main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Seven swell: The Eureka seveN general discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Darth_Omega, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    This thread is dedicated to the mecha anime called Eureka seveN, licensed in USA by Bandai.

[image=http://www.bandaivisual.co.jp/press/2005/images/pr050418.jpg]

Summary (taken from ANN): Renton Thurston is a 14-year-old boy who lived with his mechanic grandfather in a backwater town. Every day he dreamed of being with the mercenary "Light Finding Operation (LFO)" aircraft pilot group "Gekkostate" and riding "Trapar" particle waves-- a sport called "Riffing"-- with their charismatic leader Holland, especially when faced with his father's acclaimed past or his grandfather's desire to protect him. When a young girl named Eureka riding the original LFO, the "Nirvash typeZERO", asks his grandfather for a tune-up, she inadvertently brings the attention of the military to the garage; as a result, the garage is destroyed and Renton is forced to deliver a new type of interface-- the "Amita Drive"-- to the Nirvash. After a heated fight in which the Nirvash destroys the military LFOs by unleashing an immense amount of power, Renton is invited into Gekkostate. However, he quickly realizes that behind the facade of a traveling group of mercenaries is a very bitter reality.

The summary doesn't do the show any justice what so ever. To sum it up take the best part of Gundam, Evangelion and a real small bit of FMA improve those parts, mix it together and voíla Eureka seveN an outstanding show. Certainly better then most SF anime.

Anyway the show is currently on going in Japan, latest episode is 37. The latest fansub episode is 24. Because of the episode difference and people usually not watching raws: the episode spoiler policy is in place for the fansubbed episodes not the raws.

So let the discussion begin :D

2. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    This show does indeed improve upon all shows it's obviously taking que's from, except for Evangelion I think. Then again, large amounts of Evangelion's awesomeness come from its ending, so we have time to tell.

You gotta love the refrences to so many, and such various TV shows, anime, music, books, etc to be found in Eureka Seven too. From nods to Gundam, to Ray Charles, to 60's TV, to techno music. A bit of everything.

When I recommend a TV show, I do not mess around. :p This is easilly the best anime of last year.

If any anime fans end up in here, I suggest pre-ordering the first DVD with box for 45 dollars as soon as you can. It comes out in April. The extras with box are fantastic though. The first soundtrack (If they use the Japanese one, two CDs covering half the show) the first volume of the manga (which is an alternate telling of the show. Not as good, but good for being so condensed) and a T-shirt that doesn't look like your normal horrible anime based trash. Well worth the 45 dollars.

-P!-

3. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    It certainly is a good deal, I still suggest people getting the fansubs even though the show is good from episode 1 the story doesn't get good until episode 19 I think. The post cave episode ;)

It does take moments from Eva, its true that it doesn't improve them yet but it will at the end...I hope :p

When I recommend a TV show, I do not mess around.

Gasaraki, FLCL, ROD TV, Zettai Shounen its more of good then a none interesting show thing. But this is a personal post :p

4. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Well, the thing is, you're totally insane. So I wash my hands of recommending shows to you. I mean common, you thought Naruto was good. Seriously now. :D

Anyway, I thought the show got really good around the Coralian episodes. Those threeish started at what, 9?

-P!-

5. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    I also thought that Planetes and Stellvia were good :( And Naruto is good...until the filler arc [face_worried]

I think good was the wrong word, I should have used great/fantastic what ever. I really enjoyed the first ten episodes, the entire Coralian mini arc was fantastic from the "TheEND", Renton in

I have to admit I'm missing some of the classic Gekkostate episodes.

On another note when does NF bring out a new fansub...I want to see the Ramba Ral moment :p

6. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    "This is no typeZERO boy! No typeZERO!"

-P!-

7. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    I love this show soo much. I want more Ray and Charles! They were so awesomely corny. I already miss those episodes of happiness away from the Gekko-go.

Though I am anxious for Holland to redeem himself somehow. Freaking jealous...

[image=http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/882/11368108907607ln.jpg]

-~This is no Zaku, Boy. No Zaku!~-

8. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Ya know, before we even see 26, and lament their deaths (I don't know they die in 26, but I think they do, given what we've heard of the episode.) bear in mind that they're choosing revenge over any self imposed duty over Renton. That's a pretty shaky thing there.

-P!-

9. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    Well yeah, I guess the feud between Charles and mr. dick head...er...I mean Holland runs quite deep. It also looks like that in episode 26 Renton and Eureka will meet again...about time too maybe they will finally admit their feelings to each other :p

10. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Eureka 7: Psalms of Planets episode 26: Morning Glory.

Oh. My. Good. Great. Grand. Glorious. God. That owned. If not for the cliffhanger ending, and the loose mysteries I'd call that the finale.

Since you folk haven't seen it yet, I'll just go OH MY GOD some more.

-P!-

11. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    I've seen episode 26 and well my reaction is the complete opposite of Trell :\ I've felt underwhelmed after watching it and slightly annoyed :eek: :(

12. BartSimpson-SithLord

Jan 24, 2002
    Saw 26 earlier today. I wholeheartedly agree with everything Trell has said so far. That episode was awesome. Predictable in an edge of the seat type fashion.

Really starting to like Gidget, she's awesome.

And Gonzy is awesome.

13. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Ah, it's all just pulled off with such class, such class. :D

I'm really starting to love to hate Charles and Ray. Quite twisted those two.

I saw the fourth op/ed. Awesome and confusing.

-P!-

14. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    You know I don't hate Ray (Rei?) and Charles.

Anyway skimmed through the first volume of Eureka 7 and its basicly the same. There are better manga's to check out :)

edit:

Hihi its from Pani Poni Dash!! episode 20 :)

another

15. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Well that's curious....

And yeah, the E7 manga seems to be no more than a quick retelling of the show. Worth a read I guess, but not amazing.

-P!-

16. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    I guess its meant for people who don't have "time" to watch the anime etc.

17. BartSimpson-SithLord

Jan 24, 2002
    People who don't have "time" to watch E7 have no business talking to me. :p

Now, whoever is closest to the Nanashi person responsible for not uploading yet, go kick their butt into gear.

18. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Or people who need a quick fix on the train or such. :p

Hey, both the Planetes manga and anime are total win. The RahXephon manga is okay. I think the Eureka Seven manga is somewhere inbetween.

And yes, I know the Planetes manga is more of your normal example and doesn't truly fit this situation.

-P!-

19. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    Well, I've seen episode 27 and 28 (before Trell ha!) both were great :) I think my favourite part of those episodes is Eureka wanting to comfort Renton but just didn't seem to do it.

About Charles and Ray I was almost dissapointed that Charles didn't go out with a bang, I'm glad he did. Like wise with Ray, I'm glad she tempted to destroy Gekko-go with her ship. Too bad Nirvash didn't go out and tempt to push it away nor Ryu Jose crashing into her LFO :p
    Still great episode, I especially enjoyed Gekko-go evading the attack by firing its guns and Ray searching for her arm (and weddingring) was sad :(

Looking forward to 29

P.S. 3rd opening sucks, can't wait for the final one. AMAZING GRACE. HOW SWEET THE SOUND! :p

P.P.S. More Anemone plz

P.P.P.S. Anemone's pet is a platypus? Woah I thought it was a fat monkey...

20. BartSimpson-SithLord

Jan 24, 2002
    No fair gloating when the other party is having internet problems. I watched them earlier myself. Didn't like the new op. Op4 FTW! But apparently 3 will get at least an animation upgrade around 35. It's like the outsourced the animation of this opening to their back-up back-up studio because the main studios were all working on the brilliance that was 26.

P.S. Yes, more Anemone. Now.

P.P.S. That's what that ugly thing is? I just thought it was a white pile of living meat.

P.P.P.S. Someone on Nanashi's forums suggested that the 4th op gives hints that a faction of the military may split off and join with the Gekko-Go. They also stated that this faction may include Dominic and Anemone. Just mindless speculation, of course...but it could spark some discussion in here.

21. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    I've heard conflicting ideas on the idea of somebody joining Gekko-State. On the one hand you have an LFO that looks just like theEND but with a more Nirvash like paint job. And people seem to think Dominic may want leave himself. On the other hand people have said that it's almost impossible for Anemone to split from Dewey.

-P!-

22. BartSimpson-SithLord

Jan 24, 2002

Not if Dewey is her Holland and Dominic her Renton...

23. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    By impossible I just mean that she's totally devoted to Dewey, and barelly seems to notice Dominic's existance.

-P!-

24. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    Dominic's lack of fashion is ultimately proven when he threw away Bask Om's goggles.

Anyway the old man seems to be doing well, he got his own harem of three little girls.

Oh yeah Eureka is a correlan (sp?) along with Diane's DNA. Holland wants to protect Eureka so that he can bring back Diane.

I must say though, revealing that information out of the blue during dinner time infront of the entire crew is a classic.

:p ;)

25. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Couldn't Talho have waited untill everybody was about done with dinner at least? :p I liked it to though. Finally somebody got sick of nobody knowing anything, and everybody dancing quitly around the truth....'s. And of all people, Talho. I get the feeling next episode has her outfit change, which will be er... interesting.

Omega, Eureka is not Rei. Wrong anime. :p

-P!-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.