main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sexism policy

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Ender Sai, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I agree; I just went and took a look at it. Agreed with Jabba; it was perfect and I'd like to see similar examples as the need arises.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah Myke, EHT, and others have done an excellent job regulating that kind of stuff, especially in the Ridley thread.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Wow. Sexism is a discrimination. That is not what is being handled in this grandstanding thread.

4. bluuu

bluuu Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2013
    Are discussion or pics of 'slave Leia' discouraged?

Hey. It's worth asking. We're on a Star Wars forum, and that's one of the most popular art choices in fan circles.

5. Jax_the_Admiral

Jax_the_Admiral Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2014
    I hope not. If I can have a shirtless Channing Tatum profile pic and nobody bats an eye. I certainly hope slave Leia has the same effect, else it would be hypocritical.

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    If men were subject to systemic discrimination based on their value as a physical and sexual object you might have a point.

If.

Also, Montie, I don't follow sorry mate - what are you saying?

Valairy Scot likes this.
  7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    It's easy to read.

Sexism would be someone posting, "What are you doing posting anything here? You're a woman. You don't get to have an opinion." Commenting on a celeb's looks is not sexism. It's an easy definitiont to look up.

8. Jax_the_Admiral

Aug 21, 2014
    You're talking about women as if they're little butterflies that cant fend for themselves. I'm for EQUALITY. Anything that's okay for men should be okay for women and vice versa, therefore slave Leia should be okay.

9. bluuu

bluuu Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2013

It is easy to read.

So I'm assuming that includes Leia in a bikini?

Zapdos likes this.
  10. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    i was with you up untill the last sentence. i'm for equality as well, therefore neither should be okay.

11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    It could if you decided she can't post here because she is just some chick in a bikini.

And patronising language is not limited to gender. Ender does it all the time. Shall we just ban him outright for all his insults? When you comment on leia in a bikini did you shame her? Do you go to cons and look at all the slave leia's and yell at them for being whores?

12. Jax_the_Admiral

Aug 21, 2014
    So... women cant wear bikinis and men cant be shirtless? It's not a leaked nude photo or anything like that. It was clearly done with her consent.

13. bluuu

bluuu Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2013

While I appreciate your deep philosophical approach, I somehow doubt this was going through Ender's mind when he posted that clause.

I guess I'll never know, because he doesn't seem interested in addressing the question.

14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Commenting on a person's looks is one thing... posting pics of scantily clad women/men and publicly circle jerking over them is something else.

Example: "S/he's (you're) pretty and intelligent. I admire her/him (you)." - a fairly innocent compliment, depending on how the person feels about the attention. If the person expresses they do not appreciate the attention, it should be stopped as soon as the expression is made.

Example 2: [image of person] "Dude, s/he's ****ing HOT. I'd like to [creep creep creep] [face_hypnotized]=P~ " is called objectification, which plays a role in gender inequality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_objectification

15. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    the problem is that there's been an entire thread dedicated to posting revealing photos of mostly women on the jcc, and when a certain amount of posters have a negative reaction to it i think it's time to consider that maybe it's not doing any good and we'll be better off without it.

bluuu likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    On harpua 's post: Yes, that is exactly the difference.

As far as slave Leia pictures: I think it's stupid that that image of her is the most iconic but of all the sexism issues on this site, slave Leia comments or pictures rank pretty close to the bottom for me.

17. Jax_the_Admiral

Aug 21, 2014
    That's bad and they should lock that forum, but men and women looking sexy should not be censored as long as there's consent for the taken picture. There nothing wrong with showing your sexuality.

18. bluuu

bluuu Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2013
    I don't agree entirely, but at least you didn't dodge the issue.

19. Jax_the_Admiral

Aug 21, 2014
    How about saying: "Hey that's a cute guy/girl"? Is there anything wrong with that?

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Pretty sure she covered that in her first paragraph.

Jax_the_Admiral, harpua and Zapdos like this.
  21. Jax_the_Admiral

Aug 21, 2014
    Very well, I'm sorry. I misunderstood the sentence.

22. bluuu

bluuu Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2013
    It never said anything about verbally shaming the women in the pictures. It just said: 'pictures objectifying women.'

So you're in here developing vague rules for which you can't account when they're brought under the mildest of scrutiny.

That's dangerous.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Not even sure what you're on about, I think harpua covered it pretty well.

Think of it as the difference between telling a woman you know that she looks nice today, and cat-calling a strange woman on the street.

There are people who will defend the latter as "paying a compliment." Check out some of the comments in the misogyny thread if you don't believe me. But it's not a compliment, it's disgusting and demeaning.

The former, however, is genuinely a compliment.

24. bluuu

bluuu Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2013
    Okay, but what does that have to do with posting Leia bikini pictures?

25. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Just curious... you're on a SW message board, filled with SW fans--we've all seen the image billions of times. What reason would you have for posting it? I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to, I'm just wondering why the slave Leia image is such an important issue, for you.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.