main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Shadows of the Empire-----Why?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dark_Faith, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_Faith

Dark_Faith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2004
    Remember back in 1996, ten years ago, LFL had a big multi-media project for Shadows of the Empire. They published books, comics books, a soundtrack, a video game, a poster...Hell, when I was a kid, I thought they were making a new movie off it.

Now what I'm asking is....Why? Why did LFL decide to hype up Shadows of the Empire and milk it out like crazy? I'm reading the book now and its not THAT great. I mean, what made them choose THIS to turn into a multi-media project, and why?

Another question is what came first? The novel, video game, the comic, or the soundtrack?

Thanks.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    To build up interest in SW in the general public for the Special Editions which came out a year later, and the Prequels which came out 3 years later.

And for the money. LFL is, after all, a business.

3. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    The novel came first, but I'm thinking the idea to really do a major, multimedia project was probably kicking around before the book, and they just rallied behind the concept of the novel.

4. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    All incarnations were developed concurrently, if I remember right.

Why, though? Who knows why. Well, to make money, obviously, but I've no idea why they designed such an awful story to multimedia about. Lucas Licensing works in mysterious ways.

5. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    SOTE is one of my favorite novels of the EU. The game and soundtrack aren't too bad either.

Yep..

6. Darth_Angle

Darth_Angle Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 13, 2006
    It was all quite average I thought. Although I've never heard the soundtrack. As books go it was ordinary. I liked the Micro-Machines toys and the game wasn't a patch on Dark Forces.

7. The2ndRest-in-Peace

The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    Right- the idea was to make "a movie without the movie", so you had the novel, comic, and video game adaptations, the soundtrack, the trading cards, the making of and artwork books, the action figures, etc. Hell, they even made a trailer for SOTE, but ended up not putting it into wide release because they didn't want to confuse the general public into thinking there really was a SOTE movie being made (it was only shown at cons and on QVC specials cohosted by Sansweet).

None of the SOTE sources "came first" (though some may have been released/published earlier, but everything was basicly within the same year), they specificly divided the SOTE story up across the three main mediums- so the main movie characters would be the focus of the novel, while the comics would focus on Boba Fett's story (who was otherwise absent from the novel) and the video game would cover Dash's story. It's also why the novel and comic leads you to believe Dash died, whereas the game reveals he survived.

The soundtrack is quite awesome, though I wish Dash's Theme had it's own separate track- the brief use of it at the end of Beggar's Canyon Chase was awesome, but way too brief.

It's also interesting for the Dha Werda Verda alien poem used for chorus lyrics in The Destruction of Xizor's Palace, which were written by Ben Burtt (and even tied into his character from the Droids cartoon), the story of which now forms the ancient history of the Mandalorians.

8. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000

True, if you beat the game on the higher difficulty setting.

9. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Yep.

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If you are really curious about the behind-the-scenes information on SOTE, check out
    this book. It's a good look at what went into creating the whole project.

whostheBossk likes this.
  11. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    Yep, nice book (and certainly worth the few bucks fo which it now sells!). For me, the best part of SotE was the soundtrack...

12. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Whenever somebody looks through my CD collection, they always pause on the Shadows soundtrack, stuck in between my ESB and ROTJ soundtracks. It generally takes severl minutes to explain what it is and then justify my purchase of it. Although normally, "Cuz it's Star Wars" works just fine. :p

And don't forget the action figure line! They were some of the first EU figures IIRC. Oddly enough, the Dash Rendar figure was the only one I never got.

13. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

On a board where everyone complains how things aren't "Star Wars Like" enough all the time, I find it odd that Shadows of the Empire isn't that well recieved. I thought it to be very Star Wars like. The Book, the Soundtrack, and the Comic. Havn't played the game, so I do not know. As far as Novels go, I think it's good, especially for being pretty early EU. Challenging to do a "Big Three" story with one of the "Big Three" stuck in Carbonite. ;) At times I thought they captured Leia's thoughts perfectly when she was with Xizor. "Watch your step Princess".

Carnage

14. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    The book has one of my all time favorite EU scenes - Vader in his meditation chamber focusing the dark side on healing his lungs. He's able to take a couple of breaths and that makes him very happy. But when he gets happy he loses his grip on the dark side and begins coughing and needs his mask again. Pretty much the first time that Vader was painted as a man and not just a killing machine.

15. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    SOTE, then NJO, then LOTF: this is what you get if you let the marketing managers make up the stories.

16. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    Wow, that SOTE trailer is bad enough to make the Vector Prime one seem like a masterpiece. I'd still like to see the rumoed JAT commercial, though...

17. The2ndRest-in-Peace

The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    It's not a rumor- there was one. But I only ever saw it once, on thanksgiving that year, alas...

18. WhoYaGonnaCall37

WhoYaGonnaCall37 Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2006
    The real question is SOTE------Why not more multimedia SW events?

Come on! I want Legacy and KOTOR Novels, games, Tales-style-comics, etc. I want Star Wars: CF9 Crossfire Remnant

19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Not to get too far off topic, but this thread inspired me to go off and pursue my geek impulse to look up the lyrics to "Dha Werda Verda" and compare them to the actual soundtrack. I found that none of the lyrics match up to anything the chorus is singing, neither in Xixor's Theme nor in the Destruction of Xizor's Palace.

Did Ben Burtt base the lyrics off the soundtrack, or did he just make something up off the top of his head?

20. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    And it was a big event because it was between movies and thus could be marketed to people with no EU experience.

21. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    We.... are... being.... watched....

23. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I remember that Lucas mentioned that if this was around when he was working on the OT, he might have made it.

24. Vicu

Vicu Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2004
    SOTE was the first star wars novel i read, and to this dday it's still a favorite of mine. The way the story was told accross multiple medias was inspired.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I loved SotE. Xizor was overrated, but he got exactly what was coming to him--proving that all his delusions were just that. That's good.

I had a very OT feel to it, and I love the OT period, so it's perfect.

Hah!

EDIT: Anyone recognize this image? It's the first one in TOS's SotE thing, but I don't know what it's supposed to be. I can place the rest of the images, but not that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.