main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Shackled Past - Luke & Mara AU - Completed 10/28 - Voted Best Romance at the JC for 2001

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by RebelMom, Oct 22, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alderaan21

Alderaan21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 1998
    Wonderful post, RM! I like how Luke's finally able to uncover some details on his past... and Mara grabbing Luke in front of Lando like that was utterly classic. :D

2. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I wonder what Jar Jar will tell Luke...?

This is a good way to use Jar Jar, rather than killing him.

3. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    well i am very very disoriented with this new format...what is up with those stupid sigs, you can't even put a link in one line! and i lost all my active thread notifications...so that kinda ruined my night...........

i will try to organize myself and find all my stories, and i will be back! (check out my sig...HINT HINT! ;))

4. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Now why can't I find a chick who'll just walk up and plant one on me and then swat my tush?

"Let him jump." LOL! That was a great line RebelMom.

It's good to see Luke learning about his parents.

A lot of dark foreshadowing hidden in this one Rebelmom. What have you got up your sleeve?

5. JEDIAKASH

JEDIAKASH Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2000
    Not too demanding with woman choices are we Herman? Great post RebelMom, and very amusing to see Lando sputtering so. He needed it. More is always welcome, and very much appreciated. (This is a polite way of saying POST SOON) :)

6. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Maul Brady: 3:30am! Couldn't put it down, could you? Hey, its okay. I couldn't either.

Keila: I did make you wait till Monday. It is Monday now. Where is everyone?

Senator Lorena: Welcome. Glad you could come in and read.

Jaded Skywalker: Thank you.

Vergere: That hand scene was my version of history repeating itself. I can guarantee you that the ssi ruuk have absolutely nothing to do with this story. I was confused by the new format also. And thank you for the advertisement. That's sweet of you.

Jedi Amoira: Thank you and welcome.

Uisceban: Its Monday. Don't cry.

Hope: BP was great wasn't it? Why would I let you all know who drugged Luke so soon? I've learned alot from these boards, one of those things being how to string out the readers and torture them. Muahahaha... *cough* I'm sorry I get carried away sometimes.

JediCrazy: Thank you. It took me time to get the nerve to post anything the first time. You never know until you try. Nobody gets flamed here.

Maru-Ba: Thank you, I think. I hope the funny doesn't happen at the wrong time.

Alderaan21: Thank you. Luke does deserve to learn something. That Lando scene was a fun one to write.

Jedi Liz: What will he say indeed? Can't say.

Herman: You calling Mara a chick? Ohhh. Better get some armor. Something up my sleeve? Just my arm. The dark foreshadowing really does have a purpose, just can't reveal it yet.

Jediakash: We all love to tease Lando. Thank you.

Chapter 7 just came back from my beta and needed a little reconstruction on a new character. I'll let you know later when I'll post it. Thank you all for reading and responding.

7. Padawan_Di-Lee

Padawan_Di-Lee Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    I loved Mara's show for Lando! I'm sure Luke did, too. :) I'll stay tuned for more.

8. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    lol...Mara sure showed Lando. :)

Great post RebelMom. I can't wait to read the next chapter.

9. Uisceban

Uisceban Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2000
    I was jumping up and down with excitement when I saw you had made another post. Loved it! This plot it really different then most.
    Great. Encore! Looking forward to the next part.

10. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Jediakash, what are you thinking, being polite?! ;) And I *love* that Lando part too, *grin* I can just picture his face. :D And Lukies too, :D And MOMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT THE NEXT PART!!! Pwease?! It'll make mesa content. ;)

11. KnightMara

KnightMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 1999
    Ooooh, dark forshadowing with a purpose. . . .mesa like!

Seriously, this is great, RebelMom!

12. JEDIAKASH

Oct 3, 2000
    Hey, what can I say, Lunetta? I'm a nice guy, but you won't catch me trying to improve a facade of benevolence or anything like that. :) I hope this night does herald a post, but life moves far too swiftly to predict. Take your time.

13. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Okay I'll post but it's not the kind you're looking for. Chapter 7 will be up on Thursday.

Thank you. Hopefully I can keep everyone interested. I'm really trying to write a good story. Luke and Mara keep taking me in different directions but it is all working according to my design. *snicker*

Thank you Padawan Di-Lee, Idiots Array,Uisceban, Padawan Lunetta, KnightMara and Jediakash.

See you all on Thursday

14. JediCrazy

JediCrazy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    WOW. That was great. Like everyone else, i loved the scene between lando, luke, and mara. It shows mara true side. alot of writers that have mara and luke together forget that she used to be real brash and even rude at times. :) they take that mara then all of a sudden turn her into a goody 2 shoes in like one day. you made her real character stand out still. You show that she's trying to change her ways but she's still got some of that ole self still in her. wonderfully done!!!! LOL I'll be back thur looking for more. thanks for the amazing bed time story.. :)

15. Keila_

Keila_ Jedi Master star 2

Jul 1, 2000
    LOL! Great post RebelMom! I loved the scene with Lando, Luke and Mara - and its good to see Luke *finally* figure out the Jar-Jar connection.
    Eagerly awaiting your next post...

16. Maul Brady

Maul Brady Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 1999
    Uupppppppperssssssssss!

17. JEDIAKASH

Oct 3, 2000
    Tomorrow cannot come soon enough; actually it can never come, but that is a matter of semantics. ;) I am very eager to see the next post, RebelMom, and sick to death of endless prattling and politics. A welcome break from that, most definitely.

18. Jaded Skywalker

Jaded Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 1999
    Ah, Luke and Mara stories, my escape from politics. I can't wait for your post Thursday! Maybe by then we can finally have elected a president of the USA! See ya tomorrow!

JS

19. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Just realized that today was Thursday and that I promised a new chapter. So being as I do my best to keep my word here it is.

Chapter 7:

The weather turned nasty during the speeder trip to the outskirts of town, where Jar Jar Binks lived. The rain pelted the speeder with a steady rhythm and the sky darkened as heavy clouds gathered. A bolt of lightning sparked across the horizon, reminding Mara of the force lightning wielded by C'baoth on Wayland. She saw Luke grimace in remembrance of his encounter with Palpatine on the Death Star. Her danger sense flared and she reached for the dashboard to steady herself, as Luke swerved the speeder to avoid an ikpoi that had stopped in the middle of the road. The neck-less animal shook its antlered head at the speeder then leaped off the road. A crash was averted but her danger sense hadn't ceased. Luke chanced to glance at her and she saw his concerned expression. He too was sensing danger ahead.

The speeder lurched to a stop in front of an ancient dwelling. Mara could see the old Gungan standing outside his door. When he saw them, he waved rapidly, bouncing up and down at the same time. Mara looked at Luke who was still agitated. Something wasn't right. They scanned the area for danger and located none. The precipitation had decreased and a few rays of sun sliced through the cloud cover. Exiting the speeder, Luke and Mara kept their pace slow so as not to startle Jar Jar. Luke approached him first and held his hand out in greeting. "Hello, Jar Jar. Thank you for agreeing to speak with us."

Jar Jar's bulbous eyes blinked heavily. "Heydey ho. Welcome."

Luke smiled and said, "Thank you."

As they walked into the staid room, Mara felt her danger sense blare. Stopping briefly at a table and retrieving something out of a box, Jar Jar started talking again. "Mesa thank yous for dis gift."

Luke stiffened at Jar Jar's statement. "Gift?"

Jar Jar had crossed the room and plopped into a chair. "Maccaneks bring dis box. Dey looken good." He took a bite out of a piece of fruit that he had held in his hand.

Mara lifted the lid and looked inside to see a few pear- shaped fruits resting on indented cushions. One was missing. She recognized them instantly: moonglow. Fear formed in the pit of her stomach and she looked frantically to Luke. They both turned horrified faces to look at Jar Jar and had their worst suspicions confirmed. The old Gungan was slumped in his chair, his head lolled to the left and his rough tongue handing out the side. Luke went up to Jar Jar and placed his hands on the Gungan's head. Luke hung his head in sorrow; he was too late. The poison had run its course, quickly and painlessly. No life remained in the Gungan but at least he hadn't suffered.

Regretfully, Mara shook her head. Why did this happen? She looked at the box again and noticed a small card on the top. She picked it up and read it. 'To Jar Jar. Thank you for your help. From Luke and Mara Skywalker.'

Theed Security dispatched a coroner who confirmed what Luke and Mara already suspected: Instantaneous death from ingestion of improperly processed moonglow. The detective assigned to the case, Ric Tarpals, insisted that Luke and Mara come to the station for questioning. In light of the fact that the murder weapon bore their names, it was a foregone conclusion. They were more than willing to answer any questions but the antagonism of the Gungan officers present made them uneasy.

The situation didn't improve at the station. An assimilated Gungan, Tarpals had completed extensive security training with the Naboo and was determined to catch the perpetrator. He separated Luke and Mara, putting each in their own interrogation cell. Mara was irritated but knew they would be exonerated. She opened up her force sense to touch Luke but found nothing. Ysalamiri. That meant that the Security forces knew they were Jedi and knew that they would be in the station. Shavit. They were being set up. She paced the room in an attempt to cool her rising anger. First, the spice, now moonglow and

20. Padawan_Di-Lee

Padawan_Di-Lee Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    The plot thickens! Poor Jar Jar. Was he just in the wrong the place, or is there something in Luke's family past that someone doesn't want him to know? Hmmm.

Good scene between L&M! Some things here in fanfic are just sooo much better than in the EU. Your characterization of L&M's relationship is one of them!

21. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    Oooh, poor Jar Jar. I bet someone forged Luke's handwriting and someone else impersonated Mara.

That is so sad.

22. JEDIAKASH

Oct 3, 2000
    This isn't Shira Brie rearing her ugly head again, is it? Yeah, I actually felt sorry for Jar-Jar, even though I didn't really like him in the movie. That speaks volumes about your writing ability, RebelMom. :) Great story, and I'm sure it will get even better. When more is added on, that is...

23. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    This is a great story, RebelMom. Keep up the good work.

24. Uisceban

Uisceban Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2000
    Oooo I am now addicted to this.

25. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Just a little update. I have posted everything that I had completed to date. Now I have to write more. I am in the middle of Ch. 8 and will hopefully have that completed and sent to JT tonight or tomorrow morning. Once I get it back from her, I'll fix it up and post it. I don't have an estimate yet. so sorry but I will let you know when I can.

Thanks to:
    Jedicrazy: Thank you. I have had to work hard on getting her to be in character.
    Keila: Luke was distracted the first time he met JarJar.
    Maul Brady: Tthhaannkk yyoouu.
    Jediakash: No politics here. That's Leia's department. Luke and Mara just save the galaxy. Thanks for the comment on JarJar; others have made the same. And I'll tell you now, Shira Brie doesn't appear in this story in any way, shape or form.
    Jaded Skywalker: Still no president. This story is pure escapism. Yeah.
    Padawan Di-Lee: Poor JarJar was unfortunate. I'll be getting to why later in the story. Luke and Mara are fun to write.
    JediLiz: Good deductions. But you won't know who until later. I wanted his death to be sad. I wanted him to have an impact, he was an important character who held many answers.
    Idiots Array: Thank you.
    Uisceban: Sorry, I don't have your fix. You'll be strung out a few days

Lurkers: Drop a line occasionally. I crave feedback. I also want to know who's out there.
    Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.