main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Shadows of the Future: TPM, Time-travel AU- Obi/Ani/Qui bonding- complete, 6/6!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by stormqueen874, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stormqueen874

stormqueen874 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2005
    Shadows of the Future
    By: Stormqueen

Timeframe: Starts out at the end of RotS, then shifts to about the middle of TPM
    Genre: Big ole fat AU, with lots of humor, angst, and family bonding stuff- I feel like it's a mix of everything.
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, nine year old Anakin, and a touch of Mace, Yoda, and Padme.
    Disclaimer: Nothing belongs to me; it's all property of the Great Bearded One. I'm just borrowing the characters for a short stint; I swear to put them back when I'm done.

Notes: It's been a while since I posted anything, hasn't it? Well, welcome to my epic. I started this thing over a year ago after I saw RotS and felt like my heart had been ripped out, which automatically makes me want to search for/ write fanfiction. I started to explore reasons why Anakin turned in the first place, and kept coming up with the same conclusion, which will be examined in this fic. It deals with lots of "What ifs?" and starts with the "What if Anakin had succeeded during the duel on Mustafar?" and then leads into the "What if Obi-Wan, instead of dying, found himself sucked back in time over ten years?" Hope you all enjoy it; I tried to put everything I had into this fic, and I'm extremely proud of the results. :)

A very big thanks to Nienna, Wyn, and Alethia, who all helped me beta this monster in some way, shape, or form. I know it took a long time, considering the length, but it was worth every minute. So thanks you guys; you're the best! *hugs*

Now, without further ado, I present for your enjoyment a trailer and the prologue. :D

Shadows of the Future trailer

[image=http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/stormqueen873/0319b112.jpg]

Prologue
    Time: 13 years after the Naboo Crisis
    Place: Mustafar

Why?

Obi-Wan pondered the question silently, air rushing up around him and the wind roaring in his ears as he stared up at the receding catwalk. Ana- no, Vaderâ??s face sneered down at him and the Sithâ??s laughter rang out, sending chills down Obi-Wanâ??s spine. It was sad, he decided absently. Anakin had been such a charismatic young man, and to see him reduced to something so vile, so twisted, was a true crime.

Why did you do this?

A crime against what though, Obi-Wan really didnâ??t know. His mind was behaving oddly, which was why, he decided, he was moving so slowly. Gravity on Mustafar was no different from what would be considered normal, as the planet was the same relative size and mass as most populated worlds. Surely his mind was playing tricks on him, or he had to be defying a natural law. While the wind in his ears was awfully loud, Vader didnâ??t seem to be getting any further away. What was happening to him?

Why did you betray us?

Obi-Wan decided that he was dying. Everything was slowing down because his brain had decided to draw out his last moments, to savor the few seconds he had still to live. Surely that was a rational thing for the brain to want to do; surely he was still being rational?

Why did you kill everyone?

Obi-Wan frowned slightly; why was he falling in the first place? Was he even truly falling? There was a catwalk above him that he dimly remembered standing on and he knew there was a river of molten lava somewhere down below him. But what had happened? Had he been pushed? Had Vader pushed him?

Why didnâ??t you spare anyone, even innocent children?

Obi-Wan thought for a moment. Yes, he decided, Vader had pushed him, as theyâ??d been dueling. It had been quite foolish of them, to do so near lava, completely exposed to the toxins it released and unprotected from the heat. Yet theyâ??d been dueling just the same, taking out their anguish and frustrations in the only way they truly knew how. Neither of the two really talked to each other, after all, when it came to dealing with their emotions.

Why do you hate us so?

Someone was screaming.

ClaudiaR likes this.
  2. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Oh, wow! That was FANTASTIC!

I read it the first time all the way through, and it was very moving, very chilling.

Then I just read the italics and it was very sad, distraught, heart wrenching.

Then I read it without the italics. It was very intense, very emotive.

And I must say it was very good all three ways.

Stupendous job!!! =D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D=

Please please please give me a PM when you update! [face_praying]

3. G__Anakin

G__Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2006
    Looks intresting

PM me when you update if you're able to

4. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    (I'm going to keep this brief, as a huge storm came through not long ago and the power is less than reliable at the moment...)

Yay! I'm so glad to see this up! [face_dancing] This story is amazing through and through - just thought you should know that. ;)

This prologue especially is so haunting. I love the unique style with the italicized voice providing emotional punches between the action. My favorite: Why did you do it? So simple, yet so hard to answer - what you'll attempt to do in this fic! :)

Wonderful, gripping opening! Now I want to read it all over again. :D

=D= =D=

5. kenobiwanobi

kenobiwanobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2005
    Wow Master, what a beautiful start!~

I now realize that I have quite a way to go before I come anywhere close to yours talents;at least you'll be here to help me along...I am the luckiest padawan on the boards!

Please PM me with updates Master.

6. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    I so agree with the others! Wonderful start! Poor Obi :(

Please add me to the PM list as well! :D :D

7. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    :_| :_| :_| :_|

Wonderfully done!

You really captured Obi-Wan's character very well.

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

8. Darth_Abtranor

Darth_Abtranor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2005
    Excellent! Please PM me when you update.
    :D

9. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Ooooooh I'm so very glad you sent me a link to this one, especially since Qui-Gon is going to be in it later :D What a fascinating beginning! Very excellent portrayal of Obi-Wan's thoughts during the battle on Mustafar. Excellent job! If you've got a PM list, please put me on it :D

10. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Oh, I really enjoyed this stormqueen874 - I look forward to reading the rest! Could you please pm me with updates? Thank you!

Wonderful start =D=

11. CherryLightsaber

CherryLightsaber Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    Wow, I'm glad I read this. The prologue adds a new, interesting layer of depth to the events on Mustafar. I can't wait for more!

Can I be added to your PM list?

12. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    I love this!!! So far it's good, and trust me, you got me thinking!!

Please PM me when you update.

EG

13. bmwgurl17

bmwgurl17 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2005
    Why Anakin?

I want to know the same answer:D. Keep going;)

14. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    An excellent start, stormqueen!!

Very intense and chilling! I really enjoyed the shifts between the self-recriminating questions and the tormented sensation of Obi-Wan's impending death. Definitely gave me the shivers.

Obi-Wan breathed in, his lungs protesting when noxious fumes filled them, the air scalding sensitive tissue. He shut his eyes then, though Vader?s bitter face rose before him just the same, the yellow eyes taunting, accusing, hating.

That's just plain powerful!

I'm looking forward to more! Please put me on your PM list.

15. JediMormon

JediMormon Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2006
    I'm going to enjoy this story! I like the way you've written Obi-Wan and what he thinks will be his final thoughts. Put me on the P.M list if you're making one!

~ The Mormon Jedi

16. stormqueen874

Aug 7, 2005
    Wow! *gapes at number of reviewers* I?m so glad that people are enjoying this! Anyway, I suppose I ought to get down to business and write some replies, eh? For those of you waiting for updates, I?ll be sure to do so tomorrow, when I have access to my own computer again. Right now I?m on one at school. :rolleyes:

Meredith_Kenobi: Aw, thank you so much!

Then I just read the italics and it was very sad, distraught, heart wrenching. Then I read it without the italics. It was very intense, very emotive. And I must say it was very good all three ways.

That indeed was my intention! I?m glad it came through! I?ll be sure to PM you with an update. :D

G_Anakin: Glad you?re interested! *grins* I?ll be sure to PM you!

Nienna_Narmolanya: Yay! Nienna! Glad you?re here, my dear! *hugs* I?m happy that the prologue has you wanting to read the story all over again; that means I?ve done something right! *does a happy dance*

kenobiwanobi: Ah, padawan, you made it! *grins* I?m glad you?re enjoying the story, and don?t worry, your writing is wonderful! I?ll be sure to PM you when I update, mmkay? :)

Kynstar: Ah, Kynstar, my dear! So good to see you! I?m glad you?re enjoying this, and I?m adding you to my PM list!

KELIA: Aw, don?t cry! *hands a box of tissues* I?m glad my writing was strong enough to invoke such a reaction; I must be doing something right! Plan for an update every Wednesday or so, and I hope the rest of the story lives up to your expectations!

Darth_Abtranor: Thanks! :) I?ll add you to the list!

Layren: Ah, Layren! So good to see you! [:D] Yes, this story has plenty of Qui-Gon in it; in fact, he?s just as much a character as Obi-Wan is. I realized how much I loved writing him; he?s just a squishy teddy bear, isn?t he? :D I?ll be sure to PM you when I update!

Kestrel_Kenobi: Thanks! [face_blush] I?ll be sure to PM you, don?t worry!

CherryLightsaber: Ah, Cherry! Long time to see, eh? I?m glad you liked the prologue, and I?ll be sure to add you to the PM list! *grin*

EGKenobi: Thanks! I?m glad it got you thinking, and I?ll PM you, never fear! :)

bmwgurl17: You?ll get an answer, don?t worry! Thanks for reviewing!

Sounderwan: Ah, SW! [:D] I?m glad you enjoyed it; I felt like I was writing prose with the prologue sometimes, esp. at the part you highlighted. I?ll be sure to keep you posted with updates!

JediMormon: Thanks so much! [face_blush] I?ll be sure to add you to the PM list!

(looks over to make sure she got everyone) Yeah, I?m pretty sure that?s it. Look for an update with Chapter One tomorrow, everyone!

-Stormqueen

17. stormqueen874

Aug 7, 2005
    Okay, welcome to chapter one! :D Before I begin I want to quickly say that parts of this chapter are taken directly from TPM, and a little bit has been taken from RotS. Neither of these elements belong to me; they are all copyrighted to George Lucas, and I am merely reproducing them in order to furthur my story along.

Now off with you! Enjoy the chapter!

Time: During the Naboo Crisis
    Place: Tatooine

I can?t believe it, Anakin thought, huffing and puffing as he struggled to keep up with Qui-Gon. Maybe I?ve lost my mind; I?ve been out in the sun too long. Yeah, that must be it. There is absolutely no way I heard him right.

?Anakin! Keep up!?

He made a sour face at Qui-Gon?s voice. Nope, he?d heard right after all. Apparently walking briskly -Anakin was already jogging- wasn?t enough for the Jedi; he wanted to break out into a full on run. During the hottest part of the Tatooine day, in an area with sand that sucked at their ankles with every step, and with absolutely no shade in sight.

Yup, Anakin thought as he tightened his grip on his backpack and swallowed around his already parched throat. I?ve lost it. Too many podrace crashes. They?ve destroyed what little brains I might?ve had.

Then he was running, running as fast as his nine-year old legs could carry him in an attempt to keep up with the long-limbed Jedi Master. His pack slapped heavily against his back and he stumbled repeatedly when it threw him off balance. He made the mistake of throwing a hand out to catch himself and jerked back with a yelp; the sand was painfully hot. He was starting to feel it through the thin soles of his boots and the part of him that wasn?t focused on surviving this little jaunt through the Wastes began to grumble about being better off with Watto.

No, he told himself, setting his jaw and slamming those mental doors before they could be fully opened. I promised Mom I wouldn?t look back. So I?m not gonna. I?ve got to believe that we?ll get to our destination soon. Qui-Gon?s smart enough to realize it?s crazy to be running out here and he wouldn?t be doing it without good reason.

Any reason a powerful Jedi Master might have for running in this heat was reason enough for Anakin to be following, and as fast as possible.

His grumbling side settled, but not without one final burst of frustration when Anakin slipped again, the sand nearly scalding his bottom.

?You?re doing well, Ani! Just a little further!?

Anakin drew a deep, hot breath at Qui-Gon?s yell of encouragement, and another part of him flushed with pride from the simple words, which gave new strength to his aching legs. He skidded down another dune only to feel a rush of relief that they?d come to a relatively flat spot.

?Mister Qui-Gon, sir,? he called, panting, ?can we rest? I?m getting tired!?

?Not yet,? the Jedi Master responded. ?We?re almost there. Can?t you see the ship??

Anakin?s head snapped up at Qui-Gon?s statement, his eyes combing the glaring horizon for any sign of their destination. He grinned sheepishly when his gaze finally landed on the gleaming spaceship; how in the world had he missed it? The silver surface shone brightly in the sun, practically beckoning him to hurry into its temperate interior and explore the mysterious depths of its cool shadows. He nearly stopped to stare and take in every possible detail, but momentum kept him moving and excitement flooded his veins.

?Wizard!? he whispered, forcing himself to run faster, despite the stitch that settled in his side and the sweat that poured down his forehead. That sleek, beautiful ship was his ticket off the forsaken rock of Tatooine, and no amount of fatigue was going to stop him now that he could almost taste his freedom.

Fate, it seemed, was determined to stall him.

?Anakin!?

Qui-Gon?s shout made Anakin?s head snap up, his attention instantly upon the Jedi Master.

?Drop!?

He obeyed without question, landing face-first in the sand just as a speeder bike of so

18. JediMormon

JediMormon Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2006
    Oh, I'm going to enjoy this! I thought that you'd have the other Obi-Wan show up in his own body, not show up in his younger self. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's reactions once he wakes up. I liked how you wrote Anakin as well; his thoughts were very much like that of a nine year-old boy's. Keep the updates coming!

~ The Mormon Jedi

19. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Oooooooooo ooooh this is interesting! And what a refreshingly original way to do things! Having Master Obi-Wan wake up in his padawan body :D Excellent excellent! I am really looking forward to more!

20. bibphile

bibphile Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2003
    I hope Obi-Wan can remember that little Anakin hasn't done anything wrong yet. All in all this might be very odd for Obi-Wan. Qui-Gon in alive. Anakin is a child. Amidal is queen rather than senator (and he shouldn't even know she's Padme). Palpatine isn't even chancellor yet. And everyone at the Temple is going to treat him as a Padawan rather than a council member.

This could be interesting. I look forward to seeing what happens next.

Edited because I really don't need to read stories when I only have like five minutes. I totally misunderstand things.

21. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Stormqueen, that chatper was awesome! I really loved the way you addedd a bit to TPM, very imaginative. And Obi collapsing as well, past and future linking up, I'm very intrigued by your story.

Please update soon

EG

P.S thanks for the PM

22. kenobiwanobi

kenobiwanobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2005
    It is a post like this that reminds me why I love to write!~ Amazing job Master...I absolutly loved your Obi-Wan and of course Ani, but the way you ended this post was what will remain in my mind until the next time I read your story. Wonderful job Master; I don't know what else to say...

:)

23. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    Very interesting beginning! I'm really curious how this will change the storyline we know from the movies...

Could you PM me on updates please?

24. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Wow! What a whomping chapter! :D

Poor Obi :( he thinks Qui is dead (well in his other timeline yep, but not this one! He gets more time! If limited :( )

Great update! Can't wait for chapter 2! [face_dancing]

25. G__Anakin

G__Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2006
    Great Chapter

Thanks for the PM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.