main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SFF movies/mini-series you would like to see made.

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by MariahJade2, Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I don't know about anyone else, but I have a few things I'd dearly love to see on film. A few have been talked about, but so far haven't gotten past the planning stage or have been abandonded. If you have any requests or themes you'd like to see explored post it here.

I'd love to see Rendevous with Rama on full screen. I know this has been planned before but I don't think it's gone anywhere for a long time.

I'd also like to see Ringworld done as well. Not sure what medium would work best for that one though. I'm thinking that full screen would give you a better sense of the scope of the ring but the story itself might be better served by a mini-series. I'm not sure on this one.

I'd also like to see Foundation done or Caves of Steel. I'd be interested in who people would cast for the priciple characters in either of those.

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Oh god, there are so many things... The SciFi channel tends to do a fantastic job on much of their miniseries work.

I would absolutely love to see Ringworld, and I've heard that it's in the pipeline. Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars is also in the works, but that's more definite. Foundation would also be an outstanding choice.

Allen Steele's Coyote would also make a wonderful multinight event. No more of these two night htings.

3. green-boy

green-boy Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2004
    What about continuing with the Dune chronicles? God Emperor of Dune mini-series perhaps?

4. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I want Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy and "The Wicked Day" given the LOTR treatment :_|

5. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I've always thought the Deathstalker books would make a good mini series.

6. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    I want Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy and "The Wicked Day" given the LOTR treatment

I just love that series. That would be beautiful on the big screen.

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'd love to see Niven's Man-Kzin Wars. Really, a lot of Known Space stories would work I think.

I have never read the initial Dragonlance books, but from what I do know about them they would probably make a good film series.

8. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    I posted this idea in a similar thread in sci fi books forum, but I think A Song of Ice and Fire could work as a television series.

As a movie, no. Consider that each book in the Song of Ice and Fire series is the size of all of LOTR, and it took three rather long (but excellent) films to cover that. Movies just wouldn't be practical for this series.

A television series though could possibly work. What if each season was a book? Season 1 is Game of Thrones. Season 2 is Clash of Kings, etc. Everything in the books could be covered. I think this could work, because just look at all the tv shows around today that successfully continue through one main story arc for an entire season.

There are a lot of scenes in the series that struck me as being potentially excellent cinematic sequences, particularly the assassination of Robb Stark and the entire Red Wedding chapter in Storm of Swords. With the right editing, score, and cinematography, that could be seriously awesome/powerful.

If not an entire television series, at least a miniseries.

Probably unlikely, but it would be cool.

9. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    I'd love to see Niven's Man-Kzin Wars. Really, a lot of Known Space stories would work I think.

Do you think the Kzin could be translated visually well enough to be believable characters? I agree about the Known Space stories. A lot of them could work quite well.

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Getting the Kzin done well is the problem. Chewie shows what a good costume can do and look real enough, but cgi might be the order of the day for the Kzin. The problem would be making them look real rather than cartoonish like most cgi turns out.
    I thought the cgi of Yoda in ROTS was really great, and Gollum is another good example. It can be done if someone really wants to do it.

11. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I think the book Alas, Babylon would work as a mini - series. It may well be topical today, with Iran and various other nuclear powers/terrorists gunning for America.

12. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    With CGI? Probably pretty well. Or just get Jim Henson's company on it, they'd do a very good job of it.

13. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    With CGI? Probably pretty well. Or just get Jim Henson's company on it, they'd do a very good job of it.

You are probably right. I just wouldn't want them to go overboard with the walking tiger thing. I think I'd prefer make-up to CGI, only because, while it's improved tremendously, it still lacks that feeling of weight you get with a real actor at times. Though a combination would probably be necessary.

I think the book Alas, Babylon would work as a mini - series. It may well be topical today, with Iran and various other nuclear powers/terrorists gunning for America.

I don't know this story. Is it just the topical nature or are there good cinematic qualities to the writing? :)

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

I think it's a mix of both. It's got a mini - series quality to it and deals pretty good with the aftereffects of what a nuclear attack could to even a town not indirectly affected by it (Keep in mind this was written before we developed enough weapons to blow up the Earth several hundred times over).

The characters feel real to me. I think it would make a good mini - series.

15. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    A high budget well-produced (and please uncut) movie series for A Song of Ice and Fire. And as for cutting I can understand if they don't explicitly show all the sex scenes, but that is it. Or perhaps a series considering how obscenely long the movies would have to be, cut the FCC would cut ASOIAF apart like so much warm butter if they tried that.

-The Scummy-

16. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    They should get Zoic to to the CGI. :)

I get chills thinking of what flying towards the Ring would look like.

17. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    I get chills thinking of what flying towards the Ring would look like.

Oh, I know, wouldn't that be just an awesome shot? So would the revelation of the secret of the Mountain. Have a director pics or casting thoughts?

18. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I would love to see Joss Whedon adapt his comic book miniseries Fray into a feature film. It would be awesome if the film started out with a flashback sequence showing some of the previous vampire slayers, including cameos by Sarah Michelle Gellar and Eliza Dushku.

19. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    The Dark Knight Returns

20. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999

Hm... The guy who did Solaris, Steven Soughterburg (I mangled that). The way that was directed was amazing. As for casting... I don't know about the guy, but the girl, the girl who plays Kate in LOST would be amazing. Aliens would be CGI most likely.

21. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Anne McCaffrey's Pern. It's up to nearly 20 books by now, so they'd definitely have to select carefully what to include and what not to. A series was in the works for a while, but AMC preferred to pull the plug rather than let the network do what it wanted with her world. Understandable.

22. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    I'd love to see a Warhammer40k movie done. I think it could be done (live action, too). If Lord of the Rings can be adapted to screen form, I have no doubts that WH40k could be, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.