main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Weather/Natural Disaster Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Skywalker8921, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Glad to hear your friend was able to get home, Tunes.

DarthTunick and Pensivia like this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Glad his place is OK.

DarthTunick likes this.
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    7.0 earthquake in Alaska. Yikes.

4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just saw the headline on the CNN website. My sister lived there for awhile before moving to Fairbanks. (She's in Florida now so gets hurricanes instead of earthquakes - so far).

6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    All the newstations there have been knocked off the air.

7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Not surprised with a 7.0 magnitude.

8. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    A tsunami is probably expected

9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    CNN said there were warnings up.

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Four sizeable aftershocks have followed, one reaching as high as 5.8.

DANNASUK likes this.
  11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    NOAA's cancelled the tsunami warning. Very good news, but some of the structural damage is unbelievable.

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Major infrastructure damage their saying.

13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I saw some footage of it on the news. Glad I don't live in an earthquake zone.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I follow Anchorage Daily News’ feed on Facebook; there is a picture of a Safeway in Eagle River that was essentially destroyed on the inside and another live stream from a Safeway in Anchorage that looked a little better. The up side is that the Port of Anchorage is still open; if the port were nonfunctional, Alaska would have a bad supply problem. Anchorage schools are closed Monday and Tuesday.

15. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    So we are expecting a "dusting" of snow. Which I'm taking lightly because last time they said dusting I got over 10" of snow in my backyard [face_plain]

But it is supposed to be only 1.5 inches. But the schools I've seen are closed tomorrow in case so it's going to be busy at work...

16. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Tornados have been ripping places here in the south: mostly Alabama. 23 dead expected to rise and one tornado was a F3 a half mile wide. Power outages and injuries everywhere else.

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Hope anyone from here in that area is OK.

PCCViking likes this.
  18. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    We were under a tornado warning here in Florida.

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Know we generally keep this Murra-centric, but what's happened in East Africa over the last month shouldn't go unnoticed.

Cyclone Kenneth just laid waste to parts of Mozambique after landfall on Thursday - a slow-moving (read: floods) system with sustained winds of 200mph at landfall. Reportedly 90% of the homes in a major town on the coast were destroyed, and although thankfully the death/injury count have been low thus far, have to think that the chaos is masking a lot of that, and it will be obscene.

Idai's early-March impact on Madagascar, Mozambique, and other areas of southeast Africa is still a factor in all of this, with 2000 known dead and infrastructure completely destroyed in many areas.

Terribly sad, and hopefully the kind of support that places in the States and East Asia recieve after devastating storms will be given to the people of these countries. It'll take years, decades, to rebuild, I'm afraid.

20. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I just saw on BBC that they got hit again, and after what happened in March, this is terrible. Of course it hasn't gotten much coverage in the US...

21. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    What a surprise that is. But it's all part of the global warming thing the idiot in charge and other idiots that prefer to ignore reality deny as fiction. Maybe they'll start caring - and by then it'll be too late - when the next super hurricane floods a good chunk if not the entire East Coast.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm in the midwest, and while I don't experience hurricanes, it was possibly the worst snow/cold season in a long time. So bad, there was a one side parking ban for 2-3 weeks in the Twin Cities area.

Not anywhere near as bad as what East Africa is experiencing, but we're feeling climate change all over.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

if you're in non-green, be ****ing careful today plz

nasty stuff

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    What's that for - tornadoes?

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Mostly severe Thunderstorms, with an escalating risk of tornadoes based on the color, with green being low severe weather risk and purple being "stay in the bathroom with a football helmut on all day!"

Master_Lok, PCCViking and LAJ_FETT like this.