main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Shadows of the Empire," by DHC, LucasArts, Bantam, Et. al. [Various, 1996]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by Genghis12, Oct 22, 2003.

?

"Shadows of the Empire," by DHC, LucasArts, Bantam, Et. al. [Various, 1996]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10

41.5%
  2. 9

14.5%
  3. 8

18.1%
  4. 7

8.8%
  5. 6

5.2%
  6. 5

3.1%
  7. 4

3.1%
  8. 3

2.1%
  9. 2

0.5%
  10. 1

3.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediStarKiller2

JediStarKiller2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2006
    I gave it an 9 it was very good and helped me visualize what really went on between films...

But I didn't like how we invested most of our time into Xizor and Dash only to have two cheap and crappy deaths at the end.

2. THE_PIED_PIPER

THE_PIED_PIPER Chapter Rep Knoxville, TN star 4

Jun 8, 2006
    This is one of my favorite Star Wars Novels. First it's set within the original trilogy so even if your not into the EU, you can still understand it. Second, the character development for Xizor is great as a villian. He's very manipulative and cunning. Lastly, its very well written because of the way it runs straight into episode XI. It flows perfect and you never miss a beat.

This book is a must read for every Vader fan. He is alive and kicking...and not taking any crap. Whatever you do don't mess with his kid...or he gets real, :mad: and fast. As Prince Xizor found out.

Before the prequels this was the first real glimpse that we got of Vaders former life and Anakin Skywalker as a person. I also liked the introduction of Dash Rendar, and the way Lando is presented in the book. You can also see how much Luke Skywalker grew between Episodes V & XI.

Kudos to Steve Perry, I wish he would write more Star Wars Novels. He really captures the spirit of the Original Trilogy in this novel.

THE PIED PIPER

3. Darth_gloom

Darth_gloom Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2005
    Gave it a five because it's an entertaining read, but Dash Rendar=bleh, Vader being intimidated by Xizor?, etc. Could have been a lot better, and I mean A LOT.

4. Daniel0605

Daniel0605 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2006
    Shadows of the Empire was a pretty good book, but it was too
    predictable.

5. Garrett_Skymaster

Garrett_Skymaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 22, 2006
    I gave it a 10. This would have made a great movie, if it had come out about 14 years earlier. I read the book after beating the game. Over the course of the game, I came to realize that Dash Rendar, who at first glance appears to be only a shallow Han Solo clone, is deeper than he appears. Han chose to help Chewbacca, and thus earn the enmity of the Empire, Dash had no choice. When his brother crashed into Palpatine's museum, his whole family is banished from the core, and all their assets were given to Xizor. He must have felt betrayed by that which he once trained to protect. I feel he dealt with that by not letting anyone get to close to him, by burying his feelings under a facade of cockiness, and swagger. I was genuinly moved when I read about his apparent death, and greatly relieved to discover that, according to canon, he survived. Xizor is well represented as a cold, calculating, genius. I enjoyed both characters, and don't see what flaws people find in them.

All in all, this is one of my all time favorite books, and I highly recommend it for anyone who consider's themself a Star Wars fan.

6. anakinskywalkerhalo1

anakinskywalkerhalo1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2007
    should Lucasfilm make a movie of this?

7. JainaRox

JainaRox Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2006
    shadows is all right.

8. Regan21286

Regan21286 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 18, 2003
    It was a good book. The soundtrack for this book was also pretty good to listen to while reading it.

9. TK421124KT

TK421124KT Jedi Master

May 21, 2007
    This book is pretty meh. I don't think he painted a good picture of Luke Leia or anyone really. And most of the action in the first have of the book was about what a badass Xizor is, which he didn't really turn out to be at the end. Gave it a 5.

10. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  11. jbrewste

jbrewste Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2007
    9/10

I really enjoyed this one. Very easy to get into and doesn't require any background other than the movies. It was really fast paced with many chapters. I could read just a little or a lot and didn't have trouble finding a good stopping point, although it was hard to put down. I thought it flowed very well with the movies, hooking right up to ROTJ. The R2/3P0 Falcon flying scene was funny. Love that relationship.
    One of the main, if few, problems I had was with the Emperor. I didn't like that he kept siding with Xizor. Through the prequels we see how apparently fond of Anakin the Emperor is/was. The relationship between the two in this book kind of diminished that relationship to me. Also, something quirky I noticed was that the phrase "oh man" kept being used. Dash being a Han clone didn't bother me too much. The only likeness I noticed was the, only doing this to be paid, attitude. They're both cocky, but Dash seemed so much more cocky than Han to me.

12. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    It was a 10 for me too. I thought it captured the spirit of the movies and explored Vader in a more realistic way. It gets tiring to read "here's Vader: slash, bash, fist, stomp, whamo! Defeated" *Rebels celebrate* *Emperor chastises Vader for failing and then, 'but it was just as I foresaw, all is going according to my plan'. Ho hum. So this was cool, Vader evil - yes; but someone who redemption is a possibility? - yes. Xizor's triumph turned to ashes - brilliant. I also thought that Vader handled Xizor perfectly - he allowed him enough rope to tie himself up and then hung him with hit. That is the strategist Vader was supposed to be (back from the clone wars days). So all in all I was pleased with the tale. Classic line: "Prince Xizor!" -- "you can keep that title for two more minutes" LOL...I was cracking up!

13. HemDazon90

HemDazon90 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2008
    10/10 friggin amazing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.