main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph SFF Writers' Guild Writing Contest Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by droideka27, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    In the Writers Guild thread, the discussion got a bit sidetracked, talking about a possible Sci-fi and fantasy writing contest. To bring more attention to this discussion, and also free up The Writer's Guild Thread for more useful discussion.

We're looking at holding a contest every month or two... allowing the writers about two weeks to write a fictional story. Up for debate is whether or not to restrict the stories. I think it might be a good idea to have one contest be sci-fi themed and the next fantasy, and alternate that way. Some are in favor of forcing the inclusion of a specificed object, sentence, or something else to include in the story.

Entries should be at least 2,000 words, but not more than 8,000, we're thinking.

And the winner would, of course, recieve colors for a short period of time. The winner would most likely be determined by a panel of voulenteer judges, and will either have each judge simply vote for their favorites, or possible have more stringent grading guidelines.

So, SFF Books and Comis Regulars, what are your thoughts? What do you want to see in a contest like this?

2. droideka27

May 28, 2002

I'm of the opinion that if a writer want sa discussion of their writings... recieving back critical feedback... critiquing writing style... etc, they should post in the Writers Guild. The Writers guild would have some members willing to do this for the writer, and could use the thread to discuss.

If instead, the writer wants to show off some of their writing and have it compared to other JCers in order to possibly win colors, they should enter this contest.

But, I am not a writer. What do you writers want?

3. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    Well like I said in the Guild thread, I think this is the best way to go. Hooray good ideas.

4. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    few questions...

would stories be held to sci-fi/Fantasy genre
    Lenght of stories (max-min)
    Topics of stories?
    once a month?

things to ask yourself

dkt

5. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    Oh yes, my opinion was merely agreeing with you. See, I am admitting it, not being an idea stealer :p

6. Sanctimoniously

Sanctimoniously Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2005
    I'm for themes meself; for example, the apocalypse, a future war, etc. And then the pieces should be judged based on a few loose criteria, such as plotline or characters. But I'm just one writer, and not a very influential one. We need more writers...

7. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Sep 27, 2002
    i like vague themes so that each story is somewhat similar. This is good beacause it gives other writers a chance to see how other people treat the same idea.

I think that the stories should be judged of more than if the story was good. Like stated above, 1-10 for enjoyment, dialoge, characters, environment. Thats me

dkt

8. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    No, no, no, no, NO.

Tracy, you are the limit.

This competition was originally derived and developed inside the Guild. I will not stand aside and allow for you to just wrest it away, in order to suit your preferences, so your side of the debate is more easily won.

This *is* outrageous.

9. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    Nobody else seems to have a problem. Calm down!

10. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Let the demonizing begin. :rolleyes: I am by no means out of control.

As far as I'm concerned, droideka27's act is nothing less than moderator power abuse. I'm taking it to the next level.

11. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    Coruscant, nobody else in the guild seems to have a problem with this. There's no reason to be upset. Everything is ok! Let's get back on topic alright?

12. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    How dare those moderators try to keep threads on topic!

A contest sounds good... I definitely would not participate, because I cannot write, nor do I really recognize good writing. But it would be interesting to read the entries anyways. I agree with those who said to keep the levels of scoring to a minimum. When I read something, I tend to think whether or not I liked it overall... I can't say I've ever separated characterization from plot from whatever else. Maybe in extreme cases, but the average of all those categories would be my overall ranking anyways. It might be worth noting a certain story's strong and weak points, but not to the point of assinging an individual ranking to each one.

13. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    I'm interested in helping to develop a contest that many of the users of the forum are interested in and want. As a moderator of this forum, that is one of my jobs. I am not stealing anything, just merely helping to facillitate. I think you're a little worked up over nothing there. Besides, even if you created a game and ran it all by yourself, you'd need moderator approval, and this way we can just work together from the earlier stages.

14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Um, whatever everyone finally decides...

I would not go with a 10 scale rating on various topics of how it is written, a simpler and easier "like, ok, dislike" or "good, average, poor, oustanding" something like that would suffice. K.I.S.S.

15. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Sep 27, 2002
    it was a bit of a suprise, i thought we should have kept it in the writers guild myself. I'm with Coruscant, but i want to write the competition regardless.

dkt

16. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    Honestly I don't think two threads is a good idea, we can talk about both in one and I don't know if the boards can support two threads right now, one will wither.

And yes, while Coruscant might be a little overdramatic I agree, it is a Guild competition.

-The Scummy-

17. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    In my eyes, the guild wasn't created to host a contest. If that was the case, then I'll happily lock this thread and redirect the discussion to the guild. But from your first post : "This is a thread for writers or potential writers of Sci-Fi or Fantasy to discuss ideas and writing styles etc."

Seemed to me like the guild was for discussion and help with writing.

18. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    I think two threads will work because in the guild we still get discussion and evaluation of our writing and talk about writing. The contest is just an entirely separate thing where some stories are submitted and judged. The guild doesn't have to run it.

19. -RebelScum-

Feb 21, 2004
    When I concieved the Guild is was for discussion, as well at possible contests or cooperative things. That is why is it called a Guild and not just Discussion Thread. :) And honestly I think a lock would be in order just because I think a contest is a perfectly suitable discussion for the Guild and I am afraid having two threads can't be supported by our current traffic.

No it is not seperate, the Guild concieved the contest.

-The Scummy-

20. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Well, I think this thread was a great idea because it was hard finding a talk about actual writing because everyone was talking about the contest. I like the idea of two or three threads rather than one, and I do think they will survive if there's enough interest. :)

21. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    Jairen just posted a good idea in the guild thread.

22. -RebelScum-

Feb 21, 2004
    I disagree. My vision was a strong writing community. Not two or three small communities.

-The Scummy-

23. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    Exactly Droideka.

The de-evolution of the Writer's Guild thread into just the competition, which seemed to be where it was headed, was not what I expected from a "Guild".

Having the competition in its own thread is a better way to go, it is more focused and will not get sidetracked by the more esoteric "So, third person omniscient, third person internal viewpoint, second person or first person, which is best?" style questions.

And boy, have you ever tried Second Person view point!

24. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    I would not go with a 10 scale rating on various topics of how it is written, a simpler and easier "like, ok, dislike" or "good, average, poor, oustanding" something like that would suffice. K.I.S.S.

Nice, subtle, that K.I.S.S. [face_plain]

I have to go to dinner, but first, a brief message before I return...

People, a competition would be the ideal thing to help the writers of the JC, in particular, the Guild, to improve. The contest is not purely about entertainment, fun, etc... it's not for only the reader's enjoyment, the judges' enjoyment, but the writers' use as well.

Please, please acknowledge this.

25. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    One thread doesn't necessarily mean it's one community. It's not dividing the community, only allowing more room for discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.