main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Weather/Natural Disaster Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Skywalker8921, Apr 29, 2014.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    primarily. golf-ball sized hail and severe thunderstorms likely, as well.

the weather channel's "tor-con," which measures tornado likelihood in a given area, has oklahoma city at a 9 (90% likely).

national weather service is also thoroughly freaked out in their messaging today.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I hope nothing happens but if you're in the area stay safe and keep an eye on the warnings..

3. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Well, if anyone is in Kansas and in the yellow zone, evacuate to KU's football's stadium, because the chances of a touchdown there are remote. :p

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Really serious flooding in large parts of Oklahoma today as a result of the saturation from the last round of storms and the ones that have rolled in this week. Although I think 19 tornadoes touched down in TX/OK yesterday, it sounds like most were not in areas of substantial population. The floods are another story.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Saw that earlier on CNN's website. Hope no one here gets flooded out.

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It has been a nightmarish couple of days here in Oklahoma. I've avoided any personal and/or property damage, but roads around my house are flooded out and the other night, we literally had numerous possible tornados heading toward me from different directions. My dog has not been enjoying this.

solojones and heels1785 like this.
  7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I can imagine. He's probably under the bed and the humans wish they could join him. We had flooding from the River Thames in my area back in 2014 (lots of rain but no tornadoes). My area was just high enough to stay dry but some houses/flats on up the street on lower ground got flooded.The council was using the local pub as a place to get sandbags.
    Hope you stay dry!

8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Luckily I'm in the green, although sorta close to yellow. Needless to say, it's been raining like crazy since yesterday, and it's supposed to keep raining for like 10 more days straight. Heavy rains too. There was some flash flooding last night but my commute was still okay.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Keep safe everybody!

10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Next round of storms begin making their way through Texas and up tornado alley today. Saw Missouri got hit incredibly hard yesterday, Jefferson County with at least three casualties. Unfortunately, doesn't look to be much time to rest/dry out for the area that has dealt with awful weather this and last week, through the end of the month:

[​IMG]

Southeast seeing heat indexes over 105 during Memorial Day weekend, 15-20 degrees above normal highs. But everything is awesome.

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Looks like my friend in CT might get wet on Saturday.

12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Yeah, there are some severe t-storm warnings out in the Buffalo area, I think - northeast getting the remnants of the storm.

NOAA's updated their outlook for the 2019 Atlantic hurricane season - 70% chance for 9-15 named storms from June 1-November 30, which is a standard year. Uptick from their late-winter forecast that was calling for a lighter-than-usual season.

13. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I'm concerned about my friends in Oklahoma.

14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    The flooding in Tulsa, OK looks potentially disastrous - they're evacuating large parts of it, I believe. I know it's a big state, and some areas didn't get that kind of devastation, but the one thing I saw up close in SC/NC after Florence last year was how much worse it gets when the weather lingers, and people can't recover without getting more rain and wind.

Tornado warning in Washington, DC. 70 mph gusts at Reagan Int'l. Don't see that every day.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    There were several tornadoes in populated areas of MO last night. A big one hit the capital of Jefferson City, unknown damage levels right now. Another one hit north of Joplin, killing three people, on the 8th anniversary of that devastating EF5 in Joplin.

Luckily I'm just in the slight risk area. I don't have a basement so tornadoes definitely concern me here.

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Under a tornado warning. My puppy and parents are here with me in my bathroom. I don't have a basement.

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Stay safe!

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Hope you didn't get a tornado..

19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Tornado on the ground in Tulsa. Or it was just a few minutes ago. Flooding was already insane. Areas were being evacuated today at noon and then more areas around six o'clock this evening and now it's about one in the morning and we're getting heavy, heavy rain right now as I type. What a week . . . thankfully, I haven't been personally impacted by the flooding or the tornados, but they've been all over the place around me and I have friends who have experienced property damages in the tens of thousands of dollars. Don't know anyone personally who has lost everything, but entire homes have been submerged completely in surrounding areas. Downright apocalyptic.

EDIT: Also, report is of fatalities in Oklahoma City from a tornado hitting a hotel. It was about an hour ago when a tornado on the ground reportedly went right through a densely populated area of Tulsa; deaths definitely a possibility, though of course I sincerely hope not.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    We did get two tornadoes in my town last Friday night, but no damage near me. They were EF0 tornadoes thankfully.

But right now there's a tornado wrapped in rain near Lawrence, KS. Luckily KU is done with school for the summer. But it's a large circulation so hopefully it stays away from town.

Oh wow news just showed the live footage, it's huge.

Edit: oh **** it's headed to Johnson county. That's the most populous county in Kansas.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    heels1785 likes this.
  21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    You all can't catch a break, sj. Wild that the same regions keep getting hit. We could use some of the rain, wretched drought in the southeast. Not the wind, though.

Be careful out there. Looks like a very strong one has touched down northeast of KC.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    If this heat wave this week is an indication of what Summer's going to be like over here, then I wanna win the Mega Millions just to go to Alaska for about 3 months until September.

PCCViking likes this.
  23. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    The storm in DC was wild. Lots of downed trees in NoVA and in town with a confirmed tornado in Columbia, MD. There was a tornado a few years ago in downtown DC that I experienced in a pizza place literally two blocks away.

I also cannot wait to move to back to Chicago to get away from this heat wave as well. 22 more days!

24. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Tornado touched down in Morgantown, PA, Berks County. If anyone is it that area, I hope you and your family are safe.

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Devastating hits in Kansas and Missouri tonight, similar to Ohio last night and Oklahoma last week. Rough May for the midwest.