main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BOARD Settlers of Catan hints?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by pronker, Dec 10, 2015.

1. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    My college-age son is visiting for Christmas break and I'd like some hints, any hints, to make me less lame at this game. I don't think he realizes how much brain power it takes me to learn all these rules. In its favor, it is less time-consuming than Eldritch Horror, although that was fun once we got into it.[face_idea]

2. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Brick and wood are more valuable early game, wheat and ore later on. Try to set up your initial settlements to get as much resource variety as possible, near the largest numbers available.

3. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Thanks. Settlements near the sea sounded a good strategy, as well. I didn't like the idea of getting cut off. Perhaps this time we'll complete a game.

4. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Whenever possible, you'll want to build your settlements at the intersection of 3 lines. Near the sea means you're only getting 1 or 2 chances to get a resource.

pronker likes this.
  5. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Oh. All right then, this sounds like a plan.

6. HighWiredSith

HighWiredSith Jedi Master star 2

Nov 25, 2001
    Catan is all about where you put your initial settlements. You have to have at least one settlement adjacent to sectors with high average dice rolls 5-8. Otherwise, you'll start from behind and it's almost impossible to catch up. Building your second settlement near the sea is fine, as long as you can take over a port in the first 4-5 turns, which can help with resource generation. Also don't be afraid to use the robber and go on the offensive, blocking other players. If you're cut throat and really want to win, a good offensive strategy usually does the trick, but you'll piss off the other players and be accused of ruining an otherwise fun game.

pronker likes this.
  7. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Don't be afraid to ask if anyone has Wood for Sheep. [face_laugh]

Also, more seriously, be sure your first settlements get you wood and brick in some combination, they're essentials for roads and other settlements. Obviously go for the good numbers if you can, but even if you can't, don't be afraid to take less common numbers. You'd be amazed how often they can come up on rolls sometimes, no matter what the odds say. Another strategy most of my friends go with is doing our best to use keep putting the thief on neutral spaces as often as we can, because it keeps everyone more ameniable to trading. If you play cutthroat and rob everyone all the time, you make enemies fast. I usually only do it if I REALLY need something and I know someone has it.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    pronker likes this.