main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Shadows of the Apt Saga

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by JEDI-SOLO, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    From Amazon.com's description of Book 1: Empire in Black and Gold:

On a world populated by human-insect and human-arachnid creatures, each type of kinden has special powers and aptitudes. The otherwise average Stenwold Maker, a Beetle kinden, is caught up in extraordinary times, full of violence and impending war with the Wasps. He takes it upon himself to create a small cadre of resistance fighters before it is too late. Unfortunately, he?s considered a crackpot, those in power ignore. But he spins his web and becomes a spymaster, doing his best to prepare for the onslaught he anticipates. Each person selected for his group has a tale, and Tchaikovsky develops each slowly, drawing the reader into the lives of each and hinting that there is more to discover. There is a continual sense of urgency and danger, yet there is also time for love and friendship. The story is quickly paced, more than keeps one?s interest, and leaves one looking forward to the next book of Shadows of the Apt to learn more about the characters and how the conflict develops.

I have this first book and the reviews from Amazon have painted most of these books in a rather favorable light. I think I will be reading this next after I finish Silverthorn by Feist. I was wondering what any of yall think about these books as I know a few of yall have mentioned them in the past. Plus I didnt see a thread for this saga yet.

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Bugs freak me out, so this probably won't be my thing. But I'm interested to see what you think!

3. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Ofcourse...TYPICAL GIRL gets scared of bugs!!! :)

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
  5. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I started reading them, and got maybe four books in. They weren't bad, but they didn't really have enough narrative momentum to keep me reading.

6. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Hmm thats not good. Ive started the first earlier today. Way to soon to form an impression other then it has been hard to picture some of the things so far. A boxed "heliothopter and canvased winged othopter"? I cant really grasp them yet among other things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.