main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Shackled Past - Luke & Mara AU - Completed 10/28 - Voted Best Romance at the JC for 2001

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by RebelMom, Oct 22, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    It was actually fun, and hard, to write JarJar. Thank goodness I had the EP 1 book to look up Gunganese.
    Herman- Does JarJar annoy you? And I'll deal with Leia later.
    KnightMara - I've got you wondering? that's great! I'm trying to be unpredictible but wait, if I say that you'll be expecting it so it will be predictible.
    Alderaan21 - Wow. I caught an Ani/Ami fan. Thanks for reading.

Also thank you Artemis,Padawan Di-lee, Womp Rat, Vergere, Jedi Jade, Keila, and Farraday

2. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    Loved the post, RebelMom!

3. mara03

mara03 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 10, 2000
    OMIGOODNESS...RebelMom, I was laughing throughout the Jar Jar scene. My roommate thought I was insane.

Can't believe I just found this story! Normally I would've passed it by because it was an AU, but

a.) thanks to Herman, Liz, and Gandolf, I've really become to appreciate AUs in ..oh..say the last week or so,

and

b.) you've been one of my favorite authors since I stepped foot in the fanfic boards.

Now, how am I gonna fit THIS story in my signature too? (I try to write down on the fics I'm reading at the moment) Grrr...hmm, well, I'll just delete "USJS" for now considering it's an ongoing story anyway. .. (sorry, USJSers)

Jen

4. jedi_yoda23

jedi_yoda23 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 30, 2000
    RebelMom, you write so beautifully!...and with, what, 2 jobs now?! Wow! I'm loving every minute of it!

(mara03, my roomie must think i'm crazy too! there's always a smile plastered on my face when i'm on the boards! He he he....they just don't get it!)

5. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    i KNOW J_Y23, and i don't think they'll ever understand...its when they get the glazed look on their eyes when you start explaining how excited you are about BP, or how Luke and MAra are married now, but mara used to be the Emperor's Hand...

more rebelmom? more please? more pretty please with a cherry on top?

(oh yes i think im gonna have to add this to my sig with a reccomendation)

6. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Mara03! Have I caught a lurker?! ;) And Rebelmom, the Queen Of Romance, the Best Surrogate mother and beta reader a luney could hope for! ;) IS IT TOMORROW YET?!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Luke'sryb

Luke'sryb Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2000
    Jar Jar does it again. Poor Luke....how many times does he have to tell that Gungan that he is not Ani but Luke. Has it ever occurred to him to inform the Gungan that he is Ani's son?

8. mara03

Jun 10, 2000
    Lune: it's more like you've caught a late-comer to many stories on the board. (I usually try to give feedback and post, b/c I know how much *I* appreciate it). Well, then again, I haven't commented much on your story . .. ::jen wanders over to Jysella's realm::

Jen

9. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    I think Luke was a bit distracted by his marriage that he didn't think that Ani could be any kind of derivative of Anakin. But don't fret, I'll deal with it later. I'm such a procrastinator.
    Now for those who haven't started reading Balance Point for one reason or another, I'll put up Ch. 4.

Chapter 4

As soon as Mara entered the anteroom of Karrde's suite, he beckoned for her to be seated. Prior to sitting down himself, he gave her a snifter of brandy and exclaimed, "A toast to our fine work. The organization has been awarded the distribution rights for this excellent Dornean brandy."

Mara smiled brightly and clinked her glass with Talon's. Peering at her over the brim of his snifter, Talon decided to confirm his suspicions. He stated, "I saw you leave with Skywalker last night."

"Yes. We went for a walk." She paused to gather her thoughts. She had always been forthright with Karrde and she wasn't going to be any different now. "We got married last night. I'm here to tender my resignation." She felt a little pang of guilt at being so brusque with him, but she didn't know any other way to tell him.

Though his face revealed nothing, she felt his shock through the force. She had to smile at him then said, "It's not often I provide you with information about which you had no foreknowledge. Surprised about my resignation or my marriage?"

Karrde shook his head. "Actually, a little surprised at both. I suspected something but I've never envisioned you as one to succumb to a whirlwind romance."

"I didn't succumb to a whirlwind romance. I can continue in my current role in order to give you sufficient time to find and train a replacement. Luke understands my commitment to the organization and loyalty to you."

Karrde smiled tightly. "I'm glad to hear that. Thank you for your offer to help. I think we can work up a schedule to faze you out of the organization."

"Great. I'll be keeping the suite. You can contact me there."

Before she could leave, Karrde's comlink beeped. "Karrde here. What is it Dankin?"

A tinny voice answered. "Wanted to warn you that Lando Calrissian is on his way to see you. He wants to discuss a business proposition."

"Thanks Dankin. Karrde out."

Mara hissed. "Calrissian. Talk about a droch that gets under my skin. I'm going to leave before he gets here. After that Jorj Car'das search, I have no desire to ever see him again. Except in my blaster sight."

"I don't think that will happen considering his connection with Solo and Skywalker."

Mara grimaced. "Yeah, don't remind me. Though I would like to see his reaction when he finds out about my marriage."

Talon laughed. "It might dissuade him. I have a feeling that he will have a different reaction to your news than me."

Mara patted her lightsaber. "I have ways to dissuade him."

Karrde raised his eyebrows. "Not a very Jedi-like response."

Mara stood up and said, "I'm not a Jedi yet. I'll get back to you later."

Karrde watched as she turned to leave the room. "Mara. Remember that you will always be a part of the organization and there will always be a place for you."

His words warmed her and she was touched by his kindness. Pausing, she looked over her shoulder and said, "Thanks Talon. I won't forget."

Once in the corridor, she closed her eyes, reached out and latched on to Luke's presence. Smiling, she sent him loving thoughts to which he responded in kind. She hurried to join him, anxious to avoid a chance encounter with Calrissian.

Mara found Luke in their suite. The lead archeologist, Sabella Ollie, had contacted him with news that the cryptographers had almost cracked the code on the datadiscs. He wanted Mara to accompany him so together they entered the Naboo Library with great expectations. They waited in a conference room as Sabella set up the data transmitter. "Once they break the code, we can view the data on this screen. Sio assured me that it would be done within the hour."

And Sio was true to his word, for in less than an hour later, data began to appear on the screen. Na

10. Maru-Ba

Maru-Ba Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2000
    this is an awesome story RM keep up the good work, but a question. was the addtion of luke and callista being married of yours? i know its AU but i didn't think they ever got that serious her running away in all.
    Maru

11. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    hmmm...could this be a source of tension between L&M? This is a great story, RebelMom. I can't wait to read more. Keep up the great work. :)

12. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Nice insight on Anakin not being able to get over his former status as a slave.

Is this Sabella Olie a descendent of the legendary Ric Olie?

And who would be so foolish as to speak ill of Mara when she's not on the other side of the galaxy. She shoulda got up and whooped some arse.

Finally how come Callista always gets a bad rap? This question basically goes out to the Callista haters out there. You know who you are.

13. Jedi Master Mara Jade

Jedi Master Mara Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1999
    Great writing, Rebelmom! I'm so glad that Luke found out about his past; that kind of plotline always intrigues me and is just all around cool. (Hey, I wrote a fic about it!) Old Binks is kinda funny... =D

Keep up the nice work. Good characterization.

14. Jedi-Jade

Jedi-Jade Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 1999
    Once more, excellent work! :)

15. womp_rat208

womp_rat208 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 1999
    Wow. That was great! Hmm, a wee bit jelous right there at the end?

I'm not going to beg for more, since by the time I read any of this again, I'll be way behind and have plenty to read.

16. Padawan_Di-Lee

Padawan_Di-Lee Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    Good post again! I'll be back for more!

17. mara03

Jun 10, 2000
    Oooh, I just realized..good work in having Jar Jar say "But Ani marries Padme" not "But Anakin marries Amidala!" Can you imagine Luke's reaction if he had said that?

Jen

18. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Maru-Ba : The AU part of the story starts at Planet of Twilight. Basically, Callista stays with Luke and marries him, instead of running off again. They had a very serious relationship in the 2 previous books, Children of the Jedi and Darksaber. More explanation will come later in the story.

Idiots Array: Could be.

Herman: She could be. I just wanted some naboo names for the locals.
    Mara is learning to be a jedi, thus she didn't whoop arse. But she wanted to.
    I'm shooting for as accurate characterization of Callista as I can muster. More explanation later in the story.

Jedi Master Mara Jade: Thanks. I've been reading your story. Got more?

Jedi Jade: Thanks.

WompRat: Thanks. Mara was ticked. How long you going to be gone? I'm not writing that fast.

Padawan Di-Lee: Thanks.

Mara03: That's why I had him say that.

Okay, for chapter 5, I'll try for Friday. (I'm not a Jedi, so no Yoda quotes please). Thanks again to all who are reading and wondering where I'm going. I love it.

19. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Do or do not...*stops self* Oops! ;) Rebelmom, you spoil us with Ch 4! Which was a beautifully crafted chapter,

20. Jaded Skywalker

Jaded Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 1999
  21. JEDIAKASH

JEDIAKASH Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2000
    Aww, no Yoda quotes. *The galaxy sighs in relief* Great chapter, and nice self-control on Mara's part. Imagine that situation in the beginning of Heir to the Empire. Scary. I don't mind the wait at all, it's well worth it.

22. Keila_

Keila_ Jedi Master star 2

Jul 1, 2000
    Great post RebelMom, I like the way you portrayed Mara... glad to see she's learning to control herself, though I agree Jediakash... it would have been intersting to watch if Mara gave in to her natural tendencies :D

23. Hope

Hope Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 1999
    I don't hate Callista, but I would hate to see Callista come between Luke and Mara.

up!

24. JEDIAKASH

JEDIAKASH Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2000
    The dead don't have as hard a time as one would think in hindering the living.

25. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    again a great post, RebelMom!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.