main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Shackled Past - Luke & Mara AU - Completed 10/28 - Voted Best Romance at the JC for 2001

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by RebelMom, Oct 22, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    This story started out as one idea and evolved into something else. It's different from other things I've written. I hope you will still enjoy it.

I would like to thank Jade's Hand (alias JT) for being my beta on this one. She has helped me iron out the rough spots and kept me on task. I would also like to thank Padawan Lunetta for helping me with the title and for being my faithful cheerleader.

Lots of disclaimers for this one. First and foremost, George Lucas and Timothy Zahn for my main characters. Also Daphne DuMaurier, Robert Sherwood, Terry Brooks and Alfred Hitchcock. Enough said there.

Setting is 15 years after A New Hope. This is an Alternate Universe story.
    As always feedback is appreciated. Thanks. On with the show.

SHACKLED PAST
    By RebelMom

Chapter 1

Luke Skywalker stood at the edge of the high precipice, listening to the crash of the waves below. The wind whipped his robe about his wiry body. He gazed down at his booted feet as he inched forward. His head jerked up when he heard a sound from behind him. So intent upon his own thoughts, he had failed to sense her approach.

"Luke! Stop!"

He swiveled to face her. The wind blew her luxurious red-gold hair back from her face revealing her fine features. Her concern was apparent. His barriers raised immediately as he narrowed his blue eyes. The intensity of his gaze caused her to raise her barriers as well. "What the Sith are you shouting for, Mara? Why are you here?"

"I was out for a walk. I could sense despair radiating from here so I came to check it out. I knew it was you."

Luke closed his eyes. He visibly relaxed but his barriers remained high. Mara Jade glanced nervously at the edge. As if in response, Luke moved away from it. Then, he opened his eyes. "I'm fine. Please continue your walk. I want to be alone."

Not sure if she could trust him, Mara came closer. She took his face in her hands and peered into his eyes. He was startled by the gesture but didn't flinch. The emanation of despair diminished to be replaced by sadness. She released her hold and said, "Be careful. Stay away from the edge. I'll see you later."

Luke stared at her retreating figure. His heart fluttered slightly and a feeling of hope escaped from deep within his lonely soul.

Talon Karrde sat with Mara at a table in the lounge of the hotel. He was detailing the contracts he had made with a Bith consortium while Mara stared blankly at her caf. Karrde stopped talking, but Mara didn't notice. He waved his hand in front of her face. "Mara? Felinx got your tongue?"

She blinked. "I'm sorry, Talon. What were you saying?"

"Mara. What's going on? Your body came back from your walk but I think your mind is still out there."

She glared at him. She was slightly insulted but he was correct. Her encounter with Skywalker on that cliff was dominating her thoughts. Her feelings were jumbled; she couldn't determine what to think about him. He appeared to be ready to step off the cliff. What really bothered her was the fact that she would have been devastated if he had. They had been friends for years but lately, she had been acknowledging her own desire to be more than just friends. She opened her mouth to say something but was cut off by Talon instead. "Well, look who just came in. Jedi Master Luke Skywalker himself."

Talon stood up and waved Luke over. Luke nodded politely and came over to the table. "Karrde. Mara. Nice to see you. How are you?"

Karrde answered, "Just fine. We're here for the trade conference of course. And you?"

Luke pulled up a chair and sat down. "A little research. About 4 months ago, archeologists uncovered some datacards that provided the history of Naboo. One of the rulers?"

Karrde interrupted. " A Queen Amidala had a connection to a certain Jedi, named Anakin Skywalker."

Luke shook his blond head. "Karrde, I'm amazed at the depth of your information sources."

The shocked Mara blurted out, "What! You found something about your mother."

Luke smiled and said, "I found her. At least, I found out who she was

2. jedipati

jedipati Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 12, 2000
    It better not be Leia that died. But I need to know who did.

3. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    You posted it!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D I have a guess who it is Jedipati.. but I'm not saying! :p Excellent Excellent work Rebelmommy!! (I'm impatiently looking forward to more!)

4. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    It's gotta be Leia that died. That's the only person whose death might make Luke suicidal, or at least make Mara think he might be.

Great intro Rebelmom. Looking forward to lots more.

5. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Heh heh heh. I love idle speculation, don't you, RM? I'm so glad to see it here. I loved it on the list and I'm sure I'll continue to do so.

Is it safe to assume that it's now finished?

6. Jaded Skywalker

Jaded Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 1999
    I am glad to see that you have started a new story! Great start!

(I am not to sure if it is Leia who died. You know how Rebelmom can twsit the plot up so her readers don't have an idea what is going to happen next)

JS

7. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    I think maybe Callista's dead, but I don't know.

8. Hope

Hope Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 1999
    I'm not sure *who* it is. It could be Leia or maybe Luke had a girlfriend or wife, since this is an AU, it could be anyone, but I think it's Leia.

It's always nice to see Karrde. I hope we see more of him.

Great start. More!

9. KnightMara

KnightMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 1999
    Oooooooh, this looks really promising.

Can't wait to see what develops, RebelMom!

10. Padawan_Di-Lee

Padawan_Di-Lee Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    This definitely looks good! I'm already hooked. Guess I'll be spending even more time on-line.

Can't wait for the next post!

11. womp_rat208

womp_rat208 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 1999
    Oh goody, another story! I'm glad I finally got my mom off the computer so I could check my typical sites (tf.n, espn.com, fanfic.net).

Hmm, I think that one of Luke's old flames died. Well, in this story it wouldn't be an old flame. Hmm. Gariel, Callista.

That or Leia is dead. Oh well. No big loss. *Ducks as stuff gets thrown* Kidding.

12. jedipati

jedipati Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 12, 2000
    Leia? No big loss?!!!! *Starts throwing rotten tomatoes.*

13. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Ooooooooo.......... (Y'know - like those little green guys from Toy Story.)

Great start! This is on the list? I gotta catch up over there! =)

14. womp_rat208

Nov 8, 1999
    List, what list?

BTW, in respones to above person (the one who is throwing tomatoes) I was JOKING.

15. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I love all the speculation. Sorry, Taramidala, it's not finished yet. I'm working on it but real life continues to rear its ugly head. I didn't have a life in the summer; much easier to write then. JT and Luney are both on my case to finish the next chapter so don't fret.

I'll put chapter 2 up later this week, say Wednesday.

Sorry, Womp-rat, you're too young to join the aforementioned list. You'll have to sweat with the others.

16. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Hey, RM. No big deal if you're not done yet! Heck, I've been writing one for 6 going on 7 years and am still not done. Now THAT'S slow! And now I've started another one. Oy.

Heh. All, look at all the little ones squirm. I love being over 18! :)

Can't wait to see more, RM. It's a great story (what I've seen of it anyway...)

17. Jee-dai

Jee-dai Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2000
    Legacy, hmm? I wonder if it's one of the Solo kids, especially little Anakin?

18. Artemis

Artemis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 20, 2000
    Hmm ... I must not be aware of this famed plot-twisting ability of yours, RebelMom, because I automatically assumed that it was Gaeriel dead and this is AU because it isn't in the novels. I'm waiting to find out what happens next!

19. Matt Windu

Matt Windu Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2000
    Cool, another RebelMom story! :)

I thought this looked familar, so I went and checked my archives and it was the same as on the aformentioned list.

Keep up the good work!!

20. Luke'sryb

Luke'sryb Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2000
    Shades of Rebecca (Not the Sunnybrook farm type) the Daphne DuMaurier version, somewhat but with a lot of Stars Wars added. Hee Hee....I love it.

21. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    *grin* You bet I'm bugging her!! hehehe Come on Mommy! Who needs sleep when you can write?!! ;)

22. womp_rat208

Nov 8, 1999
    Hehe, I agree with Padawan Lunetta. :D

Blast, someone metioned that blasted list again. Errr. I just wanna know what the heck it is! Ahh!

Oh well, I'll just enjoy the time I've got left to goof off. :D Which even now it's slowly slipping away. Reminds me of a song by dcTalk.

23. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    *I* know what the list is! :p!! ;) But I aint telling. (and no, I'm not a part of it. :p)

24. Jaded Skywalker

Jaded Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 1999
    I want to know about the list too! Or maybe I don't...

Anyways-

Can't wait for the next post, RebelMom!

JS

25. womp_rat208

Nov 8, 1999
    I'm waiting patiently. The last couple of times that you waited for a few days to pass, the story is wonderful when you finally post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.