode with the planet that is caught in a temporal shift so a minute in real time is decades on the planet. That was awesome! Hey, I'm gonna keep giving DS9 a chance...It took me 3 tries to get into Stargate, and now I love it.

14. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    DS9 has time-shifting planets.

It also has fleets of ships blowing each other up, Klingons, Romulans, and everything else TREK.

If you're only to season 4...you've barely begun in DS9.

15. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Aug 26, 2004
    Was it really necessary to quote all that?

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

Things start really picking up around season 4 and once you get into season five that's when things really start hitting the fan. You think things are boring? Just wait. [face_devil]

17. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Aug 26, 2004
    Was it necessary to quote that too?

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yes. :)

19. JediXManSerenaKenobi

Jul 27, 2007
    I completely agree with you. I thought DS9 was pretty boring, as as for my part, I think getting lost in space with a real goal is a really good plot. Yes, the first few seasons were BORING, and it wasn't really good until Seven of Nine came along, and the Hirogen, too, but I think it was a great cast. But, I have to say, Kate Mulgrew's voice does get a little grating sometimes. But I still love her just the same! She kicks serious butt.

20. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Voyager is my least favorite as well. The characters were not nearly as interesting for one. Tuvok and Kim were alright at best. I didn't care for Chakotay at all really. Janeway and Neelix were decent. However, Paris and Torres were good, 7 of 9 was an interesting character, and the Doctor is easily one of the best characters out of all the series.

The story line is what really killed it for me. There were a lot of episodes where I found myself asking "WTH does this have to do with anything at all!?" I kept waiting for the show to pick itself up and go somewhere, and it just never did. They had many chances to do something great with it, like they did on DS9, but it's like they purposely shot themselves in the foot every chance they got. [face_frustrated]

There were some good things about the show though. Seasons 6 and 7 were a little better. But like 2ndQuest said, the ending was meh as all get out. They get home in the last minute of the show, and that's it. Wait, that's IT!!? Huh? :confused: [face_plain]

21. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    I enjoyed Voyager and did not have any real problems with any of the crew. The biggest problem I had was with the finale. It was a great show until you realize the credits are rolling at almost the same instance Voyager arrives home. They could have at least tried to tie up a few loose ends.

22. SionsBrother

SionsBrother Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 26, 2006
    I think Voyager was a good series, among my favs. I just found it annoying when someone would fall in love with a freakin' hologram, my least favorite episode is when Janeway falls in love with one. Pathetic.

23. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Nobody wanted to see the crew all say...Buh-bye...and rush off, never to see each other again. Which is exactly what would happen.

Janeway takes the admiralty.
    Seven becomes a lab rat (who probably runs the lab, but still)
    Torres and Paris make babies and reconcile with everyone that is mad at them in the alpha quadrant.
    Chakotah avoids prison, but won't be in Star Fleet
    Kim and Tuvok...who cares.
    Doctor is a hologram...hundreds of him now.

It's the most difficult series to imagine a good ending for beyond their reaching the goal of getting home. But then, moving on with life is good.

The TNG crew will be together on the Enterprise G when they are 90.

"Riker...Starfleet wants to give you a command for the 54th time."

"Is it wheelchair friendly?"

24. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Yeah, no kidding. He was one of my very favorite parts of the show. I was watching First Contact last night, and had actually forgotten about his cameo in there; it quite made me smile.

I have mixed minds about Voyager, though on the whole, I feel it tended to take insufficient advantage of its premise. (I stopped watching after a couple of seasons, but I picked up some of the big stuff, especially some of the Borg-related stuff, in reruns.)

I will say that I enjoyed the ending, at least, for being unexpected. The show was going to have to end either with their finding a way home, or with their resigning themselves to never getting there and seeing their new mission as something important in the Delta Quadrant. Right? No, actually, they've already gotten home, and it turns out to have gone all wrong! (Reminds me a little bit to the end of this last season of Lost, actually.) I can understand what others have said about there being no resolution and wanting to see where things went afterwards, and I think Voyager might really have been the place to do an epilogue episode -- have the finale stand as the finale, but just do an episode after with no real plot in the conventional sense that just shows us how things worked out. I really don't think all that would have worked as a part of "Endgame," though, and I do find it to be a fairly exciting episode in general.

-Paul

25. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    Just an aside, I got his first name wrong... [face_blush]