main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SFF: Films/TV Update for 2-6-06

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by DVeditor, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    To continue the trend (so to speak) here's a quick update on just a couple things that are happening around here:

• Trivia Contest

• The madness has begun! All five teams made it past the first question - head over to this thread and watch what's going on in there!

• Books/Comics Writing Contest - February 2006

• DorkmanScott has put a writing contest together over in Books/Comics - go take a look at what's happening over there and get writing!

• Mobile Social Thread

• Yes, this thread is still making it's way around the various corners of the JC. This last week it set down here in our forum, but you never know where it will go next so stop in and say hello! (And of course don't forget our social thread too.)

• Recent Hot Topics

• Several threads that attracted attention and discussion lately are listed below, but remember this is only a few of the many things being discussed in here!

Fantastic Four Movies (Spoilers)
      Title says it all - this thread has some good discussion about the Fantastic Four movies as well as a few hints on things to possibly look forward to in the second film!

The New Battlestar Galactica (No Spoilers)
      Great info and discussion related to the new BSG series - if you're trying to stay spoiler-free this is the place to go!

The Classics: What Would you Recommend?
      Thought I'd toss this in because more suggestions need to be made. ;) Healer_Leona has asked what you'd recommend in the way of old sci-fi movies. If you've seen any of the "classic" sci-fi movies be sure to drop a note in there!

2. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    great update! =D=

3. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Have these updates been discontinued? I think they're a good idea. If they are to return in some way, it would be great to spotlight threads from around the JC that would be of interest to SFF fans (like the latest Census tournament or The Matrix score discussion in the Music forum).

4. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I almost forgot that we had one of these floating around. There's been a lot that has happened in the past two months here on SFF and we need to catch up, though it's mainly the regulars round here most of the time.

5. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Now that I could see.

Posting updates about threads that are plastered to the top of the thread doesn't make much sense IMO :p

Letting people know about going ons in other forums that might interest them is a good idea though.

Then again most of us seem pretty diverse in our posting, but thats neither here nor there.

6. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Lol, I forgot I/we did this too - this is a big place compared to the size of the forum back then. 8-}

I've made a note about this in the mod areas to see what the others think. :)

7. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    Sounds cool, DV. :)

True. But if there's a major development concerning one of the threads (i.e. the new Superman Returns trailer comes out or Wonder Woman is cast), it wouldn't be a bad idea to mention it in an update.

8. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Quite true. If people read the update :p

9. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    I also think it would be neat to include a listing of the new SFF DVD and theatrical releases of the week. And maybe a reminder to let people know if there's going to be a new episode of a SFF series during that week.

Of course, this might be a lot of work. :p

10. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I usually keep tabs on Box Office, DVD and theatrical releases. Like one of my other hobbies. ;)

11. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Son of the Suns posted:
    I also think it would be neat to include a listing of the new SFF DVD and theatrical releases of the week. [hr][/blockquote]
    I think that would be kind of fun if perhaps done on a monthly basis - at one point we had a thread in here about upcoming features so maybe that'd be worth digging up. [face_thinking]

As far as the updates go, I think we've basically decided that we'll try to go with more of a "once-per-month" schedule rather than every two weeks. That way it's a bit more relaxed and the highlights can still be, uh, highlighted. :p You never know what might happen around here... [face_mischief]

12. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004

There is so much excitement round these parts. These updates could actually be even more fun than the MS updates with some intriguing ideas put to play. :)

13. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005

nothing could beat those good old fashion quality MS Updates :p

14. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    SFF updates would pwn the MS updates, and the ironic thing is I like the MS updates.

15. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i forsee the next SFF update will probably be when ObiWan506's successor is announced

16. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    Sounds great! A monthly schedule would give you guys more time to come up with interesting content. And it would make these updates more like an event instead of just a weekly routine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.