main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sexual Harassment

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Only-One Cannoli, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    It's to do with IGN who have multiple connected accounts across their boards and the usernames don't link the same over there.

Combining the "Faces" and "Markup Codes" links is a good idea, if not deleting them altogether given the way the posting interface is now.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Also, for the sake of completeness in both sides of the argument, it should be noted that NOT every complaint -- even on investigation by an admin -- will result in any action, let alone usernotes, warnings, bans.

Not EVERY complaint is valid, much as it isn't for trolling, baiting, etc. but I'd like to think that there will be a "good faith" effort on the part of the MS to deal with these types of complaints.

3. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Correct. We have direct control over links to the right of "New Boards", i.e. Rules of the JC, TOS, Faces, and Markup Codes (plus a currently unused fifth item).

4. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I'd word it better. I would say that no complaint PMed to any member of MS will be greeted with ignorance, inaction or anything but prioritized attention from the administrative team.

5. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I'd like to congratulate the MS on their recent actions. They will hopefully deter others.

I have a complaint - your colours are terrible. I'm assuming this complaint won't be met with inaction, and its a high priority to get them neutralised.

6. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    I have looked into your complaint and I agree that the purple wasn't working for me.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I thought it was CrazyMike when I saw the id in the mods online list. He used the purple for quite awhile.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Fair enough. But I think everyone at least (hopefully) got my gist.

9. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Yeah, we don't ban someone because somebody said so. When I said "we're not going to meet a complaint with inaction", I didn't mean to suggest that we'll always ban. I just meant that we'll always investigate everything and collectively make up our minds on what the best action should be.

10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Does everything have to be handled "collectively" though?

I ask because being "harassed" is a humiliating experience... it makes a person feel... well, there are a number of emotions.

Anyway, a small group of people (five max) dedicated to dealing with situations like this would be a far better idea. I say this because the idea of something like this being discussed behind closed doors by a group of people who may or may not know the person who made the complaint, as well as the person who made the complaint not being able to give any input whatsoever or take part in the discussion, very well may deter people from saying anything at all. The idea of such a discussion between such a large group of people isn't pleasant or welcoming.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    As I posted originally, there WAS a plan for something like that... but apparently no one besides me (and possibly Kate who is no longer here) remembers this.

It was specifically SO THAT sexual harrassment charges could be investigated without it being dragged out in the entirety of the MS, as those cases are generally more sensitive than most other "abuse or harrassment" cases.

12. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Certainly not. I know that can be a concern but harassment complaints don't have to be published. If anyone would rather keep something just between themselves and an administrator, that is perfectly acceptable and it will be honored. So let it be known, if someone tells an administrator never to mention it with anyone else, but still wants it investigated, that can be done.

13. MaidenLumpe

MaidenLumpe VIP star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 13, 2000
    That's a good move, and one that I think should be mentioned in threads that say how to make complains, and mods should be aware of to tell users who are concerned, especially since there's the possibility that the mod squad, admin forum included, isn't completely secure.

14. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I remember it. I was the admin who investigated the PMs of the initial case that prompted the proposal for policy.

I went looking for the thread last night between Kil'jaeden attempts, didn't have time to look while at work, found it earlier this evening. Kept getting sidetracked by nostalagia.

15. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    Yes, some cases of sexual harassment are more sensitive than others. At times make the victims feel more depress especially is the issue goes all over the place.

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    You know, reading this, particularly these last few posts, it strikes me that one reason people might not want to tell a mod isn't just because they're ashamed of the mod knowing or of several mods knowing. Maybe it's because they also know that if a thread is posted in the Mod Squad, it'll likely be hacked in five minutes and on its way through the rounds.

I got to think that doesn't help. And, I'll be honest here, MS leaks never really bothered me that much; I say nothing in private I wouldn't say in public (I rarely say anything in private period, as my fellow mods will attest), and if you need to see what goes on in the MS, well, whatever gets your kicks for you.

But in a case like this, I think it would be totally morally reprehensible and indefensible to leak information about something like this, particularly if it is a truly serious case of harrassment. And just knowing that it goes on may in fact be a deterrent to people coming to the MS with real, serious issues.

So, yeah, hacking MS is probably fun, but have a heart occasionally. Oy. Who am I talking to here?

17. MaidenLumpe

MaidenLumpe VIP star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 13, 2000
    I think that there are a number of reasons that people don't report it, and it becoming public knowledge is part of it, but not the only one. Also, I'd say that most users that are highly involved in the boards probably have a mod or two that they really don't get on with, don't trust, and don't want knowing their business, and for that reason they don't want all 30+ of you, some of who are relative strangers, knowing. (Not meant to be a swipe at the mods, just the way that things work sometimes.)

As a side note, I'm not convinced that even if there wasn't the possibility of the Mod Squad being hacked that this information wouldn't get out. Mods are only human, stuff happens, and plenty of stuff has leaked through. I've no doubt that even without a possible hacker the underground public knowledge of this most recent issue would have happened - it's difficult to ban a well-known, well-liked, highly prominent user without some people asking - especially if there are more obvious signs that someone has been banned.

18. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Splendid idea.

19. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    She's talking about the search bar next to Post Topic. Not the Google search.

20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

Nevermind

21. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Just to add to what Carmen has said, even before the MS was getting 'hacked' information still got out. The "underground" information channels always have been there and will always be there so there is a legitimate concern over how widely issues of this kind should be discussed and managed. What needs to be weighed up is the need for transparency against the need for privacy and I don't know if there is a 'right' middle ground.

22. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    EDIT: I guess this post wasn't particularly helpful. Move along.

23. Darth Ace

Darth Ace Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 1999
    GK edit: Sorry, that's not allowed.

24. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I know. That and the equally useless 'alltheweb' search on some forums need to go, and be replaced by a forum-specific google search in the header area (not above the banner ad in the theme area). But that's for another thread...

25. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I agree with this completely.

Quite fankly it makes me pretty nauseous that people find this sort of thing to be entertaining.

I mean, I'm not going to be a hypocrite here, I've most definitely had a laugh or five thousand at the expense of others, but this is definitely something more "serious." It just appears that people have absolutely no regard for the feelings of anybody involved... it's all just "dish."

Makes me physically ill, really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.